PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marques Murrell: Does he make the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The man is actually worse than Ninkovitch in my eyes, but is likely to make the squad due to his ST value.

The fact that the likes of Burgess showed zero last nite improves his stock.

The man is actually worse than Ninkovitch in my eyes, but is likely to make the squad due to his ST value.

How is he worse than the guy whose name you can't spell? :p

Seriously, how is he worse when he's shown more this preseason?

I'm not too sure about that. I didn't see Ninkovich overpursue the way that Murrell did last night.

We still don't have a starting OLB for the base defense.

Even Cunningham is being discussed in terms of a pass-rusher in the sub package, taking many of his reps from Burgess. Of course, Cunningham is an injured rookie.

We still don't have a starting OLB for the base defense.

Even Cunningham is being discussed in terms of a pass-rusher in the sub package, taking many of his reps from Burgess. Of course, Cunningham is an injured rookie.

And that my friend just shows our achilles heel.

Guys, McKenzie will not be cut. Are you serious? He has definitely not played well outside of a few really good plays, but the kid will not be cut. A third-round pick is nothing to scoff at and that's what the Pats used to draft this kid. They'll at least keep him around a little longer to see some return on investment, IMO.

Ask Kevin O'Connell about the job security a third-round draft choice has.

But I think McKenzie makes this team. This is basically his rookie season due to injury and I think the team will take that into consideration. Fletcher got in before him but I think that was more about the coaching staff wanting to see what they had in Fletcher than an indictment against McKenzie.

And back on-topic, Murrell has looked decent out there. I don't know if he'll make the 53, but I wouldn't object to it.

Last edited:
D sure seemed to play better the first two preseason games when Murrell was playing. Can't draw conclusions certainly, but it is what it is.

Ask Kevin O'Connell about the job security a third-round draft choice has.

But I think McKenzie makes this team. This is basically his rookie season due to injury and I think the team will take that into consideration. Fletcher got in before him but I think that was more about the coaching staff wanting to see what they had in Fletcher than an indictment against McKenzie.

And back on-topic, Murrell has looked decent out there. I don't know if he'll make the 53, but I wouldn't object to it.

Fletcher, Alexander are coming in a WILB, McKenzie is coming in at SILB, ie behind Spikes who is getting lots of reps to prepare him to be the starter.

Fletcher, Alexander are coming in a WILB, McKenzie is coming in at SILB, ie behind Spikes who is getting lots of reps to prepare him to be the starter.

That's a good point, and another reason McKenzie makes the team. I was thinking of combine reports that said he might project better at WILB though he played strong and middle in college, but in our system he's absolutely SILB.

The open question is who will start in the 34 2-gap on first down.
Burgess IS NOT up to the task. And, yes, I think Burgess will do better than in 2009.

The choice is whether to start Ninkovich or Murrell. Even if we start Ninkovich, it would good to have Murrell as a backup.

In the end, a lot may be up to the special teams coach. How effective has Murrell and Ninkovich been on special teams. Are they really good enough to be able to cut Alexander?

D sure seemed to play better the first two preseason games when Murrell was playing. Can't draw conclusions certainly, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes