PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Ingram runs a 4.62 at combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree to an extent. There is value in the numbers. The key thing is to look at the ones that matter. As others have said the main job of a running back is to move the chains. For me the keys for a back are their speed over the first 5-10 yards, making people miss, shedding tackles etc. 40 speed is nice but not essential for a back.

Nicely put, sir.

Me, I don't give a rat's @$$ about 40 Times: When I'm evaluating RB's, I'm looking at 10 Yards Splits, 3 Cone Drills, Vertical, et cetera: Things that point towards his Agility, Fluidity, Lateral Velocity, and Ramming Speed!! :D

Focusing on a running back's 40-time is almost (not exactly) as silly as looking at the 40-time for an inside linebacker. What good is a 40-time if you're super fast but have no vision (Laurence Maroney), compared to someone slow but is a grinder (BJGE). David Harris and Brandon Spikes are pure football players who excel in that 20 yard box of space where they mostly play. Who cares that their 40 times were terrible. The same goes for running backs. Sure it's sexy to have a guy who can break a big run once a game maybe, but that isn't even that valuable anymore when the passing rules make it so much easier to complete a medium pass. All you need now is a north-south running back who can get tough yards.

I heard Bill Walsh used to not even look at combine numbers. He created his own drills for each position, brought prospects in and put them through his drills, and that's how he figured out who to draft.

I think BB has shown he will take a RB in the first round, and he clearly values RBs if he paid Fred Taylor $3m/yr. I dont think top end speed means anything to a runner between the tackles. I think its great he has shown that he can carry the load and that he isnt totally overworked......That guy Todman has almost 600 carries in 2 years, not much left there at that rate. There are a finite number of carries in a RB after all. Ingram hits the hole faster than anyone, and he cuts well enough so that he can move around if the hole isnt there. He doesnt scamper to the sidelines and his feet have purpose. If we draft him I think we will like him.

Forget about it......Pats will NOT be taking a RB in the first round.....or 2nd either most likely....too many other glaring needs right now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back