PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marshall Faulk "Patriots can only tie for best ever - Never break any Wins record"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Marshall Faulk "Patriots can only tie for best ever - Never break any Wins record

I don't see the big deal here. Perfect is Perfect, and Faulk's got a perfectly valid point about that.
19-0 is still better than 16-0. So if we're talking about "best ever" then that concludes the argument for me; of course, we're only 13-0 right now ;)

Re: Marshall Faulk "Patriots can only tie for best ever - Never break any Wins record

Well, I guess we know which Faulk inherited the brains in that family tree. Maybe Kevin should have helped his distant cousin with his math homework.

The names on the "naughty" list grows, but I guess we knew Faulk was on that list after embarrassing his Rams team in New Orleans. First of all, I think that we need to "sticky" a list of names that are anti-Patriots. Second, this is one of the reasons I hate having players turn into NFL analysts; they take their loyalties from the field to the booth. Mark Schelareth (sp?) and Tom Jackson love their Broncos. Michael Irvin loves his thug life, superstar wide outs. Deion Sanders loves himself. Dan Marino loves his legacy and gets bitter when anyone comes close to them. Anyone else?
Totally agree about their Biases...
I personally like non-former players myself.
Rich Eisen is pretty neutral. Of all the ex-players, I like Jamie Dukes, even if he gives more love to the 'big' guys that play the game(which is OK by me).
Keeshawn Johnson is just an idiot on ESPN...
I could go on. LOL!!!

So a moron said something moronic.

Why does that require a separate thread?

Well said!

I have a six sided die at home and was curious if it was loaded.

I wondered if it was rigged to roll a 6 evertime. My first roll came up a 6! No need to proceed further, that die will roll a 6 every time!

If you put the men in their time, then yes, the Dolphins were the best of their time.

The Patriots are obviously the best of their time.

Otto Graham's Cleveland Browns were probably the best of their time.

The 'Boys of the '80's, the Niners of the '90's were unquestionably the best of their time.

The Steelers owned the '70's.

And so it goes.

The difference here, tho, when invoking the title, "Best Of All Time", is taking in the big picture.

All these teams I've listed were, over a period of years, quite dominant.

Save one.

The '72 Miami Dolphins, owners of a 17-0 season, who ran the table on a schedule who's winning percentage was .396.

The following season they were quite good, but failed to capitalize by winning the Super Bowl.

In terms of winning percentage, yes, Marshall Faulk is right - it can never be beaten. Only equaled.

That, however, does not mean the two teams, given their respective moments in history, are equal. They are not.

We cannot denigrate the fine efforts of that '72 Miami team, nor should we want to. They earned everything that came their way that season, and whatever followed for them.

But observers like Faulk, likewise, cannot denigrate the fine effort of this '07 Patriot team. Winning percentage is an indicator of a team's proficiency (winning is, after all, everything), but you cannot, on that basis, say they are the same. Only the outcome of their respective efforts have been the same.

And that is all.

Marshall Faulk is one of the worst analysts ever. If he didn't actually play football I would wonder if he ever watched an NFL game. The guy is clueless.

No serious student of the game thinks that the 1972 Dolphins were the best ever.

Most would agree that the 1973 Dolphins were a better team than the 1972 Dolphins.

The 1972 Dolphins were special for two reasons:

1. They won every game
2. They played an historically easy schedule. Modern NFL scheduling practices make it impossible for any NFL franchise to ever again play such a cake schedule.

This schedule included:

ZERO games against playoff teams
ZERO games against teams more than two games over .500
TWO games against teams over .500

In contrast the 1973 Dolphins played:

3 games against playoff teams
5 games against teams more than two games over .500
6 games against teams over .500

They lost one game in week 2 to the Oakland Raiders by a score of 7-12.
They went on to defeat the Raiders in the playoffs by a score of 27-10.

They lost a second game in week 13 at the lowly Colts, after HFA was already clinched.

BTW, as of right now the 2007 Patriots will have played:

6 games against playoff teams
6 games against teams more than two games over .500
8 games against teams over .500

This would be a very difficult schedule, potentially punctuated with games against 15-1 and 14-2 opponents.

None of the great teams (1962 Packers, 1985 Bears, 1989 49ers) ever faced such difficult opponents. Only once, when the 1962 Packers faced the 12-2 Giants in the championship game, did any of these teams face an opponent at least 10 games over 500 during the regular season.

