PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Schlereth should be GONE off the air for his reporting [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that of all the former NFL players and coaches discussing "Cameragate" on ESPN, by far the most hawkish is Mark Schlereth?

Most former players have at least alluded to the fact that this kind of stuff goes on all the time, it's part of the game, a lot of teams do it, etc. etc. But Schlereth is denouncing the Pats and explaining just how stealing the defensive signals can be used to tell the offense what the defense is going to do, while they are standing at the line of scrimmage about to snap the ball.

First of all, I don't believe it. IF a cameraman can pick up a coaches signals, he would still have to signal them to his team's coaches who would then have to signal the QB through the radio, who would then have to change the play - all in the 10 seconds or so it takes the team to snap the ball after they come to the line of scrimmage, and of course the defense could still be changing their coverage as they react to the formation.

But that's not really my main point - it is this: has Schlereth forgotten that his two Super Bowl rings with the Broncos are tainted by the NFL's finding that his team cheated on the salary cap? He has conveniently neglected to mention that.

Re: Breaking news: Kettle called pot black

Shhh.

Logic has no place here.
We only need lunacy at this point.

The holier than thou bullsh!t is sickening. We've stolen signs ? Too f*cking bad - we've had signs stolen too. All these jerks should STFU. As I've said elsewhere, as long as 1) we don't lose a #1 pick and 2) this doesn't cause Belichick to leave, it'll pass.

Has anyone noticed that of all the former NFL players and coaches discussing "Cameragate" on ESPN, by far the most hawkish is Mark Schlereth?

Most former players have at least alluded to the fact that this kind of stuff goes on all the time, it's part of the game, a lot of teams do it, etc. etc. But Schlereth is denouncing the Pats and explaining just how stealing the defensive signals can be used to tell the offense what the defense is going to do, while they are standing at the line of scrimmage about to snap the ball.

First of all, I don't believe it. IF a cameraman can pick up a coaches signals, he would still have to signal them to his team's coaches who would then have to signal the QB through the radio, who would then have to change the play - all in the 10 seconds or so it takes the team to snap the ball after they come to the line of scrimmage, and of course the defense could still be changing their coverage as they react to the formation.

But that's not really my main point - it is this: has Schlereth forgotten that his two Super Bowl rings with the Broncos are tainted by the NFL's finding that his team cheated on the salary cap? He has conveniently neglected to mention that.

I believe Schereth said the information is evaluated at halftime.

Re: Breaking news: Kettle (Schlereth) called pot black

he just said on nfl live that the pats should be made to forfeit the game and its no different than hgh or steriods

Almost every dynasty has the allegations of cheating against them. The 49ers had chop blocking, the Giants had steroids, and the Cowboys and Broncos had the salary cap. Now the Patriots have this, which I don't think is particularly bad compared to some of those.

Mark Schlereth should be GONE off the air for his reporting

Sorry... but having seen him report on the Patriot's spying sitiation, I think if he was reporting about anything but football, he would have been laughed off teh air. I have to wonder if..he wss being serious about what he said..and he's a complete idiot OR that he's just going to talk and expect people to believe his tripe. .
He went on and on about how the Patriot's cheated by video taping..teh only problem was it had NOTHING to do with the logistics of what ACTUALLY happened. He claimed that the team could be looking at the video and undesrtanding this and that...BUT teh only problem is is that how can they ve supposedly looking at a video tape when the tape is with the cameraman on the other side of the field. Huh?? And how can one be taking video and looking at it at the same time. In Mark's simpleton world the details don't matter..that this would be impossible logistically goes by the board. It's nice fiction and makes a good story..but when one looks at what PFT said about how difficult this would have been and listens to windbag Schlereth state things that are impossible, one knows he has a big ax to grind..or maybe he;s had too many bumps on the head. In any event, someone should call him on it, for if this was anything but sports, he would be gone.

Last edited:
Re: Mark Schlereth should be GONE off the air for his reporting

MODS pleas merge...I was writing that for awhile as the thread apperaed..Thx..

according to schelerth
offensive players get polaroids of pre snap and post snap formations ..so during the 2nd quarter or halftime ..these can be matched with the defensive signals recorded in the video camera. ..not sure how it can happen so quickly.
Wouldnt it be easier if a guy just holds a clip board with binocolurs and writes it down as supposed to a video tape which has to looked through in a 15 min halftime or 5 min quarter changes ??
My take..all this tape business was done for historical purposes ..for BB to pour over it later point of time when it could useful..still not legal but no way it helps in the same game IMO

Do you think that camera man stayed on the field at half time? My guess is he went straight to the Pats lockerroom and gave the tapes to Belichick. This is a disgrace to the game IMO and if the Pats don't either forfeit the win or lose a first round pick, it's ridiculous.

This is cheating, plain and simple. How can you condone this in any way shape or form.

Do you think that camera man stayed on the field at half time? My guess is he went straight to the Pats lockerroom and gave the tapes to Belichick. This is a disgrace to the game IMO and if the Pats don't either forfeit the win or lose a first round pick, it's ridiculous.

This is cheating, plain and simple. How can you condone this in any way shape or form.

I'll tell you right now, that actually writing down the signals on a piece of paper is FAR more effective at breaking them down than what you are suggesting is being done with the videotape. it would be impossible to break down 30 minutes of football plays, nevermind cracking a signal code, and then deceminating the information to players in 12 minutes. so again, i ask "where is the competitive advantage of videotaping the signals versus all of the legal ways of recording them?

