PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney - best stat I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Barry Sanders was considered one of the greatest RBs of all time, and he had a huge number of rushes for negative and low yardage, and a huge variance.

I'm not saying that there isn't something in what you say. The Cowboys won 3 SBs with Emmit Smith, a much lower variance runner than Barry Sanders. Being able to move the chains is good. But home run capability is also good, and some negative runs isn't the end of the world.

Re Maroney, obviously 26% negative yardage says that something isn't working, whether it has to do with him, the way he's being used, the blocking he's getting, or some combination of the above.

Some running back per carry distributions. What's surprising is how similar successful running backs are.

Advanced NFL Stats: Comparing Running Performance

Smart Football: Smart Notes and Links 8/13/2009

Draw your own conclusions. I agree with some. Since we have neither Sanders nor Maroney's stats we'll have to leave that.

That little peak around 16 yds seems to be what separates Adrian Peterson from
other backs. Lots of other curves here.

3813734078_7801aab534_o.png

Last edited:
Re: Maroney- best stat I've seen

Feel free to get the game tapes and watch every one of the 27 carries, even if it's only the TV version of the tapes, since that will at least be something. Then, perhaps, you'll be in a better position to tell us. Here's an example of someone who's apparently taken the time:

One If By Land: Maroney not thriving, but not getting help

You should read the whole thing, and he's not just shining Maroney's shoes. However, this line is probably the reality that people here keep ignoring:

That's an awful lot of work, acting as an apologist for slim showings. Most NFL backs can produce, when a decent hole is provided. Great backs make something out of nothing... Any RB makes hay while the sun shines, but to say that it's always cloudy over Lawrence Maroney? A real stretch. Sorry.
All I can honestly say is, that I cringe each and every time I hear Maroney's name called.
I do not care much for him.

I know there has been a ton of Maroney hating on this site, but I think that this stat needs to be posted. It was just posted on Mike Reiss' blog. Of all of Maroney's carries this season 26% of them have been for losses. That clearly says that Maroney isnt getting off the ball and hitting the hole hard enough. It isnt saying he dances too much, its saying he just doesnt get to the hole fast enough. Fred Taylor on the other hand, gets to the hole very fast only has 4% of his carries stopped for losses, Maroney needs to start learning from Taylor how to get off the ball and get to the hole faster.

According to Mike Reiss' blog:
The breakdown of negative runs:

Laurence Maroney -- 7 in 27 attempts
Fred Taylor -- 2 in 45 attempts
Sammy Morris -- 2 in 13 attempts
Kevin Faulk -- 1 in 16 attempts

Nice post. The stats are even more impressive when totaled:Negative runs

Laurence Maroney 7 in 27 attempts = 26%
Other Patriot RB's 5 in 74 attempts = 6.7%

1 they need use a FB when maroney run's the ball because he has bad vision for a so called starter

2 every one and there momma know's that when maroney is in the back field the pats are runing the ball so it's hard to get yerd's when the other team know's what your doing

1 they need use a FB when maroney run's the ball because he has bad vision for a so called starter

2 every one and there momma know's that when maroney is in the back field the pats are runing the ball so it's hard to get yerd's when the other team know's what your doing

I disagree. I actually think Maroney is a decent receiving RB.

I know there has been a ton of Maroney hating on this site, but I think that this stat needs to be posted. It was just posted on Mike Reiss' blog. Of all of Maroney's carries this season 26% of them have been for losses. That clearly says that Maroney isnt getting off the ball and hitting the hole hard enough. It isnt saying he dances too much, its saying he just doesnt get to the hole fast enough. Fred Taylor on the other hand, gets to the hole very fast only has 4% of his carries stopped for losses, Maroney needs to start learning from Taylor how to get off the ball and get to the hole faster.

According to Mike Reiss' blog:
The breakdown of negative runs:

Laurence Maroney -- 7 in 27 attempts
Fred Taylor -- 2 in 45 attempts
Sammy Morris -- 2 in 13 attempts
Kevin Faulk -- 1 in 16 attempts

Maroney is fast. Faster than Faulk or Taylor. He gets to the line as fast as anyone. Then he does the turkey dance. He does not want to be going full speed when he gets hit. It might hurt.

Alright, but its the same OL blocking for all of the other backs, and they dont have even as close to as many negative carries as Maroney does. Do they just not like blocking for him?

He is being hit behind the line of scrimmage because he doesnt come off the ball and hit the hole hard enough. Why dont you do some video watching of your own and watch some of Fred Taylors runs and see how hard he comes off the ball and hits the hole.

When Maroney is running the O-Line is afraid of him. If you watch him he normally runs into one of them before he starts to dance. The O-Line is afraid Maroney is going to injure one of them. Its like he closes his eyes until he hits something, then he starts to dance. I hate him :cool:

The turkey dance, that's a good one.

He's looking for a hole...a lot of times it isn't there. Somehow Fred Taylor would knife through and make something happen, but Maroney has no momentum when there is no hole. It's really sad.

I just think he's not a natural RB. He's the RB version of Bethel Johnson. Talented, but not a natural football player.

BJGE might be the savior here.

The turkey dance, that's a good one.

He's looking for a hole...a lot of times it isn't there. Somehow Fred Taylor would knife through and make something happen, but Maroney has no momentum when there is no hole. It's really sad.

I just think he's not a natural RB. He's the RB version of Bethel Johnson. Talented, but not a natural football player.

BJGE might be the savior here.

Lets see if BJGE does the turkey dance or hits the hole.

Belichick has hit every first down pick. Enough Bill, your perfect run is over.

Lots of things. Blocking failures. not getting to the hole fast enough. Not reading the D. Dancing. mishandling of the handoff...

don't forget... him being a BUST and all. You gotta mention that.

don't forget... him being a BUST and all. You gotta mention that.

I'm not sure what is says about you when you have an irrational hatred for one of your OWN team's players.

Maroney is no longer an explosive runner ... fast but not explosive. The injuries took their toll ... either he learns to run differently or he'll be a #3 somewhere playing for $1 million a year.

Maroney was at his best cutting back against the grain ... he used to change direction by just swiveling his hips ... he can't do it like he used to. He has to turn his entire body to change direction and that is too slow for todays NFL.

Enough of the Maroney threads and the Maroney secrets. The guy has had too many injuries ... it happens. he was a great runner and now he's a bit better than average ... maybe. Bring on the hate.

That little peak around 16 yds seems to be what separates Adrian Peterson from
other backs. Lots of other curves here.

3813734078_7801aab534_o.png

That's a really interesting graph, and suggests that what separates the Adrian Peterson's from the average NFL running back is not that much. Those little peaks that you suggest differentiate him occurred on less than 2% of carries.

I'm not sure what is says about you when you have an irrational hatred for one of your OWN team's players.

a lot of ppl say he is a solid runner..... HE IS NOT. So many ppl defend him and I do not understand why? :confused:

Code:
[quote="IcyPatriot, post: 1543455"]
   Enough of the Maroney threads and the Maroney secrets.  The guy has had too many injuries ... it happens.  he was a great runner and now he's a bit better than average ... maybe.  Bring on the hate.[/QUOTE]

ICE COLD - I love it. :singing:

Can one of you geniuses that is dishing LoMo give me stats for a successful running back in the NFL who does not have a lead blocker?

I'd be very interested to hear from one of you making a decent contribution instead of spouting rubbish.

Can one of you geniuses that is dishing LoMo give me stats for a successful running back in the NFL who does not have a lead blocker?

I'd be very interested to hear from one of you making a decent contribution instead of spouting rubbish.

the only thing rubbish here was "Eagle Eye" the movie.:rofl:

i'll give you a stat of "solid production"

Player Team
Yds

Att

Avg

TDs

Long
LaDainian Tomlinson SD

Larry Johnson KC

Frank Gore SF

Tiki Barber NYG

Steven Jackson STL

Willie Parker PIT

Rudi Johnson CIN

Brian Westbrook PHI

Chester Taylor MIN

Travis Henry TEN

Thomas Jones CHI

Edgerrin James ARI

Ladell Betts WAS

Fred Taylor JAC

Warrick Dunn ATL

Jamal Lewis BAL

Julius Jones DAL

Joseph Addai IND

Ahman Green GB

Deuce McAllister NO

Tatum Bell DEN

Ronnie Brown MIA

Willis McGahee BUF

Maurice Jones-Drew JAC

DeShaun Foster CAR

Shaun Alexander SEA

Corey Dillon NE

Cadillac Williams TB

Reuben Droughns CLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back