PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marques Murrell released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murrel never saw much any action on the Jets other then specials, which I recall he was good at.

sounds like not enough versatility and upside to make the Pats roster.

Perhaps Belichick would rather have Guyton as the #3 OLB if there is an injury, rather than Murrell. And yes, I agree that adding a player is a possibility.

I dont know how safeties take away OLBs. OLBs are DEs in the sub package and we need 2 of them in there. We surely dont have ILBs who can do that. And I dont see which ILBs could be 34 base OLBs.
I dont know that we need a 4th OLB if these 3 stay healthy, but I dont ever remember us only having 3 OLBs.

I think Dane Fletcher is going to be the 4th OLB. He needs to put on about 10 Lbs but is the same size as TBC and Ninkovich otherwise. He had several sacks in College and just need to get up to NFL speed after being injured during the preseason.

He's been listed on the unofficial depth chart behind Ninkovich for a couple of weeks now.

Last edited:
I think Dane Fletcher is going to be the 4th OLB. He needs to put on about 10 Lbs but is the same size as TBC and Ninkovich otherwise. He had several sacks in College and just need to get up to NFL speed after being injured during the preseason.

He's been listed on the unofficial depth chart behind Ninkovich for a couple of weeks now.

When he was signed we all projected him to OLB (DE w/16.5 career sacks in college), but AFAIK he was training exclusively at ILB in camp. It would be surprising to see him suddenly moved to OLB now, but stranger things have happened.

Well, I'm sure he will be signed by the Jets and be a captain at mid field on Sunday...

If our OL shows they can block the Jets, I'd start looking into that rumored(at least from SF) Mankins for Manny Lawson +++ We're going to need bodies soon. Even if we sign Mankins. I wonder what they would want for Lawson.

Says good things about the play @ OLB

That's why we come here.

The Patriots entered the pre-season terribly thin at OLB.
Murrell started one game at OLB; Burgess the other three.
Both have now been released.

They got a sum total of nothing from the LOLB position in the Cincinnati game.

But there's a rosey side to it.

I'm pretty sure I saw Guyton line up at OLB at least one play yesterday,,

Hopefully, The guys with the tapes will clarify.

I think Dane Fletcher is going to be the 4th OLB. He needs to put on about 10 Lbs but is the same size as TBC and Ninkovich otherwise.

So is Fletcher 6'1/237 as he's listed here:
Dane Fletcher - 2010 Draft Tracker - SI.com

or 6'2/250 as he's listed here:
NFL Draft - 2010_OLB Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

He still doesn't have the ideal height for OLB even at 6'2, but I ass-ume that he'll be getting more reps there at practice.

OLB depth is now officially the thinnest - and the overall talent the worst - in the last decade. This defense may not reach 24 sacks for the entire season.

They need one spot for Ojinnaka, presumably.

But they sure seem to need depth at OLB a lot more than guard, given the play of Connolly, Neal, Wendell.

They need one spot for Ojinnaka, presumably.

But they sure seem to need depth at OLB a lot more than guard, given the play of Connolly, Neal, Wendell.

Neal was hurt for several players/series yesterday...that depth on the line is needed at this time.

Last edited:
In the end, Murrell isn't depth at OLB. He is depth at special teams.

As far as OL depth, I agree with carrying the extra lineman as long as Kaczur isn't ready. After that choices open up.

He still doesn't have the ideal height for OLB even at 6'2, but I ass-ume that he'll be getting more reps there at practice.

OLB depth is now officially the thinnest - and the overall talent the worst - in the last decade. This defense may not reach 24 sacks for the entire season.

Well here's how he stacks up to the other OLB's on the roster according to the Patriots.com

TBC - 6'2" 250lbs
Cunningham - 6'3" 260lbs
Fletcher - 6'2" 244lbs
Ninkovich - 6'2" 255lbs

None of these guys are the ideal height/weight for a 3-4 OLB.
So like I said about 10 more lbs and he's right in line with everyone we've got currently.

This has to be to grab Adam Seward. (unless he's busy saving Metropolis again)

Can we put Maneri on the PS after 3 games?

That's why we come here.

The Patriots entered the pre-season terribly thin at OLB.
Murrell started one game at OLB; Burgess the other three.
Both have now been released.

They got a sum total of nothing from the LOLB position in the Cincinnati game.

But there's a rosey side to it.
What game did you watch yesterday?

Can we put Maneri on the PS after 3 games?
I think we can put him there now, could have last week too.
The 3 game rule is for plucking someone off another teams practice squad I believe,

If our OL shows they can block the Jets, I'd start looking into that rumored(at least from SF) Mankins for Manny Lawson +++ We're going to need bodies soon. Even if we sign Mankins. I wonder what they would want for Lawson.

I would much rather trade him for a 2nd or hopefully someone is willing to cough up a 1 and have 2 1sts and 3 2nds or vice versa next year.

And before anyone states the obligatory "no one is going to pay him and give up a high pick"...please see Deion Branch.

I think we can put him there now, could have last week too.
The 3 game rule is for plucking someone off another teams practice squad I believe,

Texas was trying to get him on their practice squad. I'm not sure, which is why I asked, but I think we have some sort of obligation to keep him on the roster a certain time rather than preventing them from adding him to the PS by adding him to ours.

If not, why in the hell are we keeping a roster spot for a TE trying to convert to a lineman? Something doesn't make sense.

I suppose, since he'd have to go through waivers again, they might delay a release til teams are set and they could get him on the squad..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back