PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martz statement on Spygate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/05/thoughts_from_m.html

Mike Martz on Super Bowl XXXVI walkthrough
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff May 15, 2008 07:37 PM

Former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz released the following statement tonight, through the San Francisco 49ers, where he is serving as offensive coordinator:

"I had the opportunity to talk to Commissioner [Roger] Goodell yesterday and I was very satisfied with the NFL’s efforts to investigate the situation with Matt Walsh as it related to Super Bowl XXXVI. I’m very confident that there was no impropriety. I believed Bill Belichick when he said there wasn’t and I took that at face value.

"Let me make this clear – we lost to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl because we turned the ball over three times. If there was anything obtained from our walk-thru from a casual observer that happened to be present, then that was just part of those walk-thrus and that environment. What I’ve said all along and what my only concerns were if A): If the walk-thru was filmed or B): If it was purposely scouted for information. If so, then that is an issue that the league needs to pursue. I’m very satisfied that this was not the situation in this instance whatsoever.

"I was stunned at Matt Walsh’s allegation that he was on the sideline in New England Patriots apparel during our walk-thru. I find that insulting, disturbing and a slap in the face to both our team security and NFL security, who both do outstanding jobs. I promise you that if he was on the sideline, he was not in New England Patriots apparel because he would have been identified.

"This whole issue is based on statements made by Matt Walsh, and I think we have to understand that.

"I’m very grateful for Commissioner Goodell to take the time to talk to me about this. It’s time to put this situation behind us.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well said and strongly worded statement. It would be nice if other coaches imply to the media of the need to move on. While Martz was involved those not involved can help also.

Hey, people, there's an upside to LIEgate! Next time I'm in Hawaii, I'll know where to go for golf lessons...

Wow when did Mike Martz get a brain???:D

I like how in the same sentence he says team and league security screwed up royally he also applauds their work.

I like this part

"I was stunned at Matt Walsh’s allegation that he was on the sideline in New England Patriots apparel during our walk-thru. I find that insulting, disturbing and a slap in the face to both our team security and NFL security, who both do outstanding jobs. I promise you that if he was on the sideline, he was not in New England Patriots apparel because he would have been identified.

"This whole issue is based on statements made by Matt Walsh, and I think we have to understand that.

He saying take Matt Walsh with a grain of salt, he might have misremembered

Can you find Waldo......errrr, I mean Matt Walsh? Since they had just done the team photo, I'm pretty sure he was wearing Pats garb. If Rams or NFL security didn't see him doing his job while authorized (Goodell's words) with a bright white shirt with a Patriots logo on it then I guess Martz must be blind.
imgdynhd1.jpg

J D Sal

One important note:

Martz is aware the Pats were taping sideline signals during the 2001 season. But he still says the Pats beat his Rams in the SB fair and square.

ERGO

Despite any sidelined taping, all the Pats Sb victories were fair and square according to Martz.

If Martz felt differently about "side line taping" I'm sure he would mention it.

Misremembered being the polite term for "having delusions of grandeur".

Can you find Waldo......errrr, I mean Matt Walsh? Since they had just done the team photo, I'm pretty sure he was wearing Pats garb. If Rams or NFL security didn't see him doing his job while authorized (Goodell's words) with a bright white shirt with a Patriots logo on it then I guess Martz must be blind.
imgdynhd1.jpg

J D Sal

Is he wearing his toupee?

where is that stl reporter who said the rams were not responsible if another team personnel was on their sidelines.

I have to say, I actually agree with Martz.

I suspect that Walsh wasn't on the sideline at all, and he just made that up, as well as the Daboll stuff which Daboll says either didn't happen or can't remember.

Yet another screwy part of the story.

I have to say, I actually agree with Martz.

I suspect that Walsh wasn't on the sideline at all, and he just made that up, as well as the Daboll stuff which Daboll says either didn't happen or can't remember.

Yet another screwy part of the story.

It's really very simple. MATT WALSH LIED. He never had any video of a walkthru. If he did, that tape would have been released a long time ago. The more I hear this guy talk, the more he exposes himself as a fraud and a liar.
He stole 8 tapes because he had aspirations of being a coach someday. Really? Why did you take the cheerleader video Mr. Walsh? Were you planning on coaching cheerleaders too? Then he claims that HE DIDN'T TAPE THAT ONE. He stole 8 tapes to supposedly help him become a coach, and I guess he accidently took that one. :rolleyes: YEAH RIGHT. :rolleyes:

This is exactly why he wanted INDEMNIFICATION. THE NFL KNOWS THAT HE LIED.

What? Walsh couldn't have lied. I mean afterall, he SAID he was there...isn't that good enough for everybody to believe him? Afterall, everyone from the press to a Senator seem to. :rolleyes:

I have noticed that this information is not available on ESPN.com...shocking. :eek:

BTW, in the 2001 picture, who are numbers 14, 15, and 16? Backup punters?

Last edited:
I have noticed that this information is not available on ESPN.com...shocking. :eek:

BTW, in the 2001 picture, who are numbers 14, 15, and 16? Backup punters?
#14 was RB Walter Williams on IR. #15 was WR Jimmy Farris on the Practice Squad. #16 was WR Scott McCready, also on the practice squad.

J D Sal

I like how in the same sentence he says team and league security screwed up royally he also applauds their work.

Actually he saying Walsh is a liar for saying he was there in Patriots apparel. Read it carefully:

"I promise you that if he was on the sideline, he was not in New England Patriots apparel because he would have been identified.

"This whole issue is based on statements made by Matt Walsh, and I think we have to understand that."

Now the Arlen Specter backlash is beginning to gain national momentum.

I said three days ago that this was going to be our turn at bat finally. It's all happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back