PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marshawn Lynch vs the Media - PFWA 'extremely disappointed' with Lynch

The things he says, the way he acts and carries himself. Doesn't seem like a very likable guy. Compare to someone other former Pats (and there's a million of them in the media) like Willie Mac who I think is awesome.

Can you cite specific examples?

AFAIC, the question about Marshawn Lynch is: Does he have a legit phobia, or has he simply decide to enter "*******-mode"? Sorry, but I lean towards the latter. He may not exactly be the most articulate fellow in the world, but there are plenty of examples of him having interviews where he seemed at ease, even playful (so playful that there have honestly been allegations that he was high).

Phobias like this don't just randomly appear out of nowhere. There is little in his past to suggest that it is a lifelong problem. I don't believe he has a phobia, I think he is just pissed off at some of the coverage he has gotten in the past - and perhaps rightfully so - so he has made a decision to be as uncooperative as possible.

As would I, but I'm not exactly shocked and disgusted that a physical, downhill runner would say that about a ILB that he used to go head up against. Add in the fact that said ILB's team used to beat Lynch's team all the time and I'm not about to stop the presses. It's football. These two have probably said worse about one another's sexuality, for example, on the field.

Agreed on all points. I dont have any real problems with Lynch just was responding to a poster saying is a Patriot type of guy and would love him here. I counter a Patriot type of guy would not rip the greatest Patriots like that and is enough for me not to like said player anymore.

AFAIC, the question about Marshawn Lynch is: Does he have a legit phobia, or has he simply decide to enter "*******-mode"? Sorry, but I lean towards the latter. He may not exactly be the most articulate fellow in the world, but there are plenty of examples of him having interviews where he seemed at ease, even playful (so playful that there have honestly been allegations that he was high).

Phobias like this don't just randomly appear out of nowhere. There is little in his past to suggest that it is a lifelong problem. I don't believe he has a phobia, I think he is just pissed off at some of the coverage he has gotten in the past - and perhaps rightfully so - so he has made a decision to be as uncooperative as possible.

Gotta love the armchair psychology here. Did you even watch Lynch this week? He was not only visibly uncomfortable, but he was even clearly shaken at times. Completely out of his element at least. His fullback buddy bailed him out as much as he could. Lynch just doesn't have much to say to the media on top of that. Questions can be ridiculous and answers taken out of context. Just wants to play football...is that so hard to understand? There are different types of interviews too. Dealing with the media is a game, too.

I don't know why the Pro Football Writers of America have their panties in a bunch so much, anyway. They have their story here, and then some. Don't they? That's what their looking for after all, isn't it? Lots of material to write about Lynch this week.

Gotta love the armchair psychology here.
So my armchair psychology is wrong because I say he doesn't have a phobia, but the armchair psychology of everyone else is right? Yeah that makes sense. :rolleyes:
Did you even watch Lynch this week? He was not only visibly uncomfortable, but he was even clearly shaken at times. Completely out of his element at least. His fullback buddy bailed him out. He just doesn't have much to say to the media on top of that. Just wants to play football...is that so hard to understand? There are different types of interviews too.
Yeah, I saw him this week. Now have you ever seen (or heard of him) prior to this week? He has given many interviews in the past (going all the way back to college) where he was perfectly at ease and even a bit playful. As I mentioned above, he has, in the past, been seen as so "playful" sometimes that he has been accused of being high.
I don't know why the Pro Football Writers of America have their panties in a bunch so much, anyway. They have their story here, and then some.
And this brings us back to my original comment in this thread. By entering *******-mode, he has brought far more attention to himself than he would have than by just answering the questions sans attitude.

So my armchair psychology is wrong because I say he doesn't have a phobia, but the armchair psychology of everyone else is right? Yeah that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I saw him this week.

How did he look to you this week during the media press conference?

Now have you ever seen (or heard of him) prior to this week? He has given many interviews in the past (going all the way back to college) where he was perfectly at ease and even a bit playful. As I mentioned above, he has, in the past, been seen as so "playful" sometimes that he has been accused of being high.