Last edited:

Faulk's an idiot....that much isn't debatable!

Joe D's- 56 game hit streak = Pete Roses 44 game hit streak

Wanna bet?

MF has never forgiven the Pats for kicking his ***** in Superbowl XXXVI. He has never had a good word to say about them and apparently doesn't realize what a dope he sounds like every time he attempts to give an 'expert' opinion about them. I wonder how far he would take this shtick if it was the Rams who were on a path to an undefeated season. Yeah, right Marshall.

Thank you. I am getting sick of all these whining threads that get started every single time some media loser says something less than reverential about the Pats.

so you and i can add to our post totals. If most people on this forum had it their way, we would only have two or three threads going. It is a message board, post what you want

After week 1 this year San Francisco was 1-0, with a perfect average of 1.000. Guess that means they were the greatest team ever at that time. :rolleyes:

so you and i can add to our post totals. If most people on this forum had it their way, we would only have two or three threads going. It is a message board, post what you want
He did. And what he wanted to post was that he doesn't think this topic is worth a thread to whine about it.

No serious student of the game thinks that the 1972 Dolphins were the best ever.

Most would agree that the 1973 Dolphins were a better team than the 1972 Dolphins.

The 1972 Dolphins were special for two reasons:

1. They won every game
2. They played an historically easy schedule. Modern NFL scheduling practices make it impossible for any NFL franchise to ever again play such a cake schedule.

This schedule included:

ZERO games against playoff teams
ZERO games against teams more than two games over .500
TWO games against teams over .500

In contrast the 1973 Dolphins played:

3 games against playoff teams
5 games against teams more than two games over .500
6 games against teams over .500

They lost one game in week 2 to the Oakland Raiders by a score of 7-12.
They went on to defeat the Raiders in the playoffs by a score of 27-10.

They lost a second game in week 13 at the lowly Colts, after HFA was already clinched.

BTW, as of right now the 2007 Patriots will have played:

6 games against playoff teams
6 games against teams more than two games over .500
8 games against teams over .500

This would be a very difficult schedule, potentially punctuated with games against 15-1 and 14-2 opponents.

None of the great teams (1962 Packers, 1985 Bears, 1989 49ers) ever faced such difficult opponents. Only once, when the 1962 Packers faced the 12-2 Giants in the championship game, did any of these teams face an opponent at least 10 games over 500 during the regular season.

Nice post with accurate historical perspective.

Thanks.;)

The 2007 will not be better than the 1972 fins because they won two more games. The record of an undefeated season of the 1972 indeed cannot be beaten. It can only be tied.

The already patriots have a longer winning streak that 17.

However, IMHO, there are many teams that were better than the 1972 dolphins, including the 2003 and 2004 patriots.

After the season, even if we win the SB, there will be some who believe that the 2007 patriots are the best ever. Some will choose other teams. I believe the point differentials for the playoffs and the SB will be important to many in making this determination.

I hate when they turn former players into TV analyst and when they open their mouths it makes you wonder if they ever set foot in a college classroom or even high school. (see. Emmit smit, Steve young, Shanon sharp, Marshall faulk).
they should reconsider before they give anybody a job like that. I get a headache sometime listening to those idiots. they need to take a speech class or something.

Last edited:

Marshall Faulk who we know is a very big Patriots hater and who holds a grudge since NE went out in February 2002 and toasted the Rams, comes up with another reason why the Patriots season cannot be justifed as best ever,Only as a tie for best ever season with the '72 Dolphins

He says no matter what happens with 16-0 its not a big deal because Miami did it too and even if they go 19-0 the best they can do is tie the Dolphins so the Patriots will never be better than the Dolphins only as a tie.

What this idiot refuses to understand (and was told by Sanders on the same show) is that Miami only played 14 regular season games and 17 in total but then Marshall comes back with his excuse that its still 1.000 percent anyway you look at it.

What no one forgets to add is the Patriots had to do this by convincing top free agents to play for a bit less to win a championship and had to do it during the Cap Era which was not in effect in '72

No matter what anyone ever says to Marshall he refuses to believe or admit that this years team has the potential to be the best to ever set thier cleats on a football field and god forbid someone tell him the 2007 Patriots are better than the 2001 Rams :rolleyes:

The guy was hit too many times... but what else can you expect?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back