PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Markell Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's my problem. Those 4 all project as 4-3 DEs or 3-4 OLBs. Also included in the 4-3 DEs is Shaun Ellis (43DE/34DE). Also included in the 3-4 OLBs in Ninkovich (34OLB/43OLB). So either way, there are 5 guys at the same position fighting for playing time, and I don't see Moore as the better early down starter (Ellis and Carter at 4-3 DE, Cunningham and Ninkovich at 3-4 OLB), or as a better 4-man line subpackage guy (Anderson and Carter/Cunningham).

I also think people are underrating Andre Carter a lot. Yes, Moore looked good in limited time last season. But Carter has been doing that for 10 years. He's started 134 games and had tons of success as a 4-3 DE. I'll be shocked if he doesn't start, and it sounds like he's had a very good camp so far.

Ellis could line up at DT in the 4 man front, I don't think it's a given that he'll be at DE. I'd be surprised if he spends more time at DE than DT this year.

I don't think Ninkovich is strictly a OLB, he could also see some time at 4-3 DE.

I'm looking forward to Thursday, Markell Carter has been completely off my radar so far, and I hope to see enough of him to form an opinion.

Ellis could line up at DT in the 4 man front, I don't think it's a given that he'll be at DE. I'd be surprised if he spends more time at DE than DT this year.

I don't think Ninkovich is strictly a OLB, he could also see some time at 4-3 DE.

I'm looking forward to Thursday, Markell Carter has been completely off my radar so far, and I hope to see enough of him to form an opinion.

They didn't give Ellis 4M a year to split snaps with Wilfork and Haynesworth. They'll want all three on the field at the same time.

I think Ninkovich has the ability to play 4-3 DE, but there are better rushers available there. He'll continue to get snaps there, but in my mind, he's fighting Fletcher for the starting SLB job. It sounds like he's already beaten out Guyton.

And as for Carter, Reiss said he got 4 snaps in the last game. Probably trying to hide him from teams that would steal him on waivers.

Right. The way it looks now, one of ACarter, Anderson, Cunningham, and Moore isn't making it. MCarter has no chance. Of course, they probably weren't expecting too much from a rookie from Central Arkansas during a shortened offseason.

that sucks "the way it looks now, one of ACarter, Anderson, Cunningham, and Moore isn't making it".

that is a good trough of talent. Anyway that doesn't happen?:confused:

I would love all 4

Last edited:
that sucks "the way it looks now, one of ACarter, Anderson, Cunningham, and Moore isn't making it".

that is a good trough of talent. Anyway that doesn't happen?:confused:

I would love all 4

Well you can have all 4. But then how are you splitting the snaps up? I'd rather have the extra WR or TE than keep a 5th DE.

They didn't give Ellis 4M a year to split snaps with Wilfork and Haynesworth. They'll want all three on the field at the same time.
So by that logic, where does Mike Wright and his 3M fit in? Is he going to split snaps with Wilfork and Haynesworth? Or will he be the other DE because his salary is higher than the other DEs?

Besides, it's not like Wilfork and Haynesworth are going to be on the field every single play. They're going to rotate guys in and out. I see Ellis and his 4M salary as a dramatic improvement to that rotation.

Maybe you're right that Ellis will be at DE. But you're not going to convince me with an argument based on his salary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back