He didn't talk to the Buffalo media for at least a year before too. He's a bit playful sometimes because that's in his personality, and he tries not to take it seriously. I saw him being playful this week too, right after I saw his head shaking from nervousness. When you are as good of a player as he is, you cannot dodge the media forever.

Who accused him of being high during interviews?

So And this brings us back to my original comment in this thread. By entering *******-mode, he has brought far more attention to himself than he would have than by just answering the questions sans attitude.

This is a ridiculous theory on so many levels that I don't know where to begin. You really think that he wants THIS type of attention?

Do you dislike him? No matter what else he is, the guy is authentic from what I have seen.

For whatever it's worth, I saw a comment on Deadspin that was from someone who knew a team doctor on Seattle. The doctor says that Lynch is not just one of the nicest guys on the team, he is unequivocally the nicest. He was humble, gracious, and flattered by the things Deion was saying to him in his interview. He is shy.

When people accuse people of "doing things for attention", to me it always speaks more to the accuser than the one being accused. Do you really know that many adults that do things strictly for attention? Strictly to be noticed? He's wildly popular in Seattle, he gets plenty of attention. He gets noticed. That accusation is bizarre. I do not know of any adult that I interact with in my personal life that does things strictly so that people will look at them. What, then, is Lynch's devious motivation. Maybe, just maybe, he really just doesn't like talking to these buffoons who are going to ask him about "raining on strippers" or "do you have a lot of one night stands?" These are real questions these players were asked on media day. The reporters are the ones who want to get noticed, not Lynch.

Why we expect these guys to be all things to all people at all times is beyond me. He is not a statesman. He is not running for office. He is running the football, and he is going to be running over around and through the Broncos on Sunday. I hope he wins Super Bowl MVP, and says very little when he gets the trophy. Go 'Hawks.

So everyone here hating on Marshawn, please explain to me why it annoys you and how it effects you on your daily regiment....the answer is it doesnt...who honestly cares what ANY of these players have to say...Beast modes interview with Deion was the best IN YEARS!!!!! by far, sorry, im not interested in who Russel Wilsons NYC crush is, or what hes going to eat for breakfast before the superbowl, or how much endorsement money Peyton Manning got for saying "I cant wait to get home and put a nice cold budlight in my mouth" I personally wish more players did this... FRIG sports journalism, the media, and anyone else who's objetive is to expose these players and make them seem in-human. I dont care how much money they make, you cant put a price on privacy. Hell, Gronk cant even go out with a friend and give him the peoples elbow without Pats nation passin a kidney stone. Let these kids live, look yourself in the mirror.

Lay off the dude, he might have said **** bruschi but I gurantee our own team has said 30000X worst ****...btw why dont you get on Belichick for his post-game philosophies?

Yeah, I saw him this week. Now have you ever seen (or heard of him) prior to this week? He has given many interviews in the past (going all the way back to college) where he was perfectly at ease and even a bit playful. As I mentioned above, he has, in the past, been seen as so "playful" sometimes that he has been accused of being high.
And this brings us back to my original comment in this thread. By entering *******-mode, he has brought far more attention to himself than he would have than by just answering the questions sans attitude.

Couple of things SB. I do think Lynch as a pheobia speaking to large groups, but I also agree that he smokes the funny cigarettes. I think that's blatenly obvious lol.

Not saying you, but I think the issue people have with him not speaking is his persona. Comes from a rough part of Oakland, has dreads, speaks in slang, looks high half the time. Then when people see him ignoring the media, you know he's being called a thug or what not. I think the phoebia is real though. Seahawks full back Micheal Robinson, as a popular online video blog called the Real Rob Report, he interviews the locker room, players, coaches, medical staff etc. Lynch always shys away from the camera. Its become a game with Robinson, but you can tell its awkward with Lynch. Hell cover his face with a hoodie or hat so not to be seen, or hell put on his headphones and blast music, so he won't hear questions. Its awkward.

Regards to him looking and acting high in interviews....Well I don't know if you watch the Big Bang Theory, but the Indian dude Raj, he's deathly afraid to talk to girls. Only way he talks is if he has some alcohol in him. Well this thing with Lynch reminds me of that! :D

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back