PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney tidbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClosingTime

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Thought you all might enjoy this article. Maroney is something special. Speed, strength and good vision. If this guy can prove durable, he will become one of the greats.

http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/568715.html

#2 I love Laurence Maroney! (Running Back, New England Patriots, 6-0 216, 1st round pick, #21 overall). He can run, is explosive and will make you miss. He should be a top back in the league soon. In his first game he carried the ball 17 times for 86 yards and returned 3 kicks for 59 yards. He’s a very good compliment to the veteran Corey Dillon. Maroney has the ability to make big plays from the tailback position that Dillon

Thanks for posting that. Maroney really does look special - and I remember the disappointment I had (more like shock, really) when we drafted him and I was screaming for a LB :D

BelichickFan said:
Thanks for posting that. Maroney really does look special - and I remember the disappointment I had (more like shock, really) when we drafted him and I was screaming for a LB :D

B, you were not the only one. There were 10 of us at that draft party and there was a collective WTF when BB/Pioli picked the running back over the Linebacker. Maroney is most definately something special. He and Dillon compliment each other very well. :D

Last edited:
DefenseRules said:
B, you were not the only one. There were 10 of us at that draft party and there was a collective WTF when BB/Pioli picked the running back over the Linebacker. Maroney is most definately something special. He and Dillon compliment each other very well. :D
In retrospect I'm not quite as shocked in the sense that I did realize going into the draft that it was a poor group of RB out of the frst round because the rest were mostly small Faulk types. Although Norwood looks really good and M. Bell has looked for in the Denver RB factory. But I did know going in that finding a feature RB to split with and, eventually, replace Dillon wasn't likely to happen once Maroney and Williams were gone - unless we took a shot at LenDale White. After that it was all Harrison, Norwood types.

I still wanted Manny Lawson, though. And with Colvin having moved to McGinest's strong side, Lawson would still have looked good at WOLB.

BelichickFan said:
In retrospect I'm not quite as shocked in the sense that I did realize going into the draft that it was a poor group of RB out of the frst round because the rest were mostly small Faulk types. Although Norwood looks really good and M. Bell has looked for in the Denver RB factory. But I did know going in that finding a feature RB to split with and, eventually, replace Dillon wasn't likely to happen once Maroney and Williams were gone - unless we took a shot at LenDale White. After that it was all Harrison, Norwood types.

I still wanted Manny Lawson, though. And with Colvin having moved to McGinest's strong side, Lawson would still have looked good at WOLB.
I remember the predraft talk on here and everyone was either big in Manny Lawson, or Carpenter.

Maroney was the most well polished back in the draft, running at minnesota gets you ready for the NFL. but the guy is looking real good so far, wanna trade him for cutler ? :D

Keegs said:
I remember the predraft talk on here and everyone was either big in Manny Lawson, or Carpenter.
I wanted Lawson for WOLB or DeMaco Ryans for ILB. Then I wanted Greg Jennings in the second round. My official picks were Ryans and Jennings, as you will see on the Draft Board but when our pick came up I'd moved to Lawson over Ryans. And GB toook Jennings with our #2, and he's looked good, I hope Jackson can do something soon (I liked him better than Jennings, just didn't think we'd get him in round 2).

Gibroni is awesome. He already looks great.

Does anyone know how Lawson has done??
or Wimbley?
or Demeco(sp)?
or even Bobby carpenter?

It's tough to tell on just numbers but Carpenter was Inactive, Lawson had a solid game, Ryans had a million tackles week one. Wimbley didn't get close to us but has looked explosive as out outside pass rusher but needs more variety in his moves.

Looking back now I can honestly say I'm immensely glad Denver passed on Maroney. If they would of drafted him we would probably be looking at another 10 years of Terrel Davis provided Maroney stayed healthy. With their schemes and Maroney's vision and ability he'd be looking at 2000 quite a bit there.

It was the perfect year to slip in and grab this guy since many teams weren't looking RB. We weren't going to live off of Dillon forever,what a replacement to have for the future to come. All I have to say is I'm glad they are running the show and not us. Even if Maroney doesn't help us to the Bowl this year atleast it is a important building block that is we won't have to worry about for awhile.

I have a feeling he will be one of those time machine picks that other teams wish they could get back. Kind of like how many teams wish they could go back and trade for San Diego's 5th pick and took a guy named Tomlinsen year's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes