PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney -- 23 plays, 15 carries, 18 touches

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I said after the Buffalo/Jets games. I thought the playcalling was rather good and balanced in the Falcons and Ravens games before the injuries to RB occurred. But meh, I'm just fan. What do I know?
My bad, I thought you meant that you after the 2 games you liked the play-calling.

Blame the different languages we speak ;)

:)

Maroney has been running hard, but we're going to need Taylor's power in the playoffs against the Cinncinnati's and the Pittsburgh's of the AFC in order to move the chains as well. I do agree with Sammy, but I would also hope that we use him in 2 RB, 3 WR shotgun formations on the other side of Brady along with Faulk on third down. Sammy is a viable option to catch the ball as well and has a good mix of power and speed to beat one on one coverage against a linebacker.

It will definitely be great to get Taylor back and have a nice tandem of healthy backs for the playoffs. Don't forget the last time Maroney was in the playoffs he did pretty damn well.

My bad, I thought you meant that you after the 2 games you liked the play-calling.

You wankers and your "English"...

Way too predictable offense

This team needs a few gadget plays down the line in the next few games to mix in with run and pass like Flea Flicker or end around ect:

Right now Fans in the upper tier bleacher seats know what the Patriots next offensive play is going to be :rolleyes:

O'Brien really has no imagination but to design plays like Brady chucking it up to Moss and Welker every other play and teams are figuring that out and stopping it cold just like they did in the latter part of 2007 when the Pats suddenly stopped putting 40 or more on the board.

Last edited:
What this offense needs, all it needs, is a big, strong intimidating running back that every defense has to respect. Corey Dillon anyone? Faulk, Morris, Maroney and Taylor by committee is good but they all have to be healthy to be feared.

I would love to see a Cedric Benson, Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson type in our backfield. That would be a joy to watch what TB would do with that kinda firepower.......

I loved it when we picked up Dillon. I drool over the thought of getting Jackson from the Rams.

I also thought that he was saying that he liked the playcalling of the 1st two games, and did wonder what the heck he was smoking. :D

I agree. With more RBs with different styles, the Pats will have more options.

From what I've seen, that means the option to feature all three early, then let them sit.

Unfortunately, O'Brien did what everyone's biggest complaint of Weis was prior to Corey Dillon - gave up on the run in the second half. Weis would have called the game better, but there is no guarantee that he would have ran Maroney more.

Well, people complain about a lot of things. Actually, I think there was a poster (can't remember his name:D) who complained whenever Weis called anything except a pass.

I have a clear memory of Antowain getting his only 20+ runs late in games when the defense was worn out.

I feel, no matter what plays we call, everything is just a show to set up a long Brady to Moss pass. In other words, no one expects them to patiently march down the field using different receivers, mixing up short passes, screens and runs.

If I know they'll abandon patience, I imagine defenses do also.

Last edited:
I think Maroney has earned his way to getting 15 to 20 carries per game. He's really stepped up when given the chance to be the lead back, and I still think he should be used more on screens and in the passing game.

Still gotta use Faulk on some runs, in passing game, and on 3rd downs, out of shotgun, etc. Save Morris/BJGE for some short yardage 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 1. Work Taylor back in slowly so he is fresh and ready to go for the playoffs. The main 3 I'd go with in the playoffs is probably Maroney, Faulk, Taylor (if proven healthy). I think Morris is the 4th option and probably better in limited time b/c the guy always finds a way to get hurt.

Though I've had a hard time deciding what I think of him, I like the way Maroney's playing. His aggressive style is still developing and I think the fumbles are a result of his adjusting to this running style, and with some coaching, I think the fumbling problem should go away. If someone could turn Tiki "Fumbleruski" Barber around, then surely the Pats can right the ship with Maroney. Besides, I think this new turn stems from coaching, so if we can say that he's coachable, that's definitely worth something.

The guy has earned the right to carry the ball more, but getting Taylor back will give the Pats fresh legs in the 4th quarter to get those tough yards that have been so elusive of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes