Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPatsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
August 16, 2006
Alan Greenberg, Courant Staff Writer

<SNIP>
Not only was it the first NFL game Maroney played in, it was the first NFL game he'd ever attended. His mother flew in from St. Louis to see him play.

"My first NFL game," Maroney said. "I was just lucky to play in it. The holes closed a lot faster. It's still football. It was a lot of fun."

Did he receive a lot of congratulations afterward?

"To tell you the truth, I never really got around to checking my messages."

When it comes to running the ball, there's not much of a learning curve, even when you're making the jump from college to the NFL. At running back, it's fairly obvious from the get-go whether you've got it or you don't. Maroney's got it.

Belichick says that the most difficult thing for a rookie NFL running back to learn is the passing game - how to run his routes, how and who to block in pass protection. Maroney only had a few chances in pass protection Friday night, but when he did, he didn't just settle for a draw, he slammed his man. And when he wasn't on the field - he only played in the first half - he could be seen talking to Tom Brady, absorbing some wisdom. Smart move.

"It was a good learning experience," Maroney said of his first game. "But it's in the past. I made a couple of good runs, but I can't take anything from that. It was just one game. I have to do it day in and day out. I have to be consistent."

http://www.courant.com/sports/footb...ug16,0,2728726.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think we're going to like this kid. ;)

I really like what I'm hearing from him. Seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. He's already talking like a person who looks towards the future rather than the past. Fantastic.

Every day sounds more and more like the typical Pats Player, will be a fan favorite by the end of the season.

What a great pick. Talented and a great attitude to boot. Maroney's going to be a good one.

Maroney sei un grande !!!

I was very impressed with Maroney, I had never really seen him in college other than on highlight videos and he certainly didn't disappoint. Let's just hope he can play at a high level all year because Dillon/Maroney could be one of, if not the best, RB combo in the league if it all goes well.

Rookie of the year, the next Walter Payton, put him in the HOF.

The kid's got it !

"It was a good learning experience," Maroney said of his first game. "But it's in the past. I made a couple of good runs, but I can't take anything from that. It was just one game. I have to do it day in and day out. I have to be consistent."

BELICHICKEASE that is ... he already knows how to speak it! :)

Last edited:
JR4 said:
The kid's got it !

BELICHICKEASE that is ... he already knows how to speak it! :)

I picture that the Patriots playbook includes a lot of sentence diagrams, working off of two base formations:

THE NO-COMMENT
Variants:
"I'm not a doctor"
"It is what it is"

THE PLAY-IT-DOWN
Variants:
"We saw some good things, and some things to work on"
"I'm just keeping my head down and trying to get better"
"We're just concerned about this week against (insert opponent here). It's going to be a big challenge, their (insert minor stat category here) is one of the best in the league."
"They're not putting him in the Hall of Fame yet"

Ceresco said:
Rookie of the year, the next Walter Payton, put him in the HOF.

I don't think he will be....good enough to be but I still think Corey is going to be the man this year. They will split some carries which is good for the Pats because they complement each other. If either "carries the load" by themself we will have a good ground game, but together I think t will be great.

I don't think he will get enough carries to be ROY. He will be a big part of the Pats this year and a key to thier success, but the "voters" never will recognize anything but pure fantasy stats and won't see the contribution to TEAM success that I think this kid will give us this year.

Great quotes from him...maybe he should talk to Deion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes