Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maroney Proves Critics Wrong: NY Post

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JoePats, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312008/sports/giants/maroney_proves_critics_wrong_979492.htm

He really plays with a chip on his shoulder...Here are some of his quotes from the article:

"I want to laugh at the reporters but I just hold it in," said the Patriots' running back, who didn't hold it in yesterday, fairly crowing after rushing for 122 yards in consecutive postseason games.

"You know who the reporters are. It ain't like you can't read the names in the papers. They want to come back and jump on the you're-doing-so-good bandwagon.

"You just look at them like 'oh, you didn't want to come ask me questions when (they said) I was out there tap dancing and cha-cha sliding.' I really want to say something, but I keep it to myself."
  2. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Well, wasn't he? He's hitting the holes with a lot more decisiveness now than earlier in the season. (This is not a "glass" observation...I don't want to start that whole argument again. Just something I, and others, noticed)
  3. PatsfanGlo

PatsfanGlo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While I do think Maroney runs more decisively lately, I don't think his approach changed all that much from time when people were on his case everyday. Biggest thing as far as I can see is that Pats are now willing to run passing plays more when Maroney is in the game. Before, it was 'if Maroney is in the game, its a run, Faulk in the game, its a pass' and defense will make appropriate adjustments. Maroney definately pass blocks a lot better than earlier in the season now and he has shown he can do big time damage when he catches swing passes/dump passes coming out of backfield. Being more unpredictable really helped Pats running game more than anything imo.
  4. jscout

jscout Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm just glad that the only thing he's concerned about these days is blowing his wad too soon.
  5. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

That's the key for me as well. I also think that getting more carries has allowed him to get into more of a rhythm. He's a very streaky runner at times, and often to me it takes him a little while to get on track, but when he does he's unstoppable.

Sounds to me like Lo-Mo needs to stop reading the papers. That comes when you spend a few more years in the league, I imagine.
  6. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 8 / -1

#11 Jersey

Great post. I really think his pass blocking is the key -- he looks mighty dangerous as a receiver.
  7. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not according to Dr Z.....:eek:

But I agree with you Chick, Maroney has improved his pass blocking and IMO, he is really dangerous getting the ball out in space....
  8. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +591 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I'll go with that, although he's consistently stayed over 4.0, which isn't bad for an "indecisive" runner.

Having a runner who hates the press and wants to ram the ball down the defenses throat as a consequence ain't bad at all (miss you Corey!).:D

No doubt, Maroney is running lower and more decisively.

The nice thing is, his potential as an open field runner has hardly been tapped. The sky is the limit for this guy.
  9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Ivan Fears did an interview with Felger yesterday where he pretty much said it was a team decision to protect Maroney early. His shoulder was still an issue early on, and they had Morris for what they needed. Then as the passing game exploded there was no need to expose their young feature RB to the hits or their options to coaches film until the weather changed and they needed to.

It was never about their assessment of him or anything he was not doing. It was game plans and long range strategy.
  10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

In the Herald, Barry Sanders says he is a big fan of Maroney's game and predicts superstardom for the pats rb. He says he has watched him since he played at Minnesota and in a less pass heavy system he would be a 1400 to 1600 yard back easy.
  11. cartmen

cartmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

QFT great point
  12. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but National Sports Advisors says he dances too much and he's made of glass.
  13. Maroney TD

Maroney TD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is true, and we all know that he knows more than Barry Sanders about running backs. Quick question though, since its National Sports Advisors is there more than 1 person putting input into each post and if so are they from across the nation in order to be National?
  14. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Hmmmm....

Where did I see this before? Where oh where was it?

Oh yeah! Here!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  15. Maroney TD

Maroney TD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maroney had a good YPC the entire season. Only morons were bashing him because they thought he should have more yards with less carries than other RBs. Once they started running him more then the total yards went up, I know its crazy like that.
  16. Rawky77

Rawky77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks for confirming what many of us Maroney supporters have been saying all yr. LoMo is going to be a real threat the rest of his career as he learns more and more of the Pro game and begins to expand into his talent potential.
  17. patsfan47

patsfan47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am a huge fan of Kool-aid's watching him run in the playoffs has been a real treat, this guy has come to play in the big games and I expect him to show up in the big dance. In the playoffs he has done everything I could ask of our running back. He makes people miss, breaks tackles, catches passes and makes moves in space, pass blocks and the most exciting part.....when he runs people over at the end of plays guy is sending a message and I like the fact that he is playing with a massive chip on his shoulder. I really hope he runs for 160 yrds 2 touchdowns and wins the MVP!!!!!!
  18. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The thing that makes the whole situation ridiculous is that he's still just a second year back, and this was his first year as "the guy". Rookies should always get at least 3 years before you go slapping them with labels, because that's the time where they start improving and establish their mean level of performance for the remainder of their career. Maroney will be just fine, the Pats don't blow first round picks.
  19. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I love this: "You just look at them like 'oh, you didn't want to come ask me questions when (they said) I was out there tap dancing and cha-cha sliding.' I really want to say something, but I keep it to myself."
    :rofl:
  20. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I completely agree with Barry, and I'm glad to know one of my favorite RB's feels the same way about Maroney.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.