PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Anderson Signs with the Bills for 4 Years, $27.5 million; $8 million guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mark Anderson Signs with the Bills for 4 Years, $27.5 million; $8 million guarant

tribalism itt

Re: Mark Anderson Signs with the Bills for 4 Years, $27.5 million; $8 million guarant

Until they show an ability to stop the run, they won't be a shut down defense.

You do realize the Bills Pro Bowl DT Kyle Williams was out pretty much the whole season with a foot injury, right? Marcell Dareus was the only player on that D-Line that gave the opposing offense ANY sort of pressure due to Williams injury. Hell, I think 10 of our 26 sacks last year was in one game (Washington).

Now, they have a DE in Mario Williams that averages 0.73 sacks per game in his CAREER, he had 5 sacks in 5 games last year, and they signed another that had 10 sacks in the regular season, 12.5 sacks including the playoffs.

This is nothing but good things. The D-Line is now set, and is probably one of the top 5 best D-Lines in the NFL. This leaves the Linebackers and the DB's. Byrd is already set as our FS, and George Wilson is our SS. Sheppard is our MLB, and Merriman/Barnett are currently our OLB's. If they either go after Dre Kirkpatrick, then Merriman will be the starting OLB. If they go Courtney Upshaw at #10, Merriman will be our situational pass rusher, and we'll have two extremely athletic and talented OLB's in Upshaw and Barnett, which means we really don't need a shut down corner. Especially considering there really isn't big receivers that I am overly threatened by in the division (by Big, I mean receivers that are pretty much impossible to go up against in a jump ball). As for Brandon Lloyd, this is his 6th team since 2005. He's a decent receiver, but not a great receiver.

How are they front runners when they haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years and are top of the league each and every year in attendance?

You want to know what front runners are? Not knowing you had a hockey team until the Eastern Conference Finals last year. There isn't much basketball talk outside of when Rondo was supposed to get traded, I wonder why? *cough* 20-17 *cough*

I dont watch Hockey so that comment means nothing to me.

and if you read the post you would see that I said "confused front runners because they've never actually been in front"

The Bills have Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams and Mark Anderson on their D-line...

And yet I am still more terrified of Aaron Schobel, by himself.

Actually, the rumor has it that Schobel is interested in coming out of retirement.

Also, I wanted to clear something. There are not a ton of posts on Bills forums saying that we think we're going to win the division this year. We're just happy to be relevent again. While I think we could win the division, most of us feel that the Pats are still the clear favorites in the division right now.

I like Anderson, but I think we did overpay for him. However, we had so much cap space for the next two years that it doesn't really matter though.

Finally, for all the posters saying that the run stopping is still weak, please try to remember that last year we were playing without Kyle Williams, a pro bowl DT who's sole purpose is to stop the inside run. Also, Dareus was used as a DE in the 3-4 and will now be lined up next to Kyle at DT in the 4-3. You can only double team so many guys (can't double Kyle, Mario, and Marcell) which will leave Barnett and Sheppard free to make tackles all over the field. I pray it is BB's gameplan to run on us next year. Anything to get the ball out of pretty boy's hands is fine with me.

Good luck next year, the Jets blow.

Really? See you spew more crap here. We have been bad for 12 years genius. Yet they still sell out games and the fans keep coming. God forbid we are excited over the fact we may finally have a GM who is committed to winning and understands how to staff a team...

I will not disparage the rest of the Pats fans here who show class by returning your insult. Suffice to say you are ignorant and clearly your posts are not meant to be constructive.

I'd keep responding, but after you lose 1 game you will never be seen on here again so why bother?

You do realize the Bills Pro Bowl DT Kyle Williams was out pretty much the whole season with a foot injury, right? Marcell Dareus was the only player on that D-Line that gave the opposing offense ANY sort of pressure due to Williams injury. Hell, I think 10 of our 26 sacks last year was in one game (Washington).

Now, they have a DE in Mario Williams that averages 0.73 sacks per game in his CAREER, he had 5 sacks in 5 games last year, and they signed another that had 10 sacks in the regular season, 12.5 sacks including the playoffs.

This is nothing but good things. The D-Line is now set, and is probably one of the top 5 best D-Lines in the NFL. This leaves the Linebackers and the DB's. Byrd is already set as our FS, and George Wilson is our SS. Sheppard is our MLB, and Merriman/Barnett are currently our OLB's. If they either go after Dre Kirkpatrick, then Merriman will be the starting OLB. If they go Courtney Upshaw at #10, Merriman will be our situational pass rusher, and we'll have two extremely athletic and talented OLB's in Upshaw and Barnett, which means we really don't need a shut down corner. Especially considering there really isn't big receivers that I am overly threatened by in the division (by Big, I mean receivers that are pretty much impossible to go up against in a jump ball). As for Brandon Lloyd, this is his 6th team since 2005. He's a decent receiver, but not a great receiver.

