Maroney as Kick Returner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2006/08/09/sports/sports04.txt

In three seasons at Minnesota, Maroney returned only 28 kickoffs with 16 of those coming as a freshman. Still, he averaged 23.8 yards for his career, including a robust 25.8 yards as a freshman, when he had an 88-yard runback.

‘‘I think he’d be a great kickoff-return guy’’ in the NFL, said Vic Adamle, Maroney’s position coach at Minnesota. ‘‘He could have been our punt-return guy. He was our emergency punt-return guy. We didn’t utilize him as much (there) as we probably should have.’’
-----
As for the risk of injury, Belichick brushed that aside.

‘‘What’s going to happen when you hand them the ball?’’ Belichick said. ‘‘They still have 11 guys chasing them. That’s what (a back) does, he runs with the ball. Good runners have a way of running with it and running with power, but somehow avoiding those big hits. That’s what makes them good runners. You have a lot more space to work with on a kickoff return than you do sometimes on an in-line play.’’

i dont mind him as our return man. i mean if hes the best we got..start him. hes not starting at RB this season unless Corey has an accident so might aswell get him where he might be able to make plays and contribute

Last edited by a moderator:
Remix 6 said:
i dont mind him as our return man. i mean if hes the best we got..start him. hes not starting at RB this season unless Corey has an accident so might aswell get him where he might be able to make plays and contribute
not only that remix,but as BB stated..he's carrying the ball with 11 guys coming after him so I think it will be good for him to get another opportunity to get used to the speed of the game and get a feel for the ball in his hands ya know?Well said also in the fact that its all about making plays and having the chance to contribute.I for one am stoked to have Maroney on our team.

The whole injury thing is stupid. They're football players so they play football. Maybe Brady shouldn't play this year because he might get hurt. If Maroney can help on KR, let's go . . .

It can't hurt. I'd rather him do it than someone like Hobbs. Since everyone thinks Dillon will have a monster year, Maroney will be expendable to a degree. Our top 2-3 CBs aren't.

I can't really remember the last time a Patriots kick-off returner was hurt ... certainly happens less often than RBs getting hurt. And it's an important part of the game ... what're you gonna do, have the 53rd guy on the team return kicks just to be safe?

PlattsFan said:
I can't really remember the last time a Patriots kick-off returner was hurt ... certainly happens less often than RBs getting hurt. And it's an important part of the game ... what're you gonna do, have the 53rd guy on the team return kicks just to be safe?

does the name Bethel Johnson ring a bell?

--when the early reports came in that he was fielding kicks cleanly it occurred to me that he'd end up on the kickoff-return squad--dude has wheels, shimmy, good hands and vision and the desire to make an impact/prove himself...perfect formula...

I've got no doubts about Maroney's legs and his ability to move the ball forward once he has it - I just question whether he's got the hands to serve as a punt or KO returner.

In many game situations BB would probably still rather have Troy Brown's sure hands under a kick off knowing he's giving up yards on the return, but minimizing the risk of a turn over

JoeSixPat said:
I've got no doubts about Maroney's legs and his ability to move the ball forward once he has it - I just question whether he's got the hands to serve as a punt or KO returner.
This is about being a receiver out of the backfield but it doesn't sound like he has a hands problem :

"While rookie running back Laurence Maroney still has to prove himself in many areas of the passing game (route running, blitz pickup, hot reads, etc.), his hands are obviously NFL-quality. He can catch the ball.
“Anyone who says he can’t catch should come to training camp,†said veteran running back Kevin Faulk. “Because he’s caught a lot of balls here.†. . ."

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=152358&format=&page=3

JoeSixPat said:

In many game situations BB would probably still rather have Troy Brown's sure hands under a kick off knowing he's giving up yards on the return, but minimizing the risk of a turn over
Maroney is ready for kickoffs, he'd need more experience to handle punts as I read the situation, but kickoffs give him a little more time to focus on his catch and set himself for the run. He won't necessarily be the smoothest out of the gates, but he'll do just fine once he's tucked the rock away. I'm inclined to believe Andrews will be making the club for his punt return ability, but I won't be surprised if he winds up pulling a Blue/Hobbs development - I just hope we don't need him to play as much in that capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't like starters or key players doing returns. To me it's too risky. A good punt return for us is 8 yards why chance it for 8 yards.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm inclined to believe Andrews will be making the club for his punt return ability
I was surprised to read in Curran's column today that Andrews returned more kicks the last 3 years than any other Division I player. Based on that he must have seen it all in terms of judgement on bad kicks, etc, which is where the risk with a young guy is. I really hope Andrews looks good on PR, it's a big need that he could fill.

rabthepat said:
Personally I don't like starters or key players doing returns. To me it's too risky. A good punt return for us is 8 yards why chance it for 8 yards.
You wouldn't be saying that if we broke off a 25 yard PR in a big game. Or a 60 yard kickoff as Maroney would be a KR not a PR. Return yards are yards too.

rabthepat said:

8 yards? that's not a good return...a touchdown is a good return...

special teams are a major key to putting a team over the edge--football players play, and I'd LOVE to see Maroney or Andrews go house on a kick return...

rabthepat said:
A good run is four yards. Why chance Maroney for four yards?

Because you want him to get more than four yards. Or eight yards. Because he is being paid to run with a football in his hand and avoid tackles.

The reason not to use his as a punt returner to me is that it is shifty quick guys work best on punt returns. The first second with the ball determines yardage. But give him the ball on offensive plays and kick returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down