PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney for short yardage, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We all know by now that Dillon waved off Maroney on 4th-and-goal, and scored himself. But that means Maroney was headed into the game. We also all know he was tried, unsuccessfully, on 4th-and-short vs. Denver. If BB thinks Maroney is already a serious short-yardage option on a team that has a healthy Dillon, then given all his other skills -- wow. Those who've predicted he'll be principal RB soon may well be right. Indeed, the only thing that would keep him from that role at this point, IMO, would be a deliberate decision to load-balance so as to keep both guys relatively fresh, especially since Maroney split carries even on a college schedule against college opposition.

Last edited:
I've heard it said recently.... and i beleive it... a good RB can't be the everydown back lest their career be shortened to 3 seasons or less. I love the quickness + bruiser approach and hope Dillon stays for another 3 years just to pound the hell out of defenses.

Let's not get carried away. Dillion is our short yardage/clock killer. Maroney can't do that yet, and isn't that type of runner. We are better to let corey do that and keep both of them fresh:cool:

Shortened TO three seasons or shortened BY three seasons???

As much as I like Maroney he is not ready for the HOF just yet, with our three musketeers in the backfield we can produce a lot of looks and keep the D off balance. On Sunday Dillon deserved to get his TD, particularly after his foray in Cincinnati.. Dillon has stood the test of time and deserves all the props he can get. Maroney is still learning and will get his due, he will be a back that the fans will remember for a long time.

I think the only reason Maroney was headed in was that Dillon had just been in on 3 straight plays.

Dillon I think will be the short yardage guy this season, and probably the next as well!

Fencer said:
We all know by now that Dillon waved off Maroney on 4th-and-goal, and scored himself. But that means Maroney was headed into the game. We also all know he was tried, unsuccessfully, on 4th-and-short vs. Denver. If BB thinks Maroney is already a serious short-yardage option on a team that has a healthy Dillon, then given all his other skills -- wow. Those who've predicted he'll be principal RB soon may well be right. Indeed, the only thing that would keep him from that role at this point, IMO, would be a deliberate decision to load-balance so as to keep both guys relatively fresh, especially since Maroney split carries even on a college schedule against college opposition.

Time out. Listen. Maroney couln't run on the Denver D either (and by the way, CD looked good before he got hurt). Understand this. Corey Dillon is a clock killing machine. He punishes the LB's and he softens the D for Maroney. Let's keep things as they are. Corey Dillon has earned the right to wave off a rookie. At that point it's the players decision as the sideline is wondering if he is winded.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that Maroney could be the short yardage guy. He's quick, has vision and solid power. In fact he may be better than Dillon in every role (other than blocking although he's pretty good there). However it's still best to carve out a role for Dillon to get a good split and keep this two headed beast going. Because although Maroney may be better in any given situation, he can't carry the 35-40 times a game we've been running.

zoostation said:
Time out. Listen. Maroney couln't run on the Denver D either (and by the way, CD looked good before he got hurt). Understand this. Corey Dillon is a clock killing machine. He punishes the LB's and he softens the D for Maroney. Let's keep things as they are. Corey Dillon has earned the right to wave off a rookie. At that point it's the players decision as the sideline is wondering if he is winded.
Obviously there's some problem with my writing skills, since what you evidently read in my post has little to do with what I actually meant. Oddly, other folks posting in this thread did seem to understand what I meant ... hmm, maybe I should consider alternative theories.

Tomase makes a persuasive case that Maroney has been a lot more effective when following a lead blocker (Evans or Graham) than in a single-back set. He suggests that this is common for rookies used to running behind blocking backs in college. http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

BelichickFan said:
There's no doubt that Maroney could be the short yardage guy. He's quick, has vision and solid power. In fact he may be better than Dillon in every role (other than blocking although he's pretty good there). However it's still best to carve out a role for Dillon to get a good split and keep this two headed beast going. Because although Maroney may be better in any given situation, he can't carry the 35-40 times a game we've been running.

I disagree. Maroney has decent power. Dillon has exceptional power.

Why mess with something that works? Maroney will have a short career if used the same way we're using dillon.

Why the hell does it really matter to you? Unless your into stats and all and want more TD's for this guy or whatever. They both can score from the goal line, they can both get first downs. Heath Evans can get goal lin TD's, so can Tom Brady. It really doesnt matter.

Preferably Dillon on short yardage for a first down. Maroney has been freaking amazing, however I have seen him pushed back when he tried to go right up the middle. It hasnt happened too much but Dillon usually always on third down conversions with only a few yards gets it. He can really knock over defenders with his size as long as he runs hard. And he has run harder this year then I have seen him.

My point is not about how the short-yardage carries should be divided between Maroney, Dillon, and Evans. Rather, I am noting the fact that he's in the mix, and using that as evidence about his skilset. We know how good he is beyond the LOS. His use suggests that BB seems him as being in Dillon's (and Evans') class even when there is no "beyond" the LOS to worry about.

zoostation said:
I agree. Maroney was shut down by Denver. I would have liked to see them try to get him around the edge against denver.

We also need to remember Maroney is a rookie and rookies usually break down(i.e. Cadillac Williams last year). So I like them splitting and keeping each other fresh. It's an awesome formula for success. One more game and they have the bye week to get even more re-energized.

As long as they're each averaging about 15 carries a game, maybe a little more for Dillon, and the running game continues to be successful then I'm not going to complain.

Everyone seems happy and is playing well. Why mess with success?

Don't get me wrong I love Maroneys break aways but he is not the more consistant running back. It's working the way it is why change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back