PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Markell Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was wondering where 6th round pick Markell Carter was in the Jags game?

He was the most intruiging late round pick in a position of need but I did not see him get a snap in the game.

I would think in a blowout we would have had Carter in there for at least a play or two if he indeed is going to be on the roster as a pass rushing addition.

Injured perhaps or holding him back for some reason?

Last edited:
He played. I didn't see him make any plays although I wasn't watching him that close. The few plays I did watch him I thought he was blocked easily. He was number 49 I believe.

I don't think he was injured or anything, he just didn't get on the field too much. The coaching staff seems to want to give the players they're looking at as many snaps as possible to get a better look at them. That could be why he didn't get on much. I'm sure we'll see him a lot more in some of the upcoming games though.

Practice reports have him viewed as a fast, but very raw player. It will be tough for him to make the final roster given that if the Patriots are playing more 4-3 we won't need as many LBs, and we have plenty of depth. I expect to see him on the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Last edited:
I don't think he was injured or anything, he just didn't get on the field too much. The coaching staff seems to want to give the players they're looking at as many snaps as possible to get a better look at them. That could be why he didn't get on much. I'm sure we'll see him a lot more in some of the upcoming games though.

Practice reports have him viewed as a fast, but very raw player. It will be tough for him to make the final roster given that if the Patriots are playing more 4-3 we won't need as many LBs, and we have plenty of depth. I expect to see him on the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Are you sure? I thought I saw him in the 4th quarter. I guess it could have been someone else. 49 Right?

I think the PS is his best chance.

I think the PS is his best chance.

Right. The way it looks now, one of ACarter, Anderson, Cunningham, and Moore isn't making it. MCarter has no chance. Of course, they probably weren't expecting too much from a rookie from Central Arkansas during a shortened offseason.

The way it looks now, one of ACarter, Anderson, Cunningham, and Moore isn't making it.

Really? I'd find this shocking. I think there's room for all four of those guys, especially given the flexibility required of 4-3/3-4. I believe all four of those guys will make the 53. Am I confused,numbers-wise?

Really? I'd find this shocking. I think there's room for all four of those guys, especially given the flexibility required of 4-3/3-4. I believe all four of those guys will make the 53. Am I confused,numbers-wise?

I would be surprised if BOTH Carter and Anderson make the roster week 1

1 could make it,both may not but I wouldn't expect both to make it.

Moore looked good in limited action in 2010 and is likely to stick IMO and Cunningham is a sure fire lock in only his 2nd year

I agree with you. I think all 4 could make the team. Not a lock yet, but definitely could happen.

Because Cunningham can play OLB in the 3-4 I could see keeping these 4 + S Ellis.

Well here's my problem. Those 4 all project as 4-3 DEs or 3-4 OLBs. Also included in the 4-3 DEs is Shaun Ellis (43DE/34DE). Also included in the 3-4 OLBs in Ninkovich (34OLB/43OLB). So either way, there are 5 guys at the same position fighting for playing time, and I don't see Moore as the better early down starter (Ellis and Carter at 4-3 DE, Cunningham and Ninkovich at 3-4 OLB), or as a better 4-man line subpackage guy (Anderson and Carter/Cunningham).

I also think people are underrating Andre Carter a lot. Yes, Moore looked good in limited time last season. But Carter has been doing that for 10 years. He's started 134 games and had tons of success as a 4-3 DE. I'll be shocked if he doesn't start, and it sounds like he's had a very good camp so far.

I watched Markell Carter in practice today. I think he has a lot of upside but looked a bit tentative out there. It would be great if he could land on the PS and get some experience.

Carter played a little against Jax didn't do much.

I see the D as (using 4-3 positions)

(5) DE Ellis, Carter, Moore, Cunningham, Anderson

(5) DT Wilfork, Haynesworth, Wright, Love Warren

(6) LB Mayo Spikes, Ninko, Fletcher White Guyton

(4) CB McCourty, Bodden, Arrington Dowling

(4) S Merriwether, Chung, Sanders, Brown

+ 1 more DB making 25 players what is around what they ussually have on D.

Keeping all the guys I listed as DE if they are healthy and playing will be possible.

Keeping all the guys I listed as DE if they are healthy and playing will be possible.

I still not convinced that Meriweather is making this team. I would have Butler in the last DB slot, especially after the poor play bt Wilhite of special teams. If Butler can show anything of KO returns, that will solidify his spot.

Interesting the Pats are brining in Darren Sharoer and Renaldo Hill for a tryout.

That's exactly what I have (Butler is the DB), but without Moore and with an extra offensive player. Can't keep a 3rd QB, a 5th RB, a 3rd TE, and a 7th WR without giving up spots on defense.

Oh yeah, and take out Meriweather and add Hill.

Last edited:
I still not convinced that Meriweather is making this team. I would have Butler in the last DB slot, especially after the poor play bt Wilhite of special teams. If Butler can show anything of KO returns, that will solidify his spot.

Interesting the Pats are brining in Darren Sharoer and Renaldo Hill for a tryout.

About as interesting as them bringing in Matt Roth and Raheem Brock.

We can all quibble about particular names (I think Brown will be upgraded, for example, and White is in a competition for his role), but basically I think you're spot on. Whichever of Pryor, Richard, or Warren don't make it will be tough cuts, but we can use as many guys or more at DE/OLB as at DT/sometime 3-4 DE.

Offense: 3 QB, 4 RB, 3 TE, 6 WR, 9 OL -- yep, they can restrict themselves to 25 as well, with Faulk on PUP as a reserve.

I also think people are underrating Andre Carter a lot. Yes, Moore looked good in limited time last season. But Carter has been doing that for 10 years. He's started 134 games and had tons of success as a 4-3 DE. I'll be shocked if he doesn't start, and it sounds like he's had a very good camp so far.

All the camp reports I read said A. Carter is abusing whoever he lines up against in the 1:1s. I really liked the one where it said he 'HEAD BUTTED SOLDER - and then WENT RIGHT PAST HIM'

so I was wondering why so many were listing him on the bubble group.

That's exactly what I have (Butler is the DB), but without Moore and with an extra offensive player. Can't keep a 3rd QB, a 5th RB, a 3rd TE, and a 7th WR without giving up spots on defense.

Oh yeah, and take out Meriweather and add Hill.

I assume you think Merriwether is going to be traded not cut. If so for what ?

I don't want to be one of these stupid fans that suggest unrealistic stupid trades, but the Eagles wanted Merriwether coming out of the draft (I believe we picked at 24 and they were at 25 and would have taken him) They are a little short at S and obviously have a history of maiking trades with us.

I don't think it's likely and we probably don't have the cap room, but I'd love to get Samuel back.

Just for the record I think Merriwether stays and isn't resigned next year. I think the Sharper/Hill thing has more to do with Sanders' health and McGowan getting cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back