Edit: And there is a reason they are always showing Peyton Manning (genius that he is) on the sidelines looking at the vid caps of the formations -- it's more effective because video takes too long!

Last edited:

he just said on nfl live that the pats should be made to forfeit the game and its no different than hgh or steriods

and.. that the 3 SB rings are tarnished.....

Covert ops not new in the NFL

By Albert Breer/Daily News Staff
GHS
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:08 AM EST

Foxboro - FOXBORO - The KGB's got nothing on these guys.

The CIA? Child's play.

Really, there's no line drawn in the sand for NFL coaches to cross or violate. Everything's fair game.

So when the story broke that the Dolphins had stolen protection calls from the Patriots, and siphoned five sacks off that information, the outrage over it was altogether laughable. The only thing anyone really could be mad about, at all, was that Miami went public with it after its 21-0 pasting of New England.

Everyone does it. It being stealing signals, anticipating cadences and even trying to read what an opposing coach is saying.

"Anybody would try to get an edge," Texans defensive end Mario Williams said yesterday. "Even if it's having a scout out there, listening to things that are happening, I'm sure it happens all across the league."

Ever wonder about the level of paranoia that permeates the league?

This is why.

Back in the late 1990s the Broncos were known to have hired lip readers, who would sit atop the field with binoculars and try to pick up the words of opposing coaches as plays were called. That's the reason coaches now cover their mouths with playsheets as they send those calls in.

And it hardly stops there.

Coaches teach tendencies down to the most minute detail, and that's nothing new. In the mid-1960s, there was a game where the Chiefs looked for the tension in Patriots fullback Jim Nance's knuckles as he settled into a three-point stance to determine whether Boston was going pass or run, and blew up the offense as a result.

"It's keys," said Patriot defensive end Ty Warren, "and hints in there where some guys might know things prior to them happening."

Of course, those are more effective with each detail that comes across on the tape. So the assertion that the Dolphins knew protection calls, and resulting slides, or the cadence to time up their pass rush, is hardly absurd.

"There's not a team in the league that doesn't study cadences," said Texans coach Gary Kubiak. "Especially in your division, you play each other twice a year, you're hearing that cadence all the time. And you're studying offensive line and defensive play, just cadence-wise, trying to helping your team be the first one off the ball or diagnose what's going on. ... I think any coach would tell you that's a big part of football."

Yet when questioned on the Miami situation yesterday, Bill Belichick denied seeing anything out of the ordinary.

Maybe that's because all of this, like Kubiak said, really isn't out of the ordinary. Or maybe it's because the ultra-prepared Belichick Patriots are Exhibit A of it happening.

"They're the best at studying other teams and stealing signals from the sideline," Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas told Miami reporters yesterday, after saying his team did nothing innovative in prepping for the Patriots. "It's just part of the league. Everybody's going to try and get an edge somehow."

That, in the end, is what it's all about.

So if you're going to nail the Dolphins on anything, do it for fostering a perception that New England got outsmarted on the field. That's certainly what Tom Brady did yesterday.

"They can say that, but I think it's a big crock of you-know-what," he said. "I think it's a matter of how we played. If you ask them, it probably sounds good for them to say that they have it all figured out. But, you know, they're 6-7 and we're 9-4, so you tell me who's got it more figured out."

Truth is, no one has really nailed down what the other team's doing.

Which is why there are no bounds to what these guys will do to find out.

(Albert Breer is a Daily News staff writer. He can be reached at [email protected] or 508-626-3872.)

Hey, if the Patriots were so good at stealing signs, I think we should find ways that we as fans can help the Pats continue to do this.

BB, if your listening, I'll volunteer to film all games for free if you can get me tickets!:D

Covert ops not new in the NFL

By Albert Breer/Daily News Staff
GHS
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:08 AM EST

Wow, what a great find. That article makes all this outrage seems so ridiculous, especially from a former Bronco like Schlereth.

Very easy my misinformed fan of a lousy team. Every team does this stuff and that's a fact numerous players have validated the last couple of days.

I guarantee on the live of those near & dear to you that the Patriots will not have to forfeit sundays game...honestly, that's just plain STUPID talk!:rolleyes:

I really hate the Patriots, and love any mud that is slung their way, because I'm a huge troll and my jealousy runs very, very deep. It delights me to no end that something bad could happen to the Patriots, even though the crappy team I root for did something extremely similar a few years ago in a win I crowed about endlessly despite the fact that my team went absolutely nowhere and the Patriots won the Superbowl, and I will take every advantage of this opportunity to feign indignation and outrage to rub it in as much as I can.

There, fixed that for you.

iam still wondering all the hits brady took last yr. the SD game shouldnt have been this difficult if going by all these theories is true.

Mark Schlereth?
is that the dude with the goatie?

He played in the NFL?

Dont remember his *****

Wow, what a great find. That article makes all this outrage seems so ridiculous, especially from a former Bronco like Schlereth.

I think it's hilarious, in light of all the indignant BS coming from some of these talking heads...This was a non-issue a freaking year ago. It's simply so now because the Pats are so good, the other organizations are tired off it and they can see the writing on the wall for this season.

And the Pats still beat the Chargers by 2 TD's this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes