Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maroney's injury: Not shoulder, but ribs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by thecrazyeye, Apr 9, 2007.

1. thecrazyeye

thecrazyeye Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Michael Holley just reported on WEEI that Maroney's injury had nothing to do with his shoulder but he actually had a rare rib injury, rib subluxation. This isnt reported anywhere but with Holley on WEEI but this is interesting and something that has to be watched closely
  2. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

pioli on sirius radio said maroney was fine take it from the source
  3. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

4. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

So what was all that stuff about operating on the shoulder and being surprised at how bad the damage was, etc etc etc.

Was that all made up? Now I'm wondering if his shoulder was hurt at all? And I'm wondering about Chad Jackson being injured so badly.

If reporters don't know anything, why are they making crap up?
  5. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

If indeed true then this is just another case of Tomase being a liar.

Ive stated numerous times even as far back as last year pre TC when he was stealing material from Mrs. B.
  6. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/03/27/hell_be_up_and_running/

Tomase isnt the only one who reported it. Reiss had it also.

I think BB/SP were manipulating the injury report again. Pre-draft salvo making it wonder what the Pats were gonna do.
  7. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I was about to say the same thing. It was well reported during the season that Maroney had a rib problem; it's been well reported during the offseason that he had shoulder surgery. It's perfectly possible that both are true -- and that Pioli's statement that he's currently "fine" is true too. None of the reports are mutually exclusive.

A liar? So you think that there was no shoulder surgery, Tomase knew that to be the case, yet for some reason he intentionally published a false report? Oh, and that Mike Reiss followed with a confirmation of this lie, quoting Maroney's lying mother?

I really don't get all the hate for Tomase.
  9. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Ididn't mean Tomase was a liar, or Reiss. I honestly don't recall who wrote what, only that I don't like getting a bunch of news and then finding out it was made up. Or if it was true, then someone making up something else for the sake of contradicting the first guy.

I guess this is the price fans pay to keep other teams not knowing. If we don't know what the heck's going on, neither do they?

However, I doubt Maroney's mother would lie about her son, so if she says shoulder, then that's what I'll go with.
  10. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I blame Borges.
  11. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Right-o, just to clarify I wasn't responding to you on that...another poster used the "l-word." ;)

Ah, those were the days...
  12. NE39

NE39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personally, I think Tomase/Speer do a good job. I realize they may on occasion speculate about something that fans may not agree with, but in general they do a good job providing info about the goings on of the team.

I think those two are an improvement over the days when Mannix/Felger were the Pats guys at the Herald.
  13. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't think we can judge too harshly the attempts by Pats "beat" writers to speculate on injuries or the player's prognosis.

They...like we have little concrete data points when dealing with Foxboro "Nuclear Secrets"..ie.. Injuries. It has been a tactic used by BB to limit info to be leveraged by opponents and he obviously feels it's effective.

With nothing to write about in this lull between FA aquisitions and the Draft the writers are forced to create stories..accurate or not. Fact of life when working for the local rags.

My only concern is the long term prognosis for this rib injury. Does anyone know the limits of impairment and the length of rehab here?
  14. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Tomase is right there with Reiss, a little saltier but also has to work harder, and has had as many scoops as any Pats beat writer despite not having the access that Reiss has. They both stand head and shoulders above the competition. I like them both. And Tomase is not a "liar." That's a ridiculous, scurrilous charge to make, even if it is just a messageboard.
  15. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think Reiss is in his own league of dedication & analysis, but Tomase has done a very good job covering the Pats, and Breer has great promise.

With the increasingly dislike of the CHBs and Borges of Beantown sports writing, etc., and the rise of writers like Reiss, Curran (though he's now national), Tomase, Breer, Shira Springer, etc., the entire Boston sports media has taken a very positive turn recently.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  16. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

17. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I think that an old, very old, song clarifies the whole situation.

The rib bones connected to the back bone, the back bone is connected to the shoulder bone, ect. :rolleyes:

So, the rib could have effected the back and the back could have effected the shoulder.
  18. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Not saying thats the case but it wouldnt be the first time Tomase has written a story based on his own views and applied them as fact.

Does it really bother you that much that i dont like the guy and know for a fact that he is a liar?

I will never like the guy.
  19. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maroney had a subluxed shoulder and torn rib cartilage. Maroney had Bankart surgery on his shoulder.
  20. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

There you go again, attacking a guy who can't defend himself in print.

:rofl: