PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney On Kickoff Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCPatsFan

On the Roster
Reaction score
Anybody here not like seeing Maroney on kickoff returns? I hate to see him taking any big hits back there...

DCPatsFan said:
Anybody here not like seeing Maroney on kickoff returns? I hate to see him taking any big hits back there...

Yes I'm one that does not like seeing him on kickoff returns I wish the Pats could find a replacement also but you also have Kevin Faulk back there and he needs velcro scares the daylights out of me when he handles the ball to much.

No, I don't like Maroney back there.. but not because I'm afraid of him taking a big hit. I just don't think he's that good at it. Love the dude at TB out of the I with a FB ahead of him, but I'd like to see something different on kick returns.

I'm okay with Faulk at PR. Yes, I hold my breath every time he's running one back, but the man is leading the NFL in Punt Returns. How do you pull that off the field? You don't. You say. "Run Kev, RUN... and hold on to that damn ball."

He's a football player.

Better Maroney taking the hits with his build than, say, Ellis Hobbs. That said, what happened to Willie Andrews' collegiate return skills?

Last edited:
Fencer said:
Better Maroney taking the hits with his build than, say, Ellis Hobbs. That said, what happened to Willie Andrews' collegiate return skills?
Good question. I can only see as of right now they are maybe still teaching him things and hoping he will get better beofre he might have trouble on the field. Also i know he was hurt a week or two ago.

But a very good question that needs to be addressed.

I'd bet most of us would rather not have #39 back there.

That's why you draft smurfsin the 7th round. Idon't see Andrews threatening to take Rodney's job. Little fast guy not big RB IMO.

As for punt returns, I really don't care if Faulk has .2 yds more than the next guy if he's going to cough up one in ten.

Is that extra 1/2 yard more important than a free TD for the opposition every ten tries? Not in my book.

Pound for pound, special teams plays are just as important, if not more important than regular off/def plays. Per play, more big plays (turnovers, big gains) happen on kick returns than regular plays. Kickoff return is an opportunity for Maroney to get the ball in space, which is his strong suit imo. I want our best open field runner returning kickoffs. Also, a running back is much less likely to fumble than a DB (remember Hobbs in the Denver playoff game?)

T-ShirtDynasty said:
No, I don't like Maroney back there.. but not because I'm afraid of him taking a big hit. I just don't think he's that good at it. Love the dude at TB out of the I with a FB ahead of him, but I'd like to see something different on kick returns.

I agree, on all points. I wonder, did Maroney have any KR experience in college?

Maroney in the open field, with a head of steam, is an intriguing prospect, however.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Good question. I can only see as of right now they are maybe still teaching him things and hoping he will get better beofre he might have trouble on the field. Also i know he was hurt a week or two ago.

But a very good question that needs to be addressed.

A very good question, indeed.

Here's another: can't Andrews learn what he needs to learn, on the PS?

captain stone said:
A very good question, indeed.

Here's another: can't Andrews learn what he needs to learn, on the PS?

You want to put one of if not our best ST coverage guys on the pracitce squad?

Maroney looks like crap on special teams. He is way to tentative.

dhamz said:

BB said in a recent interview that Andrews was the best ST coverage guy on the team. Sometimes we fans forget just how important the "non-visible" special teams guys are.

My view on Kool-Aid? I have no problem with him being back there, assuming he is the best option we have. The last guy to get injured returning KOs that I can remember is Jason Sehorn, so it isn't nearly is dangerous a job as people make it out to be.

dhamz said:

Then release Spann, and place him back on the PS when (not if) he clears waivers. Having a 35-year old possesion WR as your dime CB is not a long-term solution, esp. since he is needed on offense more now than last year.

There are too many ST-only guys on this roster. Our starting LBs are too old, and our starting DBs too fragile, for the expectation - that they all will continue to stay both healthy and productive - to be reasonable.

captain stone said:
Then release Spann, and place him back on the PS when (not if) he clears waivers. Having a 35-year old possesion WR as your dime CB is not a long-term solution, esp. since he is needed on offense more now than last year.

There are too many ST-only guys on this roster. Our starting LBs are too old, and our starting DBs too fragile, for the expectation - that they all will continue to stay both healthy and productive - to be reasonable.

Spann was brought up just before the Cincy game. Since he has stayed on the roster it must lead BB to believe that he offers something, particularly since NE just released Mr. Bongos.

I'm not sure what you are so worried about.

Oswlek said:
Spann was brought up just before the Cincy game. Since he has stayed on the roster it must lead BB to believe that he offers something, particularly since NE just released Mr. Bongos.

I'm not sure what you are so worried about.

I'm not sure why you're not sure what I'm so worried about.

captain stone said:
I'm not sure why you're not sure what I'm so worried about.

I can't quite tell why you're not sure why I can't tell what you're not so sure of. ;)

I will make my point straightforward. You complained about the lack of DBs that are there for more than special teams, saying that Spann should be released and his spot filled with another DB. Well, if NE was as concerned about the issue, why would they have not only retained Spann, but released a DB that was here specifically to be a dimeback instead.

That seems to indicate that not only do the coaches not share your concern, but they feel the exact opposite that you do. Sorry, I've got to side with those guys.

Pawn512 said:
Pound for pound, special teams plays are just as important, if not more important than regular off/def plays. Per play, more big plays (turnovers, big gains) happen on kick returns than regular plays. Kickoff return is an opportunity for Maroney to get the ball in space, which is his strong suit imo. I want our best open field runner returning kickoffs. Also, a running back is much less likely to fumble than a DB (remember Hobbs in the Denver playoff game?)

I don't like it. If all we are going to get is a pile up at the 20 yard line everytime I would rather see someone else do the kickoff returns. Initially I was in favor of it because I thought Dillion would get 60% of the carries with Maroney and Faulk splitting the rest. Dillion can't seem to play more than a quarter without grabbing his shoulder, leg, groin. This has shifted a lot more carries to Maroney. I am not sure who should do it, maybe one of WRs or Andrews but Maroney hasn't shown he is any better than average and I would rather see his hits saved for carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back