Not sure why you're citing sack stats when I'm talking about stopping the run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kyle Williams play 16 games in 2010? The same year when you the worst run defense in the league?

Your DL is good, but your linebackers (Merriman blows), corners, and safeties aren't anything particularly noteworthy. Of course, a monster pass rush can cover up deficiencies elsewhere, and for that reason I expect the Bills to finish second in the division (that, and the fact that the Dolphins and Jets are going backwards).

Good luck to him in 14 of the 16 games. He got a better deal than the Patriots should have offered him, so good for him.

How are they front runners when they haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years and are top of the league each and every year in attendance?

You want to know what front runners are? Not knowing you had a hockey team until the Eastern Conference Finals last year. There isn't much basketball talk outside of when Rondo was supposed to get traded, I wonder why? *cough* 20-17 *cough*

This is probably hard for you to understand, since the concept of having multiple pro teams in your city is completely foreign to you, but on Patriots forums went tend to talk about the Patriots. If you want to see basketball talk, maybe go check out a Celtics forum sometime. Just a thought, Einstein.

Last edited:

Well, first let me introduce myself as a Bills fan (yes, some of us sneak around on YOUR boards too mwa haha)

Most level headed Bills fans would not even dream of making this claim, and so I would have to disagree with you on this one. The words of a few over-excited fans on a message board do not represent the community as a whole.
Do these signings make our team better? Yes, of course they do. But I think most of us are still quite aware of the fact that the Patriots just represented the AFC in the Super Bowl while we managed to blow a great start to the season to end up 6-10. The optimist in me sees us making a run at the Wild Card spot, and even this might be a stretch. I hope to be proven wrong of course but there are still some holes on this team (LT to name one) and some work to be done before we come anywhere near taking the division from the cold dark clutches of your evil Patriots. I actually have a lot of respect for the Patriot organization and the team in general. No respect for the Dolphins what so ever.

Anyway, just thought I would drop my two cents in and let you guys know that not ALL Bills fans have lost their heads over Williams and Anderson but you have to cut us some slack, we aren't used to ole' Ralphie loosening his purse straps and we are easily excited considering the longest running playoff drought we have been in. Most of us thought April Fools came early when Mario signed. Still GO BILLS! Looking forward to a couple of hard fought contests against the class of the division this year.

:bricks: Well, I guess I don't have a huge problem with this. Since I do have respect for the Bills unlike OTHER afc east teams... well I guess maybe we resign Carter??

What? Why?

Do you have any idea what kind of crap those hillbillies use spew when Kelly and Co. were around?

Then again... i have a hard time letting go of all this hate I carry around. So maybe im alone. #shrugs

Well, first let me introduce myself as a Bills fan (yes, some of us sneak around on YOUR boards too mwa haha)

Most level headed Bills fans would not even dream of making this claim, and so I would have to disagree with you on this one. The words of a few over-excited fans on a message board do not represent the community as a whole.
Do these signings make our team better? Yes, of course they do. But I think most of us are still quite aware of the fact that the Patriots just represented the AFC in the Super Bowl while we managed to blow a great start to the season to end up 6-10. The optimist in me sees us making a run at the Wild Card spot, and even this might be a stretch. I hope to be proven wrong of course but there are still some holes on this team (LT to name one) and some work to be done before we come anywhere near taking the division from the cold dark clutches of your evil Patriots. I actually have a lot of respect for the Patriot organization and the team in general. No respect for the Dolphins what so ever.

Anyway, just thought I would drop my two cents in and let you guys know that not ALL Bills fans have lost their heads over Williams and Anderson but you have to cut us some slack, we aren't used to ole' Ralphie loosening his purse straps and we are easily excited considering the longest running playoff drought we have been in. Most of us thought April Fools came early when Mario signed. Still GO BILLS! Looking forward to a couple of hard fought contests against the class of the division this year.

:welcome:.

Not sure why you're citing sack stats when I'm talking about stopping the run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kyle Williams play 16 games in 2010? The same year when you the worst run defense in the league?

Your DL is good, but your linebackers (Merriman blows), corners, and safeties aren't anything particularly noteworthy. Of course, a monster pass rush can cover up deficiencies elsewhere, and for that reason I expect the Bills to finish second in the division (that, and the fact that the Dolphins and Jets are going backwards).

Alright, "Einstein." Let me shed some light into you. I'm sure you don't know much about defense, because it was evident that you had no defense last year to learn about. If Golden Boy got hurt, the team would have been a .500 team. If you run a 4-3 defense, and your front line consists of Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus on the inside, and Mario Williams and Mark Anderson on the edges, it causes a lot of problems for your running game. Teams have to double team both Williams and Dareus by themselves, unless you have an elite LT or an Elite Guard, which only a handful of teams have (yes, New England have Mankins). That leaves 6 people having to block for 3 players, and 4 of those blockers are on the inside blocking 2 people. Do you think a RB is going to be able to run in the middle with 4 O-Lineman blocking 2 guys, and a MLB untouched? How about the