PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney had a Broken Bone in Shoulder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no fan of Maroney...yada yada blah blah

Seriously, you should just have left it at the first 5 words - at least you arent so blinded that you are unaware of your own bias.

I'm no fan of Maroney(already lost an argument about getting rid of him) but anyone going to argue the point of him stealing the spotlight from Faulk's charity event by revealing the extent of his injury? He could have waited a day or two after the event or done it anytime after the season, but he chose the day of his colleague's charity game...WTF is up with that???

He's even more diabolical than we feared.

What bone or ligament will he have broken or torn this year? - About as inevitable as death or taxes

The Glass man returns for a limited time only in a stadium near you.

I can't be bothered to look it up but I bet alot of the biggest Maroney detractors are guys that were originally very high on him.

Its like they perceive some bizarre form of betrayal on his behalf.

"How could you go and get injured when we had such high hopes?"

Hell hath no fury like a dissatisfied football fan.

I didn't like the pick when it happened, so your theory's wrong. I'm pretty much never a fan of taking RBs in the first round.

What bone or ligament will he have broken or torn this year? - About as inevitable as death or taxes

Let me make sure I understand. It was a BROKEN BONE. So you expect expect his bones to be less breakable than everyone elses? Take a biology course.
He played 3 weeks with a broken bone in his shoulder, and you call him glass.
Unbelievable.
It doesnt make sense even talking to you because you form an opinion without facts, then ignore every fact. You act as if it makes you better if your negative opinion about Maroney comes true, almost like you root against the Patriots if it gets in the way of your wild guesses being right.

the funny thing about all these dudes is they seem to have all their faith in morris and taylor.
I love sammy, but didn't he also have a broken bone in '07...?

the funny thing about all these dudes is they seem to have all their faith in morris and taylor.
I love sammy, but didn't he also have a broken bone in '07...?

Yes, but that wasnt his fault because we signed him as a free agent. 1st round picks are supposed to have unbreakable bones. Didnt you know that?

Cannot find the source right now, but remember that the average longevity of an NFL running back is between 3 and 4 years... our RB's have pretty much proven that, the Curtis Martins and Emmet Smith's are the exceptions.. RB's get hurt frequently.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard maroney had his bones laced with adamantium in the offseason as some kind of cross-promotional gimmick.

Obviously to say he is not made of glass you must have been sleeping the past 3 seasons.

2006 = Torn Rib Cartilage - Out several games
2007 = Groin Injury - Out several games and no factor in the SB
2008 = Broken Bone in Shoulder - IRed

Get a reality check AJ and spit out the Kool-Aid - LoMo is da glass man,like it or not and dats the fact jack.

If Maroney was a drafted as a Jet as a #1 draft choice in 2006,there would be guys here laughing and teasing the Jets for taking Maroney as a 1st round waste - you included - Don't deny it.

BB should have taken Maurice Jones Drew who may have been the best of that draft.

If anyone still takes you seriously they shouldn't anymore.

Do your bones break?

I'm no fan of Maroney(already lost an argument about getting rid of him) but anyone going to argue the point of him stealing the spotlight from Faulk's charity event by revealing the extent of his injury? He could have waited a day or two after the event or done it anytime after the season, but he chose the day of his colleague's charity game...WTF is up with that???

So, its Maroney's fault that he was at the Charity even and was asked questions about his injury? How do you know that the Patriots didn't set up the interview to begin with?

Heck, the reporter who write the article could have waited a day or two to publish the article. Yet he didn't. I don't see you complaining about him.

I really don't see how someone could say that Maroney was stealing the spotlight from Faulk's charity event if you don't know the details of how the interview was set up.

Cannot find the source right now, but remember that the average longevity of an NFL running back is between 3 and 4 years... our RB's have pretty much proven that, the Curtis Martins and Emmet Smith's are the exceptions.. RB's get hurt frequently.

That number is always skewed because they count all the draft picks and such and include UDFA's who were signed by teams as well. The reality is that the good RBs tend to play for longer periods of time. Whether its be with their original team or with another team.

Lets look at some of the Pats recent running backs.

Kevin Faulk - 11 seasons
Patrick Pass - 8 seasons
Corey Dillon - 10 seasons
Sammy Morris - 10 seasons
Fred Taylor - 11 seasons
Antowain Smith - 9 seasons

Obviously to say he is not made of glass you must have been sleeping the past 3 seasons.

Get a reality check AJ and spit out the Kool-Aid - LoMo is da glass man,like it or not and dats the fact jack.

