PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marqise Lee

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't think WR is much of a need since there is already a logjam there (Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins)...

but if Marqise Lee drops to our pick, do you pull the trigger?

personally I think he would most likely be BPA and it would be hard to resist even though there are bigger needs at TE and DLine. When he was healthy in 2012 everyone thought he was a top 10 lock.

Then he lost his QB, got injured, and had a down year in 2013. Now he's slated around the 15-25 mark but he could slip a bit since its such a deep WR class.

Based on the players they've looked at, some of us think they may be looking to get a #1 type WR, they have plenty of picks to fill other holes. The reality is that for as many decent WR as we have, none seem to have top potential other than perhaps Dobson. The slot guys are what they are. I like Boyce but he's probably more of an inside guy too. I'm assuming we'll play a lot of 3 WR with the de facto starters as Dobson, LaFell, Edelman. A top pick to push both Dobson and LaFell could be the pick.

Based on fit, likely availability, etc, Lee and Robinson seem to be the most likely. Watkins, Evans, Beckham will be gone. I don't want Benjamin there. Cooks is another little guy.

Personally I would hit the DL early and often but we have to get the offense fixed too and if last year's young guys aren't expected to be good enough this is obviously the draft to tell McDaniels to go "Thomas, Decker" on us.

If a top player drops, you take him, almost regardless of position. This is the draft for that, IMO.

The question then is who gets cut?

2014 WR Drafted
Edelman
LaFell
Dobson
Amendola
Boyce
Thompkins

That's 7 WR's... 1 or 2 would have to be cut. We just signed Edelman and LaFell. Amendola was signed last year. We just drafted Dobson and Boyce last year. Thompkins would be an obvious choice, but who else? I'd hope they could offload Amendola somehow.

It just seems like there's already a huge logjam at WR.

If a top player drops, you take him, almost regardless of position. This is the draft for that, IMO.

Pretty much this. However. that is more true for tier 1 players than tier 2 players. currently it is my opinion Lee is not tier 1 (there are about 10 guys like that this draft IMO).

However he is in the 2nd tier of players In which I currently have 15. If it comes down to him and a 3rd tier player I probably take Lee but I try to trade down as I think a guy like Lee would draw a good trade offer.

Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California.

Those last two words repulse Bill Belichick.

I'm assuming we'll play a lot of 3 WR with the de facto starters as Dobson, LaFell, Edelman.
Just out of curiosity, where do you see the highest paid player at the position (Amendola) fitting in with these 3 "starters?"

The question then is who gets cut?

2014 WR Drafted
Edelman
LaFell
Dobson
Amendola
Boyce
Thompkins

That's 7 WR's... 1 or 2 would have to be cut. We just signed Edelman and LaFell. Amendola was signed last year. We just drafted Dobson and Boyce last year. Thompkins would be an obvious choice, but who else? I'd hope they could offload Amendola somehow.

It just seems like there's already a huge logjam at WR.

Which is exactly why it's probably one of the more obvious BS rumors involving the draft + trading up in quite some time as it pertains to N.England (in my opinion).

Unless of course:

1. They are going to trade Amendola and selling incredibly low

2. They are targeting a TE and not a WR as a "receiving option" and somehow the rumor became twisted like a bad game of "telephone"

3. They aren't nearly as high or convinced about guys like Dobson, Boyce, or Thompkins as the majority of posters seem to think

Pats had him in for a visit today, apparently.

They may take all the WR's they can find, and run a "Survival of the Fittest" type of training camp where no one is really safe.

Marqise Lee is IMO a top 10 talent who can be had in the 15-25 range. He could possibly end up being the best WR in this entire class. Not saying he will since its such a good class, but its possible. He's pretty damn good. Can be a legit #1 WR for the Pats. Brady deserves such a weapon for the last few years of his career.

Still think we have bigger needs at DT/TE/DE.... mostly for depth.... but Lee would be too enticing to pass up.

What? No way. Marquise Lee is a prime target with top WR ability.
While you very well may be correct, I think the topic at hand as it pertained to that comment was more about the lackluster program at USC, and not about the talent of Marquise Lee. There are programs that Belichick reportedly doesn't really care for due to how they run things, attitude, lack of discipline, etc. Whether or not USC is one of them is anyone's guess, but I can definitely see why it may be.

It was actually pretty interesting on Path to the Draft, they were asked a question about guys who had monster years followed by disappointment and how scouts handle prospects in those situations. Lee was one of the guys they talked about at length.

They all seemed to be equally unimpressed with his skills/ability. A lot of their questions came about the size of his frame/strength at the next level and whether or not his big statistical year was just a product of the USC offensive system that always puts up huge numbers. I think it was Casserly who mentioned he watched Lee's 2012 and 2013 tape side by side and wasn't remotely impressed with the stats Lee accumulated.

It was actually pretty interesting on Path to the Draft, they were asked a question about guys who had monster years followed by disappointment and how scouts handle prospects in those situations. Lee was one of the guys they talked about at length.

They all seemed to be equally unimpressed with his skills/ability. A lot of their questions came about the size of his frame/strength at the next level and whether or not his big statistical year was just a product of the USC offensive system that always puts up huge numbers. I think it was Casserly who mentioned he watched Lee's 2012 and 2013 tape side by side and wasn't remotely impressed with the stats Lee accumulated.
funny how he goes from being a sure top 10 pick last season playing with Barkley to unimpressive this year with the trash he had at QB. This is just a common case of everybody piling on a guy who had a down year after a big year (see Bridewater and I think the same thing will happen to Marriota). Lee just wasn't the once in a lifetime type prospect that clowney was so its easier to pitch to people that he wasn't that good to begin with. Did they give him a grade because I'd like to see how it compares to what they said about Robert Woods last year. Lee was pretty much unanimously considered a much better prospect than Woods.

funny how he goes from being a sure top 10 pick last season playing with Barkley to unimpressive this year with the trash he had at QB. This is just a common case of everybody piling on a guy who had a down year after a big year (see Bridewater and I think the same thing will happen to Marriota). Lee just wasn't the once in a lifetime type prospect that clowney was so its easier to pitch to people that he wasn't that good to begin with. Did they give him a grade because I'd like to see how it compares to what they said about Robert Woods last year. Lee was pretty much unanimously considered a much better prospect than Woods.

Yup. I think when websites do re-draft scenarios in a few years from now, Lee will be in the top 10-15.

He doesn't have the height/speed that screams Elite WR, but he has the competitiveness and innate ability to get open.

Would cutting Thompkins really be that big of an upset?? He's a mediocre, at best, UDFA. Lee would be a massive upgrade over Thompkins.

Would cutting Thompkins really be that big of an upset?? He's a mediocre, at best, UDFA. Lee would be a massive upgrade over Thompkins.

Finally someone WHO calls a spade for a spade!

Would love it. We heard the Pats were interested in Robert Woods last year and Lee is a better version.

Give me Lee at 29 and then Easley/Attaochu in the 2nd and I'm a happy man.

Edit: I've just actually read the article and Lee doesn't mention the Pats at all.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be happy with a WR in the first.

Too many holes to fill and WR is not one of them. If Hageman, Tuitt, Shazier or Mosley are still on the board one of them has to be the pick for me.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back