PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney: Let's See What We Agree On

Status
Not open for further replies.
From today's Ask PFT...

Maroney vs. Addai? Every team in NFL would have taken Maroney over Addai at the position he was drafted. Indy had to take a back with their pick and Addai was the only back left worthy of a first round pick. Shouldn't the Pats "coach up" Maroney, insist he pound some weights, and run like his former teammate Marion Barber? He seems to have talent but maybe he needs a (big?) push!
Frank Velluto

I know it's way too early to think about the 2008 draft, but with San Francisco looking worse every week it's looking more and more likely that the Pats will have a top 5 pick. To this point I've assumed that they'd probably try to trade down rather than pay the inflated top 5 pick salary, but I was reading a couple very early mock drafts that had the Pats staying put and taking McFadden. Do you think they're likely to stay put and take the best available player (even if its McFadden) or trade a few spots down if they can and get a guy like James Laurinaitis?
Kent Barnes

Frank, you are exactly right.
At the time of the draft, Maroney was the right pick. And while I thought Addai would never be a great every-down back in the NFL, I was completely wrong. He’s not just succeeding because he plays for the Colts. Addai has great vision, good power and is a very versatile back. He’s a good player, period.

I know people are getting frustrated with Maroney and you can put me in that group. Here’s my problem with Maroney: I think his dancing behind the line has to do with a lack of vision. I believe vision for a running back is their most important asset. It can’t really be measured before the draft but it’s kind of like pocket presence for a quarterback, all the great ones have it. It’s also something that can’t be taught. You can’t teach a quarterback to have the pocket awareness that Tom Brady has, just like you can’t teach a running back to have the vision of a LaDainian Tomlinson. I think Maroney will be a decent NFL runner, I’m just not sure he’ll ever be a great one.

Speaking of great ones, I’m on the McFadden to the Patriots bandwagon if they sign both Moss and Samuel like I believe they will. Here’s the thing. If the Patriots keep that pick, there are only a couple of positions they can go with that high because they’re already so talented. Undefeated teams usually don’t have the second selection in the draft. If you look at it, Maroney’s total contract is $8.5 million and the rest of the backs on the roster don’t cost that much. So drafting McFadden would actually be cost feasible for the Patriots. Plus, the guy is an absolute beast.

Look at what the Vikings did. They paid a lot of money to get Chester Taylor but they still drafted Adrian Peterson because he was so talented, they couldn’t pass him up. I think the same thing us true with McFadden. People are going to tell you before the draft that the Patriots won’t select McFadden because they took Maroney two years ago. That’s garbage. If Maroney doesn’t show some signs that he’s ready to be the back of the future in New England, McFadden very well could be. Imagine this offense in 2008: Brady, Moss, Welker, Watson, McFadden, Morris, Maroney and the entire offensive line returning. I’m buying taking McFadden that high. I believe he’s the best player available in the upcoming draft and he plays a position the Patriots will likely be looking to upgrade. Sign me up.
-Tom Casale

From today's Ask PFT...

I don't really know this guy--can anyone vouch for his credibility? The reason I ask is that I don't agree with any of this. Should the Vikings be the model for the Pats? Is having the best back ever a recipie for Super Bowl success?

I also ask about his credibility because he things the Pats will keep Samuel. I don't see any way that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back