If Maroney was a drafted as a Jet as a #1 draft choice in 2006,there would be guys here laughing and teasing the Jets for taking Maroney as a 1st round waste - you included - Don't deny it.

BB should have taken Maurice Jones Drew who may have been the best of that draft.

Not a factor in the SB? Could that have been because of how terrible the O-line was playing? And the fact that Neal went down early? You know who else wasn't a factor during the SB? Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk (in the running game).

Now, since you seem to be so much smarter than everyone else, tell us how one goes about strengthening Rib cartilage and bones? Because I am sure that Ventrone and Woods want to know as well since they had their jaws busted last year. And Thomas' arm got busted.. I mean, I'm sure you must know some sort of exercise regimen that the Patriots staff should be using...

That number is always skewed because they count all the draft picks and such and include UDFA's who were signed by teams as well. The reality is that the good RBs tend to play for longer periods of time. Whether its be with their original team or with another team.

Lets look at some of the Pats recent running backs.

Kevin Faulk - 11 seasons
Patrick Pass - 8 seasons
Corey Dillon - 10 seasons
Sammy Morris - 10 seasons
Fred Taylor - 11 seasons
Antowain Smith - 9 seasons

I am talking about the whole NFL, don't have the time right now.. but if I did could search the whole Pats Alumni Base... here are a few.. it does skew the numbers..

John Stephens 88-92
Leonard Russell 91-93
Robert Edwards 1998-2000

Is this sarcasm, or are you actually brain damaged?

He's supposed to sew cartilage in his ribs and weld bones together and play?

Whatever you're on, you might consider shutting the computer off before you further embarrass yourself.

Huh?!? I don't blame a guy for injuries in most cases. Maroney isn't like Vernon Gholston who was healthy all year and did nothing. Give the guy a break. RB is a position where players get hurt more times than most players. In fact the Pats signed a RB this offseason, who like Maroney was injury plagued early in his career and he was able to string some great seasons together and get over the injury bug for the most part for a three to four year stretch.

As for MJD, for all his hype he has never had a 1,000 yard season. He has a alot of TDs, but that was because Fred Taylor got a lot of the open field carries and MJD got most of the goalline carries.

Last edited:

would you like to let us know who bb should have taken in '09, and should take in '10, or do you confine your predictions to what happened 3 years ago?

I don't eally see where PA is wrong.

He's not saying injuries aren't an excuse, he's just saying Maroney is made of glass.

Consider in 3 seasons, every season has been almost either cut in half or ended due to injuries. How on earth can you say that's NOT injury prone? I don't have anything against Maroney, really I wish the guy well. But I just know something will happen, because the last 3 years have shown me that.

Am I wrong to say that?

EDIT - unlike PA though, I wont bash Bill for taking Maroney, he was the best fit at the time for our offense, isn't that what drafting is all about? Finding the BPA that fits your system, ecspecially when your main RB at the time was on the down slide? It just hasn't worked out.

Last edited:
I don't eally see where PA is wrong.

He's not saying injuries aren't an excuse, he's just saying Maroney is made of glass.

Consider in 3 seasons, every season has been almost either cut in half or ended due to injuries. How on earth can you say that's NOT injury prone? I don't have anything against Maroney, really I wish the guy well. But I just know something will happen, because the last 3 years have shown me that.

Am I wrong to say that?

EDIT - unlike PA though, I wont bash Bill for taking Maroney, he was the best fit at the time for our offense, isn't that what drafting is all about? Finding the BPA that fits your system, ecspecially when your main RB at the time was on the down slide? It just hasn't worked out.

He's certainly had his share of injuries, but I definitely think that it's overstated. Running backs who don't get injured are the anomaly in today's NFL. Plus, injuries like a broken shoulder are a freak thing, really. They could happen to anyone, and you're just kinda screwed if it happens. Kinda like Brady's injury- he was exceptionally durable, then he got drilled by a hit that would put anyone in the league, no matter how durable they are, out for the year. Does that reflect negatively on Brady's "durability", or is it just crap luck? Frankly,

It's the smaller stuff that, to me, dictates if someone is "made of glass". The injuries that result from standard actions that are pretty much inevitable for any football player. Tendinitis, hamstring/muscle pulls, stuff like that. A player's ability/willingness to play through these inevitable wear-and-tear injuries, IMO, determines his durability. There's definitely some gray area in-between, especially with recurring major injuries, but I wouldn't label Maroney as made of glass because he broke his shoulder. Provided that it doesn't become a chronic problem, it doesn't really say anything about his ability to play through pain or anything like that..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye