PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney Doesn't Break Tackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shazam,

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol he broke 4 tackles in 1 play that went for 2 yards when he was bouncing off people on the right side. So 4 in one play and he doesnt break tackles? He broke plenty if you ask me.

Yes, I said he a great game yesterday. He did lower the boom a couple times and move the pile. Yesterday showed what Maroney could bring to the table.

Our offensive line alone can get ANY back 80 yards on 20 carries this year. If Kyle Eckel can rack up yardage than you know its the oline.

My point is Maroney does not break a lot of tackles like a Brian Westbrook or Corey Dillon after contact but usually avoids contact altogether. I'd like to see him do both.

On stats and tracking: :rolleyes: I'm watching these games at Gillette.

Compare Broken tackles per game for Barber or Ryan Grant to Maroney.

Yes, I said he a great game yesterday. He did lower the boom a couple times and move the pile. Yesterday showed what Maroney could bring to the table.

Our offensive line alone can get ANY back 80 yards on 20 carries this year. If Kyle Eckel can rack up yardage than you know its the oline.

My point is Maroney does not break a lot of tackles like a Brian Westbrook or Corey Dillon after contact but usually avoids contact altogether. I'd like to see him do both.

On stats and tracking: :rolleyes: I'm watching these games at Gillette.

Compare Broken tackles per game for Barber or Ryan Grant to Maroney.

like a Brian Westbrook or Corey Dillon
Yeah, they're very similar:rolleyes:

If you're intending to be an NFL analyst, I wouldn't quit the day job just yet.

Better idea:

Compare what Maroney is asked to do with what he does.

Don't get me wrong. I love watching Barber on plays where he breaks 8 tackles. I love watching Maroney break the 2 or 3 (or 4, for 2 yards) on some plays.

Mostly, I love watching the Patriots win. To my way of thinking, we'll do plenty of that with Maroney at "featured" tailback and Faulk at 3rd down back. I think we're also set to play Maroney every down, if no replacement for Faulk (eventually) materializes. He's being worked into the passing game nicely.

PFnV

Maroney breaks plenty of tackles. He just breaks them so well that it never even looks like he's being tackled. I'd rather have a RB juke a guy out of his shoes than plow over him anyways. Runners like Maroney tend to stay productive a lot longer, in this league, than runners like Dillon.

That said, when the situation demanded it yesterday, Maroney was able to lower his shoulder and drive guys forward on multiple occasions. In fact, now that I think about it, were you even watching the game?

Last edited:
And he has absolutely no trouble employing the ol' stiff-arm for 3 or 4 more yards on a given run.

This thread is dumb. Seriously. Maroney's become a beast who dishes out as many hits as he takes.

Did you see any of the last two games?

Maroney has been a beast and running over people.

You didn't see when he was staying inbounds and lowered his shoulder and absolutely clobbered the corner did you? Man, he just plowed that poor corner, I forget who it was though, maybe McCree?

Last edited:
And you're supposed to run behind those linemen. That's pretty much their job.

When your RB says " I think I'd rather avoid my linemen and break tackles, that's not good".

Hey you know what really sucks though? This thread.

bump

just love seeing Shazam get whacked.

First, Maroney definitely played his best game of the season yesterday. He hit the holes hard, made some great cuts and lowered the boom when he needed to get first downs and the score. If he played like that all the time it would be great.

Dude ... checkout the career of Earl Campbell and then post
this stupidity again... are you new to watching football???

i agree with this -- maroney makes ppl miss

First, Maroney definitely played his best game of the season yesterday. He hit the holes hard, made some great cuts and lowered the boom when he needed to get first downs and the score. If he played like that all the time it would be great.

A lot of his yards, however, are due to the Pats great offensive line blocking and receivers downfield. They are creating massive holes that a lot of backs would look good running through. I think these guys should be getting more of the credit. If Sammy Morris were still playing I think we would see great production from him too.

I decided to start tracking his plays over the last month. The results are interesting.

Yards After Contact: Not many

Maroney had 2 long runs in the Miami game-- both of them he was untouched. He also had a few long receptions vs. Baltimore that he made great plays on -- again untouched. Too many plays the first guy to touch him brings him down. Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney break more tackles than Maroney does against the same guys. Cmon LoMo! Stay inbounds, lower the shoulder and stay on your feet--at least a little more!

Yards After Cut: A Lot

So after tracking the last few games, I realized Maroney is just a different type of runner. Even though he was in the same backfield as Marion Barber and has size, Maroney is really a finesse runner and needs a Corey Dillon or Sammy Morris to soften up the defense so he can slash and burn them.

Yes, he gets tackled a lot by the first guy to touch him which pisses me off. (I really loved Dillon's stiff arms!) BUT, Maroney makes it very hard for anyone to touch him. The first guy to touch him is really the 2nd, 3rd or 4th guy to have a chance to tackle him. So for Maroney the key stat should be Forced Missed Tackles or Yards After Cut. Speed and moves make people miss instead of running them over.

Keep ripping off 4-5 avg per run and the Pats win anyway! Lets just give credit where it is due.

Maroney either gets pulled down in the backfield or busts an 8+ yard carry. The man is a finesse runner in a bruiser's body. You won't break many tackles from D linemen no matter what you do in Madden with LT. He used to have a mean stiff arm. He was using it all of his rookie year. For whatever reason we didn't see it this year though.

Last edited:
Maroney can't break tackles? Try running through 3 or 4 guys surrounding you. Good luck. The run blocking wasn't very good and Maroney didn't get enough carries.

Last edited:
This post got blown out of proportion. blame it on the rookie!

I like watching him run and he has great speed.

Super Bowl--

-tackled by a kicker (the first contact) on a great return. Without his speed he doesn't make the return. Hobbs and Gaffney don't get tackled by kickers, though.
-the other two returns he was heading backward and hit the wedge like a marshmallow.

4 words- Drew mc fad den

This post got blown out of proportion. blame it on the rookie!

I like watching him run and he has great speed.

Super Bowl--

-tackled by a kicker (the first contact) on a great return. Without his speed he doesn't make the return. Hobbs and Gaffney don't get tackled by kickers, though.
-the other two returns he was heading backward and hit the wedge like a marshmallow.

4 words- Drew mc fad den

he didnt get tackled by the kicker idiot..he was pinned on sideline as he was going out and the kicker was the closest person on the end after Maroney outran quiet a few people. kicker barely touched him as he was going out when he had 3 guys around him with an inch away from OB

Maroney either gets pulled down in the backfield or busts an 8+ yard carry. The man is a finesse runner in a bruiser's body. You won't break many tackles from D linemen no matter what you do in Madden with LT. He used to have a mean stiff arm. He was using it all of his rookie year. For whatever reason we didn't see it this year though.
no RB should be pulled down in backfield if he has good blockers. good blockers? what are those? didnt see those on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back