PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney, cream of the crop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I know it's only preseason, but Laurence Maroney sure looks like the real deal, and is handedly outshining the other rookie running backs including Reggie Bush this preseason.

The guy is truly electric and every time he takes the handoff I expect smething great. WHAT A PICK!!!

With Maroney, Dillon, and Faulk, the Pats sure have a lot of variation of weapons in the ground game. I'd love to see some serious red zone running his year with everyone healthy.

EXCITING!!!!!!!

I know!! I get the same feeling too. I think the running game could be REAL special this season, especially if everyone stays healthy!

He looks amazing so far. Power, speed, vision, acceleration, vibrant personality.

Sporin said:
I know it's only preseason, but Laurence Maroney sure looks like the real deal, and is handedly outshining the other rookie running backs including Reggie Bush this preseason.

The guy is truly electric and every time he takes the handoff I expect smething great. WHAT A PICK!!!

With Maroney, Dillon, and Faulk, the Pats sure have a lot of variation of weapons in the ground game. I'd love to see some serious red zone running his year with everyone healthy.

EXCITING!!!!!!!

I'm glad you pointed out that he looks better in the preseason, but I agree, from early returns it seems as though we made the right pick.

It's strange to me that his performance is going unnoticed by the national media while they still harp on guys like Lendale White and D Williams and obviously Reggie Bush.

I guess Lomo needs to pick a fight in camp to get some ESPN love (not that I give a crap what ESPN thinks, I just think it's strange that while they've struggled and he's flourished that the love fest for them continues).

I haven't been impressed with Bush at all. If not for his 44 yd. run he would be averaging about 2 ypc. Not what I would expect from the next coming of christ even if it is preseason.

Look i'll say it now so everyone can get it out of the way.

Maroney is the next Tomlinson.

Happy? Good.

NEM said:
Two EXPERTS on running backs, Mike Shanahan and NEM, :D stated that he was the BEST running back in the draft, not Reggie Bush.
But Shanahan's gripe with Bush not being the best was that he never had to carry the full load for the team and split within the 20 carries with Lendale White. Bush was never an up the middle guy which Shanny loves.

NEM said:
Two EXPERTS on running backs, Mike Shanahan and NEM, :D stated that he was the BEST running back in the draft, not Reggie Bush.

I still think Bush is a rare talent that doesn't come around but once a generation. I am HOPING Maroney is close to that. Players like Bush frequently fail to live up to expectations. But we just KNEW LT and Marshall Faulk were going to be what they were, or at least I could see it. I am a huge PAC 10 football fan so I got to see a lot of Bush and White. I didn't see a lot of Maroney.

I think Maroney is special, though. He could end up getting often injured like a Jamal Lewis and not amount to much. Or he could be durable like LT and Dillon and be the next James Brown. I would settle for somewhere in between.

H'm from Spain It's my first message in this forum. Maroney,I liked him very much in the last game.

Go Pats

Last edited:
I think Thiesmann nailed it exactly right on last night's Cowboys/Saints broadcast...in open space Bush could be the most dangerous runner ever. Trying to run between the tackles or move the pile an extra 3 yards after first contact, Bush is not the guy. And with that offense, Bush's numbers are going to be less than impressive. He's got a target on his chest for every one of the Saints opponents. He'll get his share of yards, but nothing like he'd get playing for a team with a GOOD O-line. The Saints line is average.

Brownfan80 said:
I'm glad you pointed out that he looks better in the preseason, but I agree, from early returns it seems as though we made the right pick.

It's strange to me that his performance is going unnoticed by the national media while they still harp on guys like Lendale White and D Williams and obviously Reggie Bush.

I guess Lomo needs to pick a fight in camp to get some ESPN love (not that I give a crap what ESPN thinks, I just think it's strange that while they've struggled and he's flourished that the love fest for them continues).

Michael Irvin said that Maroney will be the Offensive Rookie of the year on ESPN's Fantasy Draft Special last night. I don't usually hold to much weight in anything he says, but he is getting some love.

How can he not get some love the way he has played so far this preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEM said:

I don't know much about that Shanahan guy, but that I hear that NEM dude is a football genius.

The last time I saw as exciting a rookie RB in PS for the Pats was August 1995.

......and this guy is even better than that guy.

I love watching Reggie Bush play. If he were in an offense like the '99 Rams with Faulk ... good god, but he'd be amazing to watch. But, as mentioned before, he has a pretty high bust potential. He's a special talent, but he's a specialized talent, as well. If used right, he could be devastating. If not, he'll not come close to being what he's hyped to be.

Maroney, otoh, is a classic running talent. Speed to break big gains, enough power to bust tackles, rare vision, very decisive and fast to the hole ... everything you look for in a standard running back.

If each of these guys were in the situation that was just right for them, I still would take Bush. But, there's a pretty decent chance Maroney's going to be better.

I'm certainly glad he's on the Patriots. I love good running backs.

F0nSY said:
H'm from Spain It's my first message in this forum. Maroney,I liked him very much in the last game.

Go Pats

Welcome FOnSY - yes, we love him too - he seems to be the real deal.

PS - I spent almost 4 years at Torrejon Spain, near Madrid - loved it there.

NEM said:

THE Mike Shanahan?!?! Impressive, not many people had the vision to take Clarrett in the third round.

Maroney has looked good but it is preseason and the falcons and cardinals don't exactly have stout run Ds. I think Maroney will have a nice year but we shouldn't even have this debate for at least another year.

mcdonut16 said:
Michael Irvin said that Maroney will be the Offensive Rookie of the year on ESPN's Fantasy Draft Special last night. I don't usually hold to much weight in anything he says, but he is getting some love.

How can he not get some love the way he has played so far this preseason.

I guess I really should be more fair to the big media outlets. It's not like I tune in anytime besides at my lunchbreak, so there might be plenty of love that I'm missing out on.

NEM said:
Hola Fonsy. Bienvenido a nuestra tabla del mensaje. ¿Cómo acabó por un tipo de España es un ventilador de Patriota? ¿Ha estado jamás usted a Foxboro para ver a los Patriotas? Bienvenida. Mi español es muy malo.

jeje tu hablas muy bien el español.Salvo que es Bienvenido no bienvenida jaja si me dices bienvenida te estás refiriendo a una chica o mujer,y algunas cosas mas.Nunca he pisado los Estados Unidos pero veo a menudo a los New England Patriots y a la NFL,gracias por la acogida.Este foro está muy bien.

The fun part of this draft is to see which (if any) of the superhyped rookies actually has a solid NFL career:
Leinhart, Bush, Young, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back