PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just deleted my original post because I realized that the press conference I was responding to was a joke. I only read what BB said, not Brady and Faulk. That was pretty funny.

Anyways, the Pats need to invest in a legit FB this off-season to help open some holes in the run game. Green-Ellis completely wiffed his man at the goal line leaving two defenders a clean hit on Maroney which led him to fumble.

One other thing, I don't understand why the Pats gave Maroney the ball when he came off the field in a previous play limping. The ball should've gone to Green-Ellis on a FB dive or giving him the ball as a RB.

Last edited:
I just deleted my original post because I realized that the press conference I was responding to was a joke. I only read what BB said, not Brady and Faulk. That was pretty funny.

Anyways, the Pats need to invest in a legit FB this off-season to help open some holes in the run game. Green-Ellis completely wiffed his man at the goal line leaving two defenders a clean hit on Maroney which led him to fumble.

getting hit doesn't justify a fumble. We should never have let Heath go. BB has to explain that one cos Heath wanted to stay. Its easy to blame maroney because he doesn't bring much to the table but he DID NOT cost us the game.

getting hit doesn't justify a fumble. We should never have let Heath go. BB has to explain that one cos Heath wanted to stay. Its easy to blame maroney because he doesn't bring much to the table but he DID NOT cost us the game.

nothing justifies fumbles, but they happen. Maroney isn't prone to fumbling. Its just bad luck.

Best Maroney post of the year, Rob. :eat1:

That was the best Baloney Maroney post ever.

But, he didn't lose the game. The defense did. No excuse for pissing away a 17 point lead.

The defense did. No excuse for pissing away a 17 point lead.

Eh, came down to the same thing the 2006 AFC championship did:

The defense is winded, and the offense gets the ball with 3 minutes left; one first down wins the game, and the offense can't get it.

The colts offense is good. They're going to score a lot, no matter how good your defense is.

I need to vent about some of the idiotic fans who post here but unfortunately Ian's mods enforce the rules that won't allow me to...

Always nice when we can agree on something. :)

I need to vent.

Is there someone out there on waivers that we should pick up?

I used to view Maroney as inexpensive, taking up snaps so that others could rest. He is a ballerina, with some explosion. But goes down on first contact. (unless there is a pile that gets pushed). A near total bust of a 1st rounder.

But that fumble cost us the game. Come on.
deerhunting.jpg
Me after opening this thread.

Last edited:
Bottom line - the Pats didn't trust in the ground game when the game was on the line. 3rd and 2, 4th and 2. Maroney is nowhere to be seen. That tells me enough what BB thinks of Maroney. And about the young defense's ability to stop the Colts.

Maroney's fumble at the goalline was a contributing factor to the loss, but amongst several other mistakes the Pats made. He is what he is. He's not the feature back we evisioned when we drafted him. He is not the clutch, give me the ball and let me run out the clock guy in the 4th quarter. He's merely a mediocre NFL back with above average athleticism, and below average vision, and that's about what you've got.

Put AP on this team, and do you think we have trouble killing out 3 minutes in the 4th quarter? I'd love our chances with that type of back. I don't think Maroney will be renewed when his contract is up unless he signs for really cheap. Time to check the RB draft prospects for 2010 and 2011.

I've got no problem with Maroney as our 3rd/4th RB, but he's not a guy you depend on in the clutch. Nowhere close to 'clock-killing Dillon' in his prime.

Last edited:
Bottom line - the Pats didn't trust in the ground game when the game was on the line. 3rd and 2, 4th and 2. Maroney is nowhere to be seen. That tells me enough what BB thinks of Maroney. And about the young defense's ability to stop the Colts.

Maroney's fumble at the goalline was a contributing factor to the loss, but amongst several other mistakes the Pats made. He is what he is. He's not the feature back we evisioned when we drafted him. He is not the clutch, give me the ball and let me run out the clock guy in the 4th quarter. He's merely a mediocre NFL back with above average atheleticism, and below average vision, and that's about what you've got.

Put AP on this team, and do you think we have trouble killing out 3 minutes in the 4th quarter? I'd love our chances with that type of back. I don't think Maroney will be renewed when his contract is up unless he signs for really cheap. Time to check the RB draft prospects for 2010 and 2011.

I've got no problem with Maroney as our 3rd/4th RB, but he's not a guy you depend on in the clutch. Nowhere close to 'clock-killing Dillon' in his prime.

I don't think Belichick's lack of faith was all about Maroney. Many times last night, Maroney made his own opportunities. He was hit behind the line of scrimmage and was forced to make extra yards on his own. Many times when the running game isn't working, it isn't all the RB's fault.

I don't think Belichick's lack of faith was all about Maroney. Many times last night, Maroney made his own opportunities. He was hit behind the line of scrimmage and was forced to make extra yards on his own. Many times when the running game isn't working, it isn't all the RB's fault.

