PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
What impressed me about Maroney was that he ran well even after a line shuffle. Him and Aiken were beastin' last night.

Now, if we could start leaning on that a bit. Imagine if we were balanced or even became a bit of a run first team, with Brady and Moss and Welker... yeah. If we forced some defensive honesty (and pretend we're better than we played last night), those big plays would come even more often.

I've supported Maroney all along and am glad to see him succeed when given the chance to be the lead back for this offense. He has the physical tools to be an every down back and can even catch the ball out of the backfield. He's really gone back to running the ball with power. The only complaint I have about him is his vision. Sometimes I think Sammy Morris recognizes things more quickly than Maroney and reacts quicker.

I had wanted a power back in the draft, but I think Maroney is doing a good enough job that we don't really need one. I'd rather see us pick up a Kevin Faulk like back so we can eventually have a replacement for him. Faulk is so freakin valuable to this team it's unbelievable. If it's 4th and 2 in the Super Bowl and we need to convert to keep our chances alive, I trust Kevin Faulk the most to get me those yards either in the air or on the ground. The guy is so clutch and just has a knack for getting the job done time after time in big games. He's also one tough m-fer. Sharper laid the wood on him yesterday and he just bounces right back up and never shows any fear. I know the fans appreciate him, but he is definitely one of the most under appreciated guys in the NFL.

I've defended Maroney, and I will continue to do so when I feel the criticism is unfair. Having said that, I'd love to see this team bring in a bruising running back and a full back to give the running game more variety.

I've defended Maroney, and I will continue to do so when I feel the criticism is unfair. Having said that, I'd love to see this team bring in a bruising running back and a full back to give the running game more variety.

When have the Pats ever had a dominant full back? That just isnt the Pats style. Maroney is turning into that bruising running back. He is running really hard as of late, running over numerous DBs and breaking tackles from DLmen and LB's

When have the Pats ever had a dominant full back? That just isnt the Pats style. Maroney is turning into that bruising running back. He is running really hard as of late, running over numerous DBs and breaking tackles from DLmen and LB's

1.) It depends on what you mean by "the Pats". Sam Gash, for example, was a monster at the position.

2.) I don't want Maroney trying to be a bruising running back. It's not who he is, it will shorten his career, and it will put him on the sidelines. I want him to be a quick running back who can deliver the occasional blow.

3.) Many teams are phasing out the fullback as they go to more of a passing offense. I think that's a mistake for most teams, because their quarterbacks aren't good enough to take advantage of that, and because defenses are now focusing more on pass defense to limit the effectiveness. The opportunity to take advantage of this by bringing in a punishing fullback and making teams pay for going light on defense is there. It doesn't need to be an 'all the time' change, but it should definitely be a frequently used offensive package.

1.) It depends on what you mean by "the Pats". Sam Gash, for example, was a monster at the position.

2.) I don't want Maroney trying to be a bruising running back. It's not who he is, it will shorten his career, and it will put him on the sidelines. I want him to be a quick running back who can deliver the occasional blow.

3.) Many teams are phasing out the fullback as they go to more of a passing offense. I think that's a mistake for most teams, because their quarterbacks aren't good enough to take advantage of that, and because defenses are now focusing more on pass defense to limit the effectiveness. The opportunity to take advantage of this by bringing in a punishing fullback and making teams pay for going light on defense is there. It doesn't need to be an 'all the time' change, but it should definitely be a frequently used offensive package.

The "Pats" I mean, this decade. We havent had any dominant full back. All we've had were the Heath Evans, Marc Edwards and Russ Hochstein.

Being a RB in the NFL requires taking a beating week in and week out, that is part of the job. Maroney is turning into that bruising back, with great potential. He can be a quick running back running off tackle and then running the occasional right up the middle. And you saying that "I" dont want Maroney to be that kind of back. Are you involved in the Pats organization?, your opinion doesnt really matter in regards to what the Pats do.

The full back is not part of the NFL anymore. Its not the kinds of offenses that teams run. The passing game/shot gun has completely took over the NFL, leaving fullbacks with no roles. The only time they come in is for goaline and short yardage sitiuations. I dont think you could find more than 5 teams in the league that use a full back consistantly.

The "Pats" I mean, this decade. We havent had any dominant full back. All we've had were the Heath Evans, Marc Edwards and Russ Hochstein.

In this decade, they've not had a dominant fullback. We're in agreement there. I think they should change that moving forward.

Being a RB in the NFL requires taking a beating week in and week out, that is part of the job. Maroney is turning into that bruising back, with great potential. He can be a quick running back running off tackle and then running the occasional right up the middle. And you saying that "I" dont want Maroney to be that kind of back. Are you involved in the Pats organization?, your opinion doesnt really matter in regards to what the Pats do.

Unless there's something you haven't been telling us, your opinion doesn't matter there either, so I don't see your point here. Maroney has a history of injury, and backs that go toe to toe with opposing players tend (not always, but TEND) to be backs that don't last as long in the league, unless they are large and have always had a tendency to run with that style. I don't want Brandon Jacobs running sweeps and I don't want Chris Johnson running straight into the middle against 9 man fronts. It's a matter of how I prefer them be used, which is what I noted when I stated "I don't want".

The full back is not part of the NFL anymore. Its not the kinds of offenses that teams run. The passing game/shot gun has completely took over the NFL, leaving fullbacks with no roles. The only time they come in is for goaline and short yardage sitiuations. I dont think you could find more than 5 teams in the league that use a full back consistantly.

And I think that opens up an opportunity, which is what I stated.

