PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney won't get Rookie Of the Year unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Unless Lawrence is the full time ball carrier I don't see him getting Rookie Of The Year...You just don't split time with other running backs throughout the season which is what it appears to be and get that award..It usually goes to the rookie who has taken over in a certain spot on the roster and has overwhelming numbers to deserve that award..If he for some reason (dillon,faulk injury ect) takes over as a full time back I think he has a great chance to get it but for now my pick is Reggie Bush hands down as the big favorite...He may even get those Ain'ts to 500 this year,Splitting time at RB in this offense will not do it although I do expect Maroney to still get 800 or so yards this year,Heck if we win the Super Bowl there's no way anyone cares about that anyway...

RoY - Who cares.

Chad Jackson does have a slim shot as signs of potential were seen in last weeks game but this next game is critical if he is to be considered,especially since I think its gonna be passing and more passing..Once you start showing a bit of rookie success (albeit it was a small one last week) you need to improve and get better each and every week..one setback or lousy game along the way spells DOOM for ROY honors....Just Ask Brady Quinn about his Heisman chances now,no matter what he does the rest of the way....slim and none

Here's my irrelevant theory. We don't want a ROY. A team that had a ROY is a team that was dependant on that player, if he even made that much of a difference. And a rookie that has to play that much in order to earn that honor, is burnt out 3/4 thru the season making him ineffective come crunch time. To my knowledge, there's never been a SB winner that had a ROY. Get where I'm trying to go with this?

That's also my thinking as to why Dillon is sooooo important to this team right now. If we lost him early for the rest of the season, you can kiss our SB aspirations good bye.

And Chad Jackson has absolutely no chance to win it. It will take way too long for him and Brady to get comfortable together in order for him to put up the necessary numbers.

And to totally contradict myself, it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats were the first team to have a ROY and win the SB :D

Last edited:
I think Maroney has a shot at it, but I don't think anyone cares too much.

Maroney should be considered. He currently leads all rookies in total offense 275 yards. I think it will go to Reggie Bush though because the NFL has over hyped him since the draft. Look at his numbers against Green Bay last week. Less than 10 yards rushing.

Maroney has a shot at RoY, moreso than Chad Jackson:

1) In 39 years a running back has won offensive RoY 30 times (>75%). A receiver has only won it 6 times. It's far easier for a running back to have a stellar rookie campaign than a first-year receiver.

2) A lot of teams are platooning RBs. Reggie Bush is also splitting carries in NO with Deuce McAllister. It would be stupid for the Saints to punish his body this early in his career by giving him the full RB load of his first 20-game season. He will rack up a fair amount of receiving yards though.

3) Maroney will probably emerge as the primary ball carrier by the end of the year. The guy's motor looks incredible, and in the past few seasons Dillon's body tends to get banged up for a game or two during the course of a season.

4) It's a worthless AP-voted award. Who cares. In fact you should hope he doesn't get RoY so he doesn't pull a Deion Branch and complain about his contract later.

rabthepat said:
Maroney should be considered. He currently leads all rookies in total offense 275 yards. I think it will go to Reggie Bush though because the NFL has over hyped him since the draft. Look at his numbers against Green Bay last week. Less than 10 yards rushing.
...and he made ESPN's top 10 plays this week on a 5 yard punt return because he dodged a bunch of tackler's. Which he could have gained by running straight ahead and probably would have a better chance of breaking one.

Pierre Woods.

PATRIOT64 said:
Just Ask Brady Quinn about his Heisman chances now,no matter what he does the rest of the way....slim and none

Strong finishes remove at least some of the stink from early cr*p. [If this were their last game, I'd agree with you, but given that a number of pundits have predicted no undefeated I-A teams, I'm not so sure.]

Dillon: 36/153/4.3
Maroney: 33/151/4.6

Hmmmmm........Rookie of the Year Award or Super Bowl Ring????????

Gee, that's a toughie.

Maroney can't be the rookie of the year.I think that...There is bests players in the NFL unfortunately.

I, for one, am seriously depressed Maroney has very little chance to join such hallowed company as Rick Mirer in the RoY race. Very, very depressed, indeed.

If the goal for the season is to win an award for Maroney, then he should be the full time back. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, they should do just what they are doing.

Considering that it only takes about a 63 ypg average for a back to reach 1,000 yards in a season, Dillon and Maroney will BOTH get 1,000 yards if they continue at their current pace. I'd rather see that than a rookie of the year award for one guy.

PATRIOT64 said:
Unless Lawrence is the full time ball carrier I don't see him getting Rookie Of The Year...You just don't split time with other running backs throughout the season which is what it appears to be and get that award..It usually goes to the rookie who has taken over in a certain spot on the roster and has overwhelming numbers to deserve that award..If he for some reason (dillon,faulk injury ect) takes over as a full time back I think he has a great chance to get it but for now my pick is Reggie Bush hands down as the big favorite...He may even get those Ain'ts to 500 this year,Splitting time at RB in this offense will not do it although I do expect Maroney to still get 800 or so yards this year,Heck if we win the Super Bowl there's no way anyone cares about that anyway...

You just completely contradicted yourself. Bush isn't getting all the carries either, nor is he the starter. He's behind a pretty good RB in Deuce McAllister who has looked good so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back