And none of this disproves my point that Maroney is not the 'go-to-guy' type of RB that you hand the rock to in the 4th and say, we're putting the game on your shoulders, now kill that clock for us. So nothing I said has been untrue. Nowhere did I say the blame was entirely on Maroney, his mistake was one of SEVERAL that cost us the game. But to say he wasn't a contributing factor is turning a blind eye to the facts.

i dont want us to draft a running back it didnt work with maroney, we should just get a proven back via trade or free agency.

And none of this disproves my point that Maroney is not the 'go-to-guy' type of RB that you hand the rock to in the 4th and say, we're putting the game on your shoulders, now kill that clock for us. So nothing I said has been untrue. Nowhere did I say the blame was entirely on Maroney, his mistake was one of SEVERAL that cost us the game. But to say he wasn't a contributing factor is turning a blind eye to the facts.

And none of that proves you are right either.

I think his fumble was a very minor reason that the Pats lost. Welker wouldn't have had that spectacular return to the Colts' five if Maroney doesn't fumble. So the seven points gained off that return is probably a wash. So there is a pretty decent chance that even if Maroney doesn't fumble, the Pats lose that game. People want to look at that fumble in a vaccum.

You know what? Brady's INT played a role in the loss. Coaching played a role in the loss. The defense collapsing played a role in the loss. There were a lot of reasons the Pats lost and a lot bigger reasons. Maroney made a bad mistake, but the Pats overcame that mistake and stopping the Colts drive on the turnover along with a 69 yard return by Welker off that stop really makes Maroney's fumble a virtual non-factor.

Taylor has been good for us ... when healthy. But face it he's getting older and prone to injuries. Note that both Morris and Taylor were out for this game. I really like the way those guys run but they miss too many games. Could have used em in this game. When down to Maroney/Faulk/BJGE, there's really not a true feature back left in the stable.

Time to scour the draft prospects! And yes the draft is a risk, but that's usually how you get your best players. If there was a Corey Dillon type available, you go and get him, but those opportunities are rare and you usually have to take your chances in the draft.

And none of that proves you are right either.

And of course you completely ignore the main point. Is Maroney a feature back in the NFL? Short answer no. He's nowhere in the league of guys like Michael Turner, AP, Steven Jackson, etc. He's a rotation back at best. The Pats have a need for a feature back that they can give the rock to in the 4th and grind out those 3 minutes left to go games for the win. Maroney is NOT that guy. The Pats haven't had that kind of guy since Dillon in his prime and yes even Antowain Smith was able to play that role in 2001. Teams that go deep in the playoffs can RUN the football when the game is on the line. The Pats simply can't do that with a stable of Maroney/Faulk/BJGE.

Last edited:
And of course you completely ignore the main point. Is Maroney a feature back in the NFL? Short answer no. He's nowhere in the league of guys like Michael Turner, AP, Steven Jackson, etc. He's a rotation back at best.

how about when compared to Addai? (drafted after him)

Taylor has been good for us ... when healthy. But face it he's getting older and prone to injuries. Note that both Morris and Taylor were out for this game. I really like the way those guys run but they miss too many games. Could have used em in this game. When down to Maroney/Faulk/BJGE, there's really not a true feature back left in the stable.

Time to scour the draft prospects! And yes the draft is a risk, but that's usually how you get your best players. If there was a Corey Dillon type available, you go and get him, but those opportunities are rare and you usually have to take your chances in the draft.

And of course you completely ignore the main point. Is Maroney a feature back in the NFL? Short answer no. He's nowhere in the league of guys like Michael Turner, AP, Steven Jackson, etc. He's a rotation back at best. The Pats have a need for a feature back that they can give the rock to in the 4th and grind out those 3 minutes left to go games for the win. Maroney is NOT that guy. The Pats haven't had that kind of guy since Dillon in his prime and yes even Antowain Smith was able to play that role in 2001. Teams that go deep in the playoffs can RUN the football when the game is on the line. The Pats simply can't do that with a stable of Maroney/Faulk/BJGE.

How many featured backs are there out there these days? Maybe a dozen out of 32 teams. Most teams these days are RB by committee.

And not all lead backs are the grind it out at the end of the game types of back. The problem I saw yesterday had less to do with the back and more to do with breakdowns on the line especially with Koppen not 100% and Neal on the sidelines.

Just an aside, but are we sure it was really a fumble? They didn't replay it during the game, and I've been unable to find a good replay which shows when the ball came lose and where Maroney was. Maroney was fighting to get into the end zone, and he was very close. The tip of the ball has to only get to the white line for it to be a touchdown. It would be nice to see a replay showing that the ball actually came loose before the end zone.

I'm not saying it wasn't a fumble. But I certainly had no idea from the video. The announcers on the replay were fooled and called the play a touchdown. It would be nice to have actually had a decent look at the fumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes