Marshall Faulk: "Tom was like Trent Dilfer and he became a Peyton Manning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
NFL Videos: Finding the guy

@ 1:38

Basically then went on to call Brady the equivalent of Trent Dilfer until 2007.

The bitter Marshall Faulk quotes of insanity continue.

Last edited:
The "Brady was nothing but a game managing QB" misconception is annoying.

The use of Trent Dilfer as the standard for game managing QBs is also annoying.

NFL Videos: Finding the guy

@ 1:38

Basically then went on to call Brady the equivalent of Trent Dilfer until 2007.

The bitter Marshall Faulk quotes of insanity continue.

Why can't he say that Brady's career path went in the same direction as Joe Montana's. That comparison is more plausible IMO. He can even say Montana is better than Brady and most would agree.

Dilfer was a Round-1 QB who never reached expectations, but overall had a decent playing career.

Sheesh.

Brighter minds appear to have prevailed. Doesn't take much when Marshall is your foil. And if you wonder why Mooch has never gotten out of the booth and back on the field as a HC, just listen to a guy who has never met a lesson learned. LOL

Marshall Faulk is a moron. I also heard that he said Leon Washington reminds him of Barry Sanders. Um...okay.

What is wrong with managing your team to three sb victories? Don't other teams have systems.Makes no since.

managing the game is winning the game.. Irvin had Tom's back..
brady showed manning how to play with cajones...

The next intelligent thing Faulk says will be his first. The guy is horrible. I still don't get how he still has a job on the NFL Network. He is so out of his league there. And when I say out of his league, I am comparing him to Jamie Dukes. That's how bad he is.

I wouldn't wipe my ***** with a Marshall Faulk jersey. What the hell is this guy's problem? Trent Dilfer would not have won three Super Bowls. What a tool.

Deion, Michael Irvin, and Marshall Faulk together? Talk about a meeting of the minds. I see NFL Network's strategy is, put three former players who don't know what they are talking about and are known to say outrageous things in a room and let them make fools of themselves. Granted Deion is a little better than the other two bozos.

Marshall has been getting better. Last night on NFLTA he said he would like to read Tom Brady's book in the 4 down segment. Saying something along the lines of going from a 6th round pick to a football god.

Marshall Faulk started as a great football player and ended up like Corky from Life Goes On.

Out of curiosity I looked up Dilfer's playoff statistics from the 2000 Ravens championship season, and I was pretty amazed to see how little he was called up to throw the ball. Check it out:

Wildcard round vs. Broncos (W, 21-3)
9/14, 130 yards, 1 TD

Divisional round @ Titans (W, 24-10)
5/16, 117 yards

AFC Championship @ Raiders (W, 16-3)
9/18, 190 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int (most of his yardage came on a 96 yard catch and run by Sharpe)

Super Bowl 34 vs. Giants (W, 34-7)
12/25, 153 yards, 1 TD

The fact is, Brady was called on to throw the ball a lot more during the Pats championship runs than Dilfer was this one year. I wouldn't call Dilfer a "game manager" as much as a "completely depend on your record setting defense and great running game QB". The Pats had very good defenses and solid running games for the Pats' 3 title runs, but Brady was a far bigger contributor than Dilfer ever was for the Ravens during their run. Brady threw 50+ passes against Oakland in the snow. Brady threw 48 times for over 300 yards and 3 TDs in SB 38 against Carolina. Brady actually had to lead game winning drives in SBs while Dilfer just coasted. The Brady-Dilfer comparisons need to stop NOW.

NFLN has lost out on Harrison and Gruden so far this season. Perhaps if he's headed for the airways Tedy should dust off Bill's game plan for XXXVI and take Marshall out of the NFLN lineup. Now that the Network is reaching millions more homes it would be akin to performing a public service.

I was going to show statistical proof of why Marshall Faulk is wrong here, but then it occurred to me, everyone knows he's dumb, so what's the point.

I didn't bother clicking the link, but that's a ridiculous comment by Faulk. Just to show how stupid Faulk's theory is, here are a few comparisons between the two quarterbacks: prior to 2007 for Brady and through Dilfer's SB year in Baltimore (he was a backup after that):

Touchdown passes and Interceptions
Dilfer: 1/6, 4/18, 12/19, 21/11, 21/15, 11/11, 12/11; 6-year total 82/91
Brady: 18/12, 28/14, 23/12, 28/14, 26/14, 21/12; 7-year total 147/76
career: Dilfer 3.6 TD%, 4.1 INT%; Brady 5.4 TD%, 2.4 INT%

Passer Rating
Dilfer: 36.3, 60.1, 64.8, 82.8, 74.0, 75.8, 76.6; career: 70.2
Brady: 86.5, 85.7, 85.9, 92.6, 92.3, 87.9; career: 92.9

Completion Percentage
Dilfer: 46.3, 54.0, 55.4, 56.2, 52.4, 59.8, 59.3; career: 55.5
Brady: 63.9, 62.1, 60.2, 60.8, 63.0, 61.8; career: 63.0

Yards per Attempt
Dilfer: 5.3, 6.7, 5.9, 6.6, 6.4, 6.6, 6.6; career: 6.5
Brady: 6.9, 6.3, 6.9, 7.8, 7.8, 6.8; career: 7.2

Faulk may also want to note that Brady led the NFL in touchdowns in 2002 and yards in 2005, so his theory that Brady did nothing prior to 2007 is bogus. By comparison the only thing Dilfer came close to leading the league in was most interceptions thrown, when he was fourth in both '95 and '96.

Marshall Faulk has made a lot of dumb comments about the Pats over the years, but this one may be the most idiotic opinion of his ever.

Marshall Faulk.................................:rolleyes:'nuff said.

it sucks when guys dont bother pointing out obvious statistics in a debate like this. For example, Brady led the NFL in passing TDs in 2002, his 2nd year as a starter. Does that sound like a game manager to anyone? Sounds like the best guy in the league to me at throwing TD passes. Then, in his 2nd Superbowl, he sets an NFL record for completions in a SB(32 if Im not mistaken). Does that sound like a game manager to anyone? Or a guy pulling a 'Trent Dilfer' and solely relying on his D? Sounds like a guy setting offensive records, playing his position at the highest possible level and basically being the friggin' man! Faulk is a knucklehead, period, when it comes to discussing the Pats. His opinion there will always be jaded, and I hope the NFL Network hires Ted Bruschi to specifically take his spot.

Hes bitter, let the baby have his bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye