PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney-Most talented RB we've ever drafted ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty suprised by some of the shock and awe shucks going on around here. Most draft guides had us picking a RB in the first round, and even though I didn't think it would happen, I was suprisingly happy. Though I thought we were going to pick Manny Lawson, maybe BB thought Lawson was too one dimensional to pick at #21.

I have seen the Pats pass on several Talented backs during the BB era, I was hoping to get Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson, Tatum Bell or Marion Barber III over the last few drafts, and I'm extremely happy with this pick.

I look at it this way, Corey Dillon now doesn't need to get 1600 yards again for us to win a championship. Dream scenerio next year Corey gets 1000, Maroney gets 500. If Corey breaks down a little, Corey 800 & Maroney 700. It's a win win situation.

The defensive guys I really wanted at #21, Greenway & Carpenter were gone by #21, so I had no problem with the Maroney pick. He may just be the most talented RB we've ever drafted, bold statement considering Curtis Martin is Hall of Fame bound, but Maroney has size, breakaway speed, and toughness, to go along with shiftiness. Martin has decent speed, and was/is very shifty, and tough as nails. If Maroney plays up to his abilities, people will be talking about him for years, reminds me of Clinton Portis & Cadillac Williams. I also preferred him over Deangelo Willams, has better size AND speed, and no history of injuries (Williams has had tons).

The Chad Jackson pick will be a true boom or bust. Name one Florida WR that ever amounted to anything the last ten years. Kinda like Michigan WR's. They all seem to wind up being busts. I do like Jackson's size and speed, and he is a gamer as far as not being afraid to go over the middle. He was more explosive 2 years ago, but they changed the offense this year. I'm still pretty excited about this pick, as well as the Maroney pick.

So far, I give this draft a B+, need some DB & LB help, but added 2 gamebreakers to the offense !!

scott99 said:
I'm pretty suprised by some of the shock and awe shucks going on around here. Most draft guides had us picking a RB in the first round, and even though I didn't think it would happen, I was suprisingly happy. Though I thought we were going to pick Manny Lawson, maybe BB thought Lawson was too one dimensional to pick at #21.

I have seen the Pats pass on several Talented backs during the BB era, I was hoping to get Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson, Tatum Bell or Marion Barber III over the last few drafts, and I'm extremely happy with this pick.

I look at it this way, Corey Dillon now doesn't need to get 1600 yards again for us to win a championship. Dream scenerio next year Corey gets 1000, Maroney gets 500. If Corey breaks down a little, Corey 800 & Maroney 700. It's a win win situation.

The defensive guys I really wanted at #21, Greenway & Carpenter were gone by #21, so I had no problem with the Maroney pick. He may just be the most talented RB we've ever drafted, bold statement considering Curtis Martin is Hall of Fame bound, but Maroney has size, breakaway speed, and toughness, to go along with shiftiness. Martin has decent speed, and was/is very shifty, and tough as nails. If Maroney plays up to his abilities, people will be talking about him for years, reminds me of Clinton Portis & Cadillac Williams. I also preferred him over Deangelo Willams, has better size AND speed, and no history of injuries (Williams has had tons).

The Chad Jackson pick will be a true boom or bust. Name one Florida WR that ever amounted to anything the last ten years. Kinda like Michigan WR's. They all seem to wind up being busts. I do like Jackson's size and speed, and he is a gamer as far as not being afraid to go over the middle. He was more explosive 2 years ago, but they changed the offense this year. I'm still pretty excited about this pick, as well as the Maroney pick.

So far, I give this draft a B+, need some DB & LB help, but added 2 gamebreakers to the offense !!

U Florida alum Ike Hilliard has been a pretty good player overall.

Jacky Roberts said:
U Florida alum Ike Hilliard has been a pretty good player overall.

Never a star though, and he was a 1st rounder. Hopefully Jackson & Caldwell can break the mold.

I don't think we can say he's the most talented until we at least see him on the field for a good portion of the season.

Curtis Martin is an all-time great. It's kinda hard to say Maroney is better than that. Maybe from a purely physical stand point, Maroney is more gifted but, eh. I don't feel comfortable calling him the most talented.

That said, drafting Maroney makes all the sense in the world to me now that i've researched him a bit.

Last edited:
Jackson is the first true "star" receiver to come out of Florida that wasn't under the Fun n Gun offense of Spurrier though, which tended to make receivers look better than they were. 88 catches is alot in college, you can't argue with his production (or his measurables... 4.3 speed).

As for Maroney, the most talented? Curtis Martin was pretty good. I bet alot of people thought John Stephens and Leonard Russell were going to be superstars... or uh, Vagas Ferguson. But yeah, he's good. Like the pick alot.

Last edited:
Good post, Scott99.

You forgot to mention Sam The Bam Cunningham, drafted in the 1970s from USC. He invented diving over the pile for a TD. Something like the third pick in the draft. I named a cat after him.

Robt Edwards could have been --reminded me of Stevens and Russell. Maroney says he doesn't play volleyball, hopefully he will last a while longer than those three. Compared himself to Edgerin James.

jczxohn1 said:
Robt Edwards could have been --reminded me of Stevens and Russell. Maroney says he doesn't play volleyball, hopefully he will last a while longer than those three. Compared himself to Edgerin James.

I think Edwards was going to be as good as CuMar ... Watching some of the cuts he was making later in the season as he gained confidence was just amazing.

Maroney's downside is hitting the hole with authority. That said, he's got at least a season to learn from Dillon, and if he does he should be a force.

Maroney said "Denver called a lot and showed a lot of interest" which is perhaps a good sign where Denver has an excellent reputation for developing RB's.

Maroney, most talented RB drafted by the Pats?

I think Curtis Martin might have something to say about that.

Robert Edwards might have been better too. Too bad for that injury

Size Speed......mean more to me than who he came from...He looked great at the combine

Chevy said:
I think Edwards was going to be as good as CuMar ... Watching some of the cuts he was making later in the season as he gained confidence was just amazing.

Maroney's downside is hitting the hole with authority. That said, he's got at least a season to learn from Dillon, and if he does he should be a force.

I've read the exact opposite about Maroney from workups on at least a dozen sites including the official NFL darft site....they list his ability to hit the hole decisively as a STRENGTH of his.

21. NE - Laurence Maroney, RB: Maroney is a tough runner and more of a patient guy who picks his spots behind blockers – which is exactly what Bill Belichick wants from his running backs. Maroney knows where the hole is supposed to be, and that's where he goes. He fits New England better than any of the other first round running backs left on the board. DeAngleo Williams is too small for what New England wants, and LenDale White doesn't have the work ethic or attitude of a Belichick guy. - 3:42 pm EDT
– New England could have gone a lot of different ways with the pick, but now the Patriots have their replacement for Corey Dillon, who is on the decline. - 3:43 pm EDT

Joker said:
I've read the exact opposite about Maroney from workups on at least a dozen sites including the official NFL darft site....they list his ability to hit the hole decisively as a STRENGTH of his.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/maroney_laurence

I took the weaknesses section to mean "good but not great". He's good at hitting the hole, but lacks that authority you may see from a CuMar.

Although, it also reads that these (well, I inferred this) are more mental/confidence issues (talks about consistency). If so, he's gonna learn quickly.

Can't wait to see him on the field.

scott99 said:
Never a star though, and he was a 1st rounder. Hopefully Jackson & Caldwell can break the mold.

Well, I have to disagree since Chris Collinsworth would , arguably, be considered a STAR player. But, I agree, its been 25 years since they had a STAR player come out of Florida at WR>

Taylor Jacobs - WR - Skins - 2003 - Jury is still out.
Jabar Gaffney - WR- Texans - 2002 - Jury is still out.
Travis Taylor - WR - Ravens - 2000 - Now with the Vikings. Good 3rd.
Ernie Mills - WR - Steelers - 1991 - #3 WR.
Ricky Nattiel - WR - Broncos - 1987 - Amounted to nothing.
Chris Collinsworth - WR - Bengals - 1981 - Arguably a star. 4 1000 yard season. another season where he got 900 yards. Then had 2 injury plagued seasons to finish his career.
http://www.profootballreference.com/players/CollCr00.htm

He has a really good average for career yards in college right?

The school he is in, Is the O line really good? or average? if its average, then its all him, which will make his value go up.

He runs like Cory but only more agile, Cory tends to run like that, using his speed and power, to run with the line and break free.

This guy uses his speed and cutbacks to move the line and break loose.

Last edited:
yeah.......

Joker said:

I don't know where this "hesitates before hitting the hole" stuff came from. I had a friend of mine (not a pats fan.....yeah I know....how can u call that a friend?).....call me after day one and say the above statement......I have only heard and read the OPPOSITE of that.........I think he makes quick decisions and hits the opening quickly and decisively........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down