PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney should start. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kdo5 said:
Looking at the bold text...ok so watching yesterdays game how do you come away with such a conclusion that he is on the decline? He looked like he was on a dramatic incline from last season.
The guy is 32 years old, he's alot closer to the end of his career than the beginning, wouldn't you agree? Look at Curtis Martin. One season he's the rushing champion and the next he is toast. That's just the way it works alot of times. If Dillon continues to play at this level for the next two years I would be absolutely shocked

BelizePats said:
I realize that this is a discussion board but its truly one of the kind of threads in terms of its logic that makes me yearn for the days when there were less members here and that those who were here had a better grip on team and the NFL in general.
It's been one game!!!!!
I'm sure Ian would disagree with your attitude towards new posters. But if people like you continue to have that attitude, that's what it will come to. Hey, the owner of the board won't be happy, but at least you will be. :rolleyes:

zoostation said:
You are a fool. I don't know why I'm even reading this?????
Well thein Einstein, instead of just calling people names, maybe you could bless us all with a little bit of your vast football knowledge. I'll wait with baited breath.

As soon as Gibroni can slam into defenders, and fall forward for 2 extra yards, then I'll say start Gibroni and Bench Dillon. That is what makes Dillon so great, I can't remember the last time i saw him fall backwards. He always falls forward and gains at least an extra yard.

They are two completely different running backs. Why do we have to pick one????

Do you all have both on your fantasy team or something???
Is that why you only want one or the other??
well tough ****.

The best way to play these 2 are like they did the first game.

45/45/10
or 50/50

No one has a clue what is coming if they split carries down the middle.

It keeps the defense off balance.

It will cause fits.

And i love the idea of Faulk gettin 5 or so carries as well.

If Gibroni is to start, i hope it only means he is the first back they use. If he starts in week 2, i hope it is like how Dillon "started" in week 1.

and they still split carries.

your welcome.

Alk said:
The guy is 32 years old, he's alot closer to the end of his career than the beginning, wouldn't you agree? Look at Curtis Martin. One season he's the rushing champion and the next he is toast. That's just the way it works alot of times. If Dillon continues to play at this level for the next two years I would be absolutely shocked
Really? You dont think he can get 4 yards a carry in the next two seasons if he gets considerable playing time? He looked nowhere near being close to done. He is 31 but he didnt look like an old man stopping and getting swarmed down. Your age thing doesnt make any sense until the age actually proves its catching up to him and making him a poor player. Looked just like the 2004 Dillon to me on Sunday. This year and next year he runs for 900 or 800 yards each, he'll be on his way to Canton since he's already over 10,000 yards. Dillon was injured, O-line was messed up, 2005 is behind, and it seems like 2005 there were many causes as to why Dillon had a mediocore season.

Last year Martin who will be a 1st ballot hall of famer was only 1 or 2 years older than Dillon at 32. He had 5 TD's as opposed to Dillons' 12. Both missed a few games last year. Martin will be considered one of the best RBs ever. I dont know why I brought it up but 12 TD's as a 30 year old just isnt bad, especially when you were injured and didnt play 4 games ;)

Here are the players who scored more TDs than Dillon last year as RBs...

Shawn Alexander - 27
Larry Johnson - 20
Ladanian Tomlinson - 18
Edgerin James - 13

Only 4.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Really? You dont think he can get 4 yards a carry in the next two seasons if he gets considerable playing time? He looked nowhere near being close to done. He is 31 but he didnt look like an old man stopping and getting swarmed down. Your age thing doesnt make any sense until the age actually proves its catching up to him and making him a poor player. Looked just like the 2004 Dillon to me on Sunday. This year and next year he runs for 900 or 800 yards each, he'll be on his way to Canton since he's already over 10,000 yards. Dillon was injured, O-line was messed up, 2005 is behind, and it seems like 2005 there were many causes as to why Dillon had a mediocore season.

Last year Martin who will be a 1st ballot hall of famer was only 1 or 2 years older than Dillon at 32. He had 5 TD's as opposed to Dillons' 12. Both missed a few games last year. Martin will be considered one of the best RBs ever. I dont know why I brought it up but 12 TD's as a 30 year old just isnt bad, especially when you were injured and didnt play 4 games ;)

Here are the players who scored more TDs than Dillon last year as RBs...

Shawn Alexander - 27
Larry Johnson - 20
Ladanian Tomlinson - 18
Edgerin James - 13

Only 4.
Like I already said, age is a funny thing. One season Curtis Martin is the leading rusher and the next season he's toast. Believe me, if Dillon is still playing like this in two seasons, I'm not going to be mad but I'll sure as hell be surprised.

Alk said:
Like I already said, age is a funny thing. One season Curtis Martin is the leading rusher and the next season he's toast. Believe me, if Dillon is still playing like this in two seasons, I'm not going to be mad but I'll sure as hell be surprised.
Age didnt have everything to do with it.

How about the fact that he was injured and his Offensive line wasnt very good. Similar to Dillon, however Dillon still scored many more TDs.

Kdo5 said:
Age didnt have everything to do with it.

How about the fact that he was injured and his Offensive line wasnt very good. Similar to Dillon, however Dillon still scored many more TDs.
All I can say is I can't think of many running backs that were still productive at 34. Dillon will be 32 next month.

Alk said:
All I can say is I can't think of many running backs that were still productive at 34. Dillon will be 32 next month.
Yes, RBs can be productive when they are in their 30s and Dillon is still productive. Whats your point?

Kdo5 said:
Yes, RBs can be productive when they are in their 30s and Dillon is still productive. Whats your point?
I was being more specific. 30's yes but I can't think of any (Emmitt Smith maybe) that made it to 34 and continued to be productive.

Alk said:
I was being more specific. 30's yes but I can't think of any (Emmitt Smith maybe) that made it to 34 and continued to be productive.
Oh I thought you said "You CAN think of RBs in their 30s who were productive".

But I still disagree, just because there werent many RBs at 35 who got 1000 yards in a season doesnt mean Dillon still cant be productive, at least for 2 more seasons. Not saying Dillon would still be starting in a year or so but I can still see him doing good and being productive.

Alk said:

Pardon me, but I thought this was September 2006, not October, 2008.

By October, 2008 we may very well have another first rounder spelling Maroney in our backfield.

But this year is this year.

shmessy said:
Pardon me, but I thought this was September 2006, not October, 2008.

By October, 2008 we may very well have another first rounder spelling Maroney in our backfield.

But this year is this year.
You know? I can't even remember what started this age debate and I just don't care enough to click back a page. Carry on...

It's a great asset to have 2 productive running backs in your backfield, especially when they have two distinct styles. Then throw in a third-Faulk- coupled with a strong line and you have a potent running attack. Also factor in that other teams will need to spend more practice time preparing for the Patriots because of it, and it's a great situation.

jefmblrd said:
It's a great asset to have 2 productive running backs in your backfield, especially when they have two distinct styles. Then throw in a third-Faulk- coupled with a strong line and you have a potent running attack. Also factor in that other teams will need to spend more practice time preparing for the Patriots because of it, and it's a great situation.
There you have it. Exactly the point.

Really...Dillon and Maroney had almost exactly the equal amount of carries so in this instance one will be used a lot more in different situations.

I was listening to PFW in Progress and the crew hinted that they read this thread and forum.

Poll said:
I was listening to PFW in Progress and the crew hinted that they read this thread and forum.
And what were their thoughts on the subject?

Tom Casale kind of joked Maroney should as soon a possible, and that the fans must be convinced now.

Naah I disagree. I like the two-headed RB approach. Dillon looks like he has plenty of gas left in the tank and he runs tough between the tackles. I like it when we sub in Maroney and then the defense has to stop a different style of running.

I think the Pats have a good thing going here and by splitting the carries we can get results like 180 yards rushing in a game. No single man can do it all. The Pats approach is team oriented anyways. Apologies to Maroney fantasy owners but I think splitting the carries gives the Pats the best chance to win the REAL games.

50/50 will work just fine and forces the defense to gameplan for two different players.

Alk said:
I have one question and while it's a very simple question, I have little doubt that people are going to make it complicated. Why is it not possible to disagree on here without posters calling other people stupid, idiots or trolls? We're all Patriots fans, is it so wrong that some have different opinions about our own team than others?

Ok....You're right. Let's start a guy who has played 1 game over a future HOF power running back who when healthy can put up 1,600 yards in a season (a Patriot record).

It's a stupid post....period!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye