Welcome to PatsFans.com

Marvelous Marvin Hagler is 53 today

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PonyExpress, May 23, 2007.

1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Marvin turns 53 today. IMO the greatest Boston athlete of my lifetime. A warrior monk, a killing machine, the Marvelous One personified grit toughness, discipline, heart and artistry. Just look at Hearns' face in his corner after round 2. Manny Stewart's words of advice and encouragement were meaningless. Tommy realized that the angel of death was in the ring with him. Here's to Marvin, largely forgotten by Boston's sports culture, but IMO its greatest sports hero behind Russell. After watching every significant middleweight, I believe Hagler was the greatest middleweight champion of all time, ahead of Sugar Ray Robinson. He was never knocked down in his career, and it can be argued he never lost a fight. Of his 3 losses, the two early decisions to Monroe and Boogaboo were crooked gifts by Philly judges to hometown heroes, avenged by brutal knockouts. The Leonard loss took place after a decade of brilliant victories in the golden age of middleweight boxing, and that too was highly controversial. Denied a rematch by the overrated showman Leonard (who, like Ali, was the beneficiary of numerous questionable decisions due to marketability) Hagler retired and unfortunately has since slipped into obscurity. It can be argued that the bitter taste left after Leonard's dubious victory, and the subsequent retirement of Hagler, ended boxing's claim to legitimacy as a mainstream American sport. All that remained was the corrupt Tyson circus and the gradual decline of the middleweights reaching its nadir with the latest Mayweather De La Hoya Debacle. My Boston athlete rankings (in my lifetime)

1. Hagler
    2. Bird
    3. Brady
    4. Clemens
    5. Hannah
    6. Pedro
    7. Bourque
    8. Neely
    9. McHale
    10. Tippett

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -1

MAH-velous! Happy Birthday.

3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

I was fortunate enough to see the very greatest, Bill Russell and the great Ted Williams in my lifetime. I'd put Brady ahead of Bird.

Happy Bday Marv!

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,391 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

He was one beautiful fighter. Technically perfect and could switch between lefty and righty with ease.

Never got his full due. Sugar Ray avoided him for years after Marvin gained his long held away title. Then Leonard waited until Marvin was into his mid thirties before he deigned to take him on. Oh, what could have been.

5. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Marvin Hagler was on the the greatest of all time. At the time, I thought Hagler beat Sugar Ray. I kept meaning to go back and see the fight again to see if I still agree.

6. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

Hagler Hearns was the best boxing match EVER in my opinion.

If anyone hasn't seen it I urge you to do so - especially if you're not a big boxing fan - this one is that good.

You know all those pre-fight hypes where the guys posture and act like they hate each other? These guys weren't acting - they hated each other. It didn't matter what their trainers told them going into the fight about strategy - forget about "boxing" - as soon as the bell rung they wanted to knock each other's heads off - and one of them nearly did.

Hagler showed tremendous heart - pretty much winning the fight through the first three rounds only to have his eye open up pouring out blood - making the ref come close to ending the fight in the third round.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it - best thing to do is just watch (gotta love the slow motion replays from above the ring as well!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHSHd1xfpY

Last edited: May 26, 2007