PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney should start. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Given the passing game sitaution, IMO, Maroney needs to start and get the majority of carries, not split 50/50 with Dillon.

Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but Maroney clearly has "it" and is a threat to take it to the house every play. I saw a few runs of Dillon's where he picked up 6-7 yards, and coudln't help but think if that was Maroney he'd maybe get 20-25.

And with the passing game not lighting it up, Pats can't afford the opportunity cost of yardage left on the table if Maroney is not in the game.

I'm not saying 30 carries a game, I think you want to be careful he doesn't hit the rookie wall, but he needs 20-25 touches a game. Put Dillon in to spell him and for short yardage, and still work Faulk in, but the ground game needs to start & end with Maroney.

tombonneau said:
Given the passing game sitaution, IMO, Maroney needs to start and get the majority of carries, not split 50/50 with Dillon.

Dillon doesn't look bad at all, but Maroney clearly has "it" and is a threat to take it to the house every play. I saw a few runs of Dillon's where he picked up 6-7 yards, and coudln't help but think if that was Maroney he'd maybe get 20-25.

And with the passing game not lighting it up, Pats can't afford the opportunity cost of yardage left on the table if Maroney is not in the game.

I'm not saying 30 carries a game, I think you want to be careful he doesn't hit the rookie wall, but he needs 20-25 touches a game. Put Dillon in to spell him and for short yardage, and still work Faulk in, but the ground game needs to start & end with Maroney.

Disagree. Dillon and Maroney bring 2 entirely different aspects to the running game. Corey is the downhill, up the gut power guy who it's obvious, still has the horsepower to move the pile another 3 to 5 yards after contact. Maroney brings the quick, cut back, head for daylight quickness that only a young guy with great burst and acceleration has and also has the power to move the pile after contact. Having both of them sharing the duties will keep defenses on their heels. Throw in Brady spreading the ball around and...well you know the rest of that story.

tombonneau said:

I agree 100%. Dillion looked great fighting for yardage but, you got to give the kid the ball 25 times a game and see what he can do. Dillion will be perfect coming off the bench every few series for some great power runs...

Bottom line is Maroney "looks" like he can rip off 10-15 yrds on a regular basis, why not utilize that talent!

I'd rather break the kid in slowly, keep his legs "fresh", let him continue to learn from Dillon. We benefit from have 3 backs with different styles, why take that away?

Completely disagree. Dillon was very effective yesterday and Maroney NEEDS him as a complement.

A baseball pitcher who throws 98 MPH fastballs can get lit up if he doesn't have a decent curve and slider to keep the opposition on its toes.

A boxer who slugs only at the head, without body punching will find himself on the canvas soon enough.

Dillon pounded and punished the inside of that Buffalo D yesterday. Maroney has never played a 16 game season (let alone 19 games including the playoffs).

I'm happy you're excited. Let's not blow the Megabucks lottery ticket money within the first week, OK?

I have to say that I agree.........and that's coming from a fantasy loser who has Dillon as a starting RB!

Disagree. Dillon showed that he is still Dillon. As long as he runs with power and attitude he is the starter and Maroney is the change of pace. Dillon is not getting enough credit for the game he played yesterday. He was shattering bones out there.

deeds said:
I agree 100%. Dillion looked great fighting for yardage but, you got to give the kid the ball 25 times a game and see what he can do. Dillion will be perfect coming off the bench every few series for some great power runs...

Bottom line is Maroney "looks" like he can rip off 10-15 yrds on a regular basis, why not utilize that talent!

So that we can use him up before the season is half over?

While we are at it, why does Brady sometimes throw screen passes or short out patterns? Why doesn't he just throw long bombs every play? Why do we settle for mere 7 or 8 yard gains?

I may feel regret for such a judgemental statement but I'll say it. Anyone who does not think that Dillon was integral to that win yesterday (and to Maroney's performance by pounding that D) simply doesn't know football.

shmessy said:
Completely disagree. Dillon was very effective yesterday and Maroney NEEDS him as a complement.

A baseball pitcher who throws 98 MPH fastballs can get lit up if he doesn't have a decent curve and slider to keep the opposition on its toes.

A boxer who slugs only at the head, without body punching will find himself on the canvas soon enough.

Dillon pounded and punished the inside of that Buffalo D yesterday. Maroney has never played a 16 game season (let alone 19 games including the playoffs).

I'm happy you're excited. Let's not blow the Megabucks lottery ticket money within the first week, OK?
IMO, if Maroney NEEDS Dillon as a compliment, we wasted our first round pick. I happen to disagree, Maroney is the complete back, he runs with alot of power and probably has two gears that Dillon has never had. That being said, Dillon is playing pretty well and he still needs his carries but if I had to choose one starter that got 60-70% of the carries, it would have to be Maroney.

Alk said:
IMO, if Maroney NEEDS Dillon as a compliment, we wasted our first round pick. I happen to disagree, Maroney is the complete back, he runs with alot of power and probably has two gears that Dillon has never had. That being said, Dillon is playing pretty well and he still needs his carries but if I had to choose one starter that got 60-70% of the carries, it would have to be Maroney.

Who says we have to chose? Do we have to chose whether to keep only Harrison or Wilson at Safety? The premise is ridiculous.

The reason why the RB situation is so great is that we have all THREE of these guys with different effective styles.

You say Dillon "still needs his carries" - - ummm, when did BB ever make a decision based on what a player needs?

There will be some games ("situations" if you know what makes BB tick) where Maroney will be needed more, some where Dillon will be needed more, and a few where Faulk will be needed more.

I didn't know this was really an election.

Obviously you don't want to use up Maroney, but IMO, the splits should be 66/33 in favor of the rookie, not 50/50. You simply can't afford to miss out on Maroney ripping off a 30 yarder when Dillon only gets you 5.

Maroney is a bigger threat to bust a big play, but Dillon is more consistent getting yards each play. Take away Moreney's opening run and look at eh ypc.

They complimnet each other and using them the way they did yesterday lowers the risk of wearing down over the course of the season.

Patsfan13: Maroney is a bigger threat to bust a big play, but Dillon is more consistent getting yards each play. Take away Moreney's opening run and look at eh ypc.
_________
Shmessy: Great point, after the first two runs - - 15 for 37.

Shmessy: Don't tell that to the kids who want to spend all the lottery ticket money in the first week.

tombonneau said:

I couldn't agree with you less. Rookie runningbacks have a tendancy to fall off after 10 games or so. They just aren't used to the length and punishment of an NFL season. Splitting the carries 50-50 with Dillon makes sure he runs like he did yesterday all year and isn't just a flash in the pan. It will help keep Dillon healthy and running great as well.

Looking at the stats, Dillon averaged 4.6 ypc whereas Maroney averaged 5.1. 4.6 ypc would make one heck of a season if Dillon was an every down back. The split should remain 50/50.

How often did Dillon get stopped for a loss or no gain. I'm not sure he did. Maroney got stopped for a loss or no gain a few times. I was the ball in Corey's hands when we need to kill the clock. He pounds out those consistent 3,4, and 5 yards runs that take 3 runs to get him the first down. He kills so much clock with three runs that only gain 10-15 yards. OTOH Maroney might run for a 20 yard gain, run for 5, and then get stopped for no gain on the next two. In that case we have to punt. In Dillons case, we're still eating at the clock.

PatsChick87 said:
I'd rather break the kid in slowly, keep his legs "fresh", let him continue to learn from Dillon. We benefit from have 3 backs with different styles, why take that away?

I agree Maroney will get his touches and I like the system the way it is keeping the defenses off balance. Did anyone see the NFL Today show where
Charley Casserly yes the guy that did not draft Reggie Bush ranked Maroney as the best back in this years draft inside and outside runner and big time play maker of the draft the most complete back.

shmessy said:
Anyone who does not think that Dillon was integral to that win yesterday (and to Maroney's performance by pounding that D) simply doesn't know football.

Right on, brother. I'm with you in that camp.

shmessy said:
Who says we have to chose? Do we have to chose whether to keep only Harrison or Wilson at Safety? The premise is ridiculous.

The reason why the RB situation is so great is that we have all THREE of these guys with different effective styles.

You say Dillon "still needs his carries" - - ummm, when did BB ever make a decision based on what a player needs?

There will be some games ("situations" if you know what makes BB tick) where Maroney will be needed more, some where Dillon will be needed more, and a few where Faulk will be needed more.

I didn't know this was really an election.
Christ almighty, why does everyone have to get bent out of shape? I didn't even say anything bad about either player. Unless of course saying our rookie is the best RB on our team and that Dillon is still good and should be on the field is bad. By saying Dillon "needs" his carries, I meant that we "need" to have him on the field.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:

Wow, that didn't take long. I expected it to take at least two games for you guys to jump ship on Dillon. Looks like I was wrong.

Having Maroney do the bulk of the carries would be a great way to make him ineffective in the last part of the season and in the playoffs. Maroney is the future, as soon as next year, but there's no reason to kill him in his first full season when we already have a capable back in Dillon.

And how you can assess the passing game after one game, while missing Gabriel and Jackson, is completely beyond me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back