PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney/Addai Comparison Since Matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't we just agree that these are two very good backs on two very good teams?

And that because they are on great passing teams, but teams that use personnel differently, they are asked to do different things from each other and from some other backs in the NFL?

Agreed. Maroney had many games where he had zero touches in the first half. A great running back needs the ball to get a rhythm. After the Patriots game, Addai was working behind a makeshift line. Ugoh (sp) Diem and Scott were out. Neither guy takes a back seat.

Maroney showed something toward the end of the season. He's got the speed and open-field moves. Now if he can just work on his impact at the LOS -- which, in fairness, was getting better and better as the season progressed -- he'll be all right. Haven't been able to see his blocking. How's that??

//

I posted this as a reply in the disappointment thread but I thought it was interesting enough to be its own thread

Here are some interesting numbers since the Indy/NE game:

Carries

Addai - 108
Maroney - 96

since they played the same number of games (NE had a bye and Indy just took one themselves) that amounts to.....

Carries per game

Addai - 15.4
Maroney - 13.7

Is that really that much of a difference? And if you say something like, "Well, Indy has been resting him for the playoffs" why is that any more reasonable than the earlier talk of NE resting Maroney for the final stretch? Besides, let's take a look at how effective those carries were.

Total rushing yards

Addai - 341
Maroney - 430

Rushing yards per game

Addai - 48
Maroney - 61

Less carries and more yards. Isn't that doing better? What is interesting is that NE actually faced the more difficult run defenses over that time as well. Indy faced teams allowing an average ypc of 4.1 why NE's opponents averaged 3.9.

Now, just to be fair, NE didn't run Maroney that much against the better run stopping teams (although both him and Addai ran 13 times against Baltimore) so I went through and calculated how many yards each would have gotten if they just ran for the defense's average for each rush. (for example, both guys would be expected to have run for 36.4 yards against Baltimore since 13 x 2.8 = 36.4) That way, Maroney would lose some credit because his largest attempt total was against one of the worst rush D's. Here are those numbers along with what they actually ran (from above)

Addai - 443.4 (341)
Maroney - 377.2 (430)

So Addai ran for over 100 yards less than the average while Maroney was about 50 over. On a ypc rate that looks like

Addai - 4.1 (3.2 actual)
Maroney - 3.9 (4.5 actual)

Again, Addai averaged nearly a full yard per rush less than the mean while Maroney was half a yard over. This isn't just because of the Miami game either, in those seven games Addai has only run for more ypc than the opponent typically allowed one time - and that was only by 0.2 ypc! 4 other times he was under with two essential draws. Maroney split it right down the middle with three over, three under and one draw.

Addai does have Maroney beaten hands down as a receiver and that is irrefutible, but it is my contention that Faulk's excellence on that role steals many of Maroney's opportunities. I would bet a large sum of money that Laurence would have comparable numbers to Addai if Faulk were not on the team.

As much as Addai clearly outperformed Maroney in the first half, Maroney has done nearly the same thing since then to significantly less fanfare.

Very nice post, and well researched. It's hare to argue that Maroney has turned it around. I have to say, I am now thrilled that they rested him, as he should be on all cylinders for the playoffs.

Loved the post.

Nice research.
Hasn't Addai had nagging injuries for the 2nd half of the season? I had seen a couple of Colt's games where Addai didn't look good, and was getting punished in games.
Like the Pats, it seems with only 1 back-up rb behind Addai, I would understand the need to protect Addai for the stretch run.
I know, for me, I'd fear for every team the Pats faced, if they had the luxury of a 2 headed rushing attack with Morris & Maroney to balance Brady & co on offense.

Ya, he was dinged for several games. I think it was the Atlanta game that he got hurt in. He played kind of spotty after that and the Colts line was banged up, so I think the Colts didn't take a chance with getting him re-injured/more injured.

I was surprised with the lack of play/success for Maroney early on, but he should have answered any questions and rested any worries that you guys may have had.

Ya, he was dinged for several games. I think it was the Atlanta game that he got hurt in. He played kind of spotty after that and the Colts line was banged up, so I think the Colts didn't take a chance with getting him re-injured/more injured.

I was surprised with the lack of play/success for Maroney early on, but he should have answered any questions and rested any worries that you guys may have had.

I hope that my post doesn't come off as an indictment of Addai. He is a fabulous back and despite not-so-hot numbers against Baltimore he actually had a couple nice runs that only a handful of guys could do.

The reason that I bring this up is that Addai's hot start along with his great game against NE seemed to be the catalyst of really bad Maroney bashing. I just wanted to point out that - regardless of the circumstances - Maroney has been the better guy for some time now. And while Addai has been battling a few injuries and OL issues, Maroney faced the same thing in the early part of the season.

Both guys are good.

I hope that my post doesn't come off as an indictment of Addai. He is a fabulous back and despite not-so-hot numbers against Baltimore he actually had a couple nice runs that only a handful of guys could do.

The reason that I bring this up is that Addai's hot start along with his great game against NE seemed to be the catalyst of really bad Maroney bashing. I just wanted to point out that - regardless of the circumstances - Maroney has been the better guy for some time now. And while Addai has been battling a few injuries and OL issues, Maroney faced the same thing in the early part of the season.

Both guys are good.

I didn't take it that way, but I just wanted to throw that out there. I'm just glad that my fantasy teams weren't effected by their low points. :D

Great post, as always Oswlek.

I guess some people want the team to have the success it has had, but at the same time want it done on terms they like better. I do not know how anyone can criticize the RB on the best offense ever because the best offense ever was so good at throwing the ball it didn't hand off to him a lot.

Some of it comes from a profound ignorance of the game of football - and what it takes to go out on that field and be successful day after day, week after week, year after year. If you read some of these people's posts, every offensive play must work perfectly .... every defensive play must result in a loss or incomplete. Anything short of that ..... and they 'suck'.

But I think perhaps that the largest contributor to this strange phenomenon is simply because there are so many people that can't feel good about themselves unless they can tear down someone else. And the biggest high comes from throwing rocks at the guy at the top of the heap.

Having grown up in New England, and lived around the US and abroad for several years, I can tell you that it not unique to New England ...... but we definitely seem to have far more than our fair share.

R

Addai does have Maroney beaten hands down as a receiver and that is irrefutible, but it is my contention that Faulk's excellence on that role steals many of Maroney's opportunities. I would bet a large sum of money that Laurence would have comparable numbers to Addai if Faulk were not on the team.

This is most definitely true. And Faulk just seems to get better and better. Anyone know the last time he fumbled ?

I still secretly subscribe to the conspiracy theory that throwing to Maroney out of the backfield is something that BB is saving for the playoffs. We saw a few of those plays in the middle of the season (one game in fact) ..... and those plays were devastating ......

R

This is most definitely true. And Faulk just seems to get better and better. Anyone know the last time he fumbled ?

I still secretly subscribe to the conspiracy theory that throwing to Maroney out of the backfield is something that BB is saving for the playoffs. We saw a few of those plays in the middle of the season (one game in fact) ..... and those plays were devastating ......

R

Faulk fumbled after a wicked hit in Buffalo that was recovered by Moss.

That was the first time he had fumbled since the Denver playoff game.

I dont disagree with that. From what Ive seen Maroney is excellent at execute the pass block. I wouldn't be surprised to review film and see that Faulk gets to the blitzer better, but Maroney blocks him better when he gets there.
I also think Maroney is improving there too, because he is in on passing plays more and more frequently.

I was with you on much of your first post, but no way does maroney block better on blitz pick up. Faulk is as good as I have ever seen at that. Maybe someday Maroney will be there, but I would not rate him Faulk's equal, nor would I say that Maroney is excellent at it.

Excellent work. That took quite a bit of effort, and you should be commended.

For what it's worth, although I haven't had time to do a lot of film lately, Maroney does seem to be improving a lot in pass protection.

This post, combined with FO's stats, will surely convince my friends who have already decided that Maroney is terrible.
Also note, Maroney hasn't fumbled the ball once. In this offense, that is HUGE, since the role of our running game is basically "keep 'em honest and don't screw up".

As for the Giants game- Maroney did well. He got stuffed a few times, but every time that I saw, there were multiple guys in the backfield. And if the Maroney haters watched- the same thing happened to faulk.

(Impressions are so easy to make- baseball taught me that first. I trust the stats).

Faulk has also gotten much better at holding onto the ball since his early years.

I was with you on much of your first post, but no way does maroney block better on blitz pick up. Faulk is as good as I have ever seen at that. Maybe someday Maroney will be there, but I would not rate him Faulk's equal, nor would I say that Maroney is excellent at it.

There are several "analysts" that actually say that, while Faulk is clearly superior at reading the blitz, Maroney has the better blocking technique.

I hsve no opinion on this, but Andy isn't the only one to hold this opinion.

There are several "analysts" that actually say that, while Faulk is clearly superior at reading the blitz, Maroney has the better blocking technique.

I hsve no opinion on this, but Andy isn't the only one to hold this opinion.

I don't claim to know much about blocking technique, but I know something about "analysts"....lol....there were "analysts" who claimed that Copernicus was wrong too:cool:
All I know is, if you asked 100 Pats fans which back they want next to Brady when the blitz is on, virtually everyone is going to say Faulk, not Maroney.

I don't claim to know much about blocking technique, but I know something about "analysts"....lol....there were "analysts" who claimed that Copernicus was wrong too:cool:
All I know is, if you asked 100 Pats fans which back they want next to Brady when the blitz is on, virtually everyone is going to say Faulk, not Maroney.

I agree, but that isn't the same thing. Recognition of where the blitz is coming from is the most important part of blitz pickup because even if you suck at blocking, just getting in the way is often enough. On the other hand, even if your technique is perfect, you still need to be in position to use your perfect technique and that requires recogntion of the blitzer.

Just the fact that Laurence has found himself on the field for as many passing plays as he had recently speaks volumes. It was LoMo that was there on the 4th down play of NE's first drive so it isn't as if he only comes in for "unimportant" plays.

I agree, but that isn't the same thing. Recognition of where the blitz is coming from is the most important part of blitz pickup because even if you suck at blocking, just getting in the way is often enough. On the other hand, even if your technique is perfect, you still need to be in position to use your perfect technique and that requires recogntion of the blitzer.

Just the fact that Laurence has found himself on the field for as many passing plays as he had recently speaks volumes. It was LoMo that was there on the 4th down play of NE's first drive so it isn't as if he only comes in for "unimportant" plays.

If you watched the Game of the Week show, you heard BB talking to Maroney and telling him he wanted him to get the ball on the onsides if it went to a certain side. He certainly seems to have faith in LoMo on the occasions I've seen on film.

As an aside, watching that was great because they used some different camera angles. On the running plays that they showed Maroney getting stopped trying, it seemed clear (at least to me) from the camera angles that there were no holes to be found to run through.

If the option provided to the 100 Pats fans are: 1) Faulk, 2) Maroney, 3) Whoever BB thinks is best for the situation, I'd hope that a significant majority of the fans would choose option 3.
If BB thinks the overall combined value of Maroney being in backfield and the pass/run defense personnel it dictates is better for the team, I wouldn't question it :)

If the option provided to the 100 Pats fans are: 1) Faulk, 2) Maroney, 3) Whoever BB thinks is best for the situation, I'd hope that a significant majority of the fans would choose option 3.
If BB thinks the overall combined value of Maroney being in backfield and the pass/run defense personnel it dictates is better for the team, I wouldn't question it :)

I wouldn't question it either!
But, adding your option #3 above changes the whole question. I'm not asking who should be in the game at RB on any given play. I will gladly defer to BB on that one.
My point is, if you , as pats fan, had to pick an RB to be back there, at this stage of thier careers, while the bilitz was on, who would you pick?
My pick is Faulk, and I think most would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back