Last edited:
You know you're in the twilight zone when Maroney is the best player after a game and everyone else blew.

been in the room all day.... haven't seen anything on TV because I use the lounge TV... Was Maroney involved in a top 10 for ESPN today?

He ran one guy over that was very impressive and kept on truckin.:)

Great game for Maroney..... but the dude needs some Pine Tar and not grease on his hands. Wtf is goin on Lomo w/ you and fumbles of late?

I like the strong running of Maroney version 2.1..... but hold onto that damn football.:)

Last edited:
I thought that cut back run was tremendous. That run looked very similar to a run Chris Johnson made against the Texans - quick with a good view of the field of defenders.

I did think he held the ball too loosely on the fumble and should not have put that ball on the turf, but I would put him as one of the bright spots last night. Hopefully, he keeps it up into the playoffs and learns to better protect the rock.

I thought that cut back run was tremendous. That run looked very similar to a run Chris Johnson made against the Texans - quick with a good view of the field of defenders.

I did think he held the ball too loosely on the fumble and should not have put that ball on the turf, but I would put him as one of the bright spots last night. Hopefully, he keeps it up into the playoffs and learns to better protect the rock.

I thought the same thing (Chris Johnson) when that happened. I have finally joined the Maroney bandwagon :singing:

If we ditch the pass happy offense, Maroney could be a STAR in the league :)

I thought the same thing (Chris Johnson) when that happened. I have finally joined the Maroney bandwagon :singing:

Cant ditch our kind of offense with Brady, Moss and Welker...but we could get Maroney more involved

I'm not ready to go there yet but he deserves the game ball if anyone does. Its a shame it only lasted for one half. With Morris back and Maroney running better you'd think we could start developing a running game. It comes down to that damn OL again.

Maroney isn't really showing anything that most of us didn't know was there, but in my opinion he's taken a book out of the Chris Johnson book of running and waiting for the play to develop rather than sprinting at the hole straight away and into the back of a lineman. Now, LoMo lets the hole develop, makes his cut and runs strong and hard at it. He's also absorbing contact and running through it for the most part.

Putting aside the fumbles, Adrian Peterson has more of a problem with them than Maroney does at the moment.

Maroney isn't really showing anything that most of us didn't know was there, but in my opinion he's taken a book out of the Chris Johnson book of running and waiting for the play to develop rather than sprinting at the hole straight away and into the back of a lineman. Now, LoMo lets the hole develop, makes his cut and runs strong and hard at it. He's also absorbing contact and running through it for the most part.

Putting aside the fumbles, Adrian Peterson has more of a problem with them than Maroney does at the moment.

I'm not defending the fumbles, but those will happen when you're running hard and trying to make the extra effort. The Indy fumble came when Maroney kept trying to get into the end zone instead of just going down on first contact.

I think the biggest surprise to me is that Maroney is running with a lot more aggression and physicality than I've seen. He's dishing it out to defenders as much (if not more) than he's taking it. We always knew he had the open field and big play ability, but this is a new side to him, and it's quite welcome.

I think Maroney was injured quite a bit for 2 years, and then suffered a major loss of confidence, which wasn't helped by getting a handful of carries in the first 5 games this year and being lambasted weekly in the press and elsewhere (including this board). He seems to be getting some confidence now, and I think he should get better.

Now, if we can only (1) give him the ball more consistently, and (2) block for him. Getting Vollmer back (and possibly Morris as a blocking back) should help a lot.

Check your stats. He had 64 yards total, on 15 carries.

It always amazes me when a buffoon such as yourself can't get it straight.

64 rushing + 23 receiving = 87 yards but don't let the facts get in your way.

First, let me say, I am not a Maroney hater, I've never bashed the guy on this board, and never subscribed to the "made of glass" club.

Having said all that....the posts above about how great Maroney is running are true, in my opinion, only if you compare his recent games to his overall body of work. If you compare what he has been doing, and what he did last night, with a true, top-notch NFL running back....well....I still think we need a true, top-notch NFL running back on this team. (Yes, I know all about Morris and Taylor...I mean, we need that type of back who can get on and stay on the field.)

Maroney gained 67 yards last night, against a D that was consistently playing back, guarding against the pass. Take out his one long run of 22 yds, and he had about 45 yards on 14 carries. If that is considered a strong performance, well, I think the bar has been lowered too much. I know he scored 2 TDs...both from about the 2 yard line. That should be expected more than lauded. I also understand the math, ie, if he had 45 yds on 14 carries, double it and you get 90 yds on 28 carries....and that is good....but there is a reason he doesn't get 28 carries a game. Dillon got the ball a hell of a lot more, again for a reason.
And he fumbles.

Umm... so what you're basically saying is, if you take out the instances where he did a great job, you're left with a pretty average performance. I guess my only response is "no ****".

I'm not defending the fumbles, but those will happen when you're running hard and trying to make the extra effort. The Indy fumble came when Maroney kept trying to get into the end zone instead of just going down on first contact.

I think the biggest surprise to me is that Maroney is running with a lot more aggression and physicality than I've seen. He's dishing it out to defenders as much (if not more) than he's taking it. We always knew he had the open field and big play ability, but this is a new side to him, and it's quite welcome.

I think Maroney was injured quite a bit for 2 years, and then suffered a major loss of confidence, which wasn't helped by getting a handful of carries in the first 5 games this year and being lambasted weekly in the press and elsewhere (including this board). He seems to be getting some confidence now, and I think he should get better.

Now, if we can only (1) give him the ball more consistently, and (2) block for him. Getting Vollmer back (and possibly Morris as a blocking back) should help a lot.

Morris as FB is huge. He has all the right intangibles to make for a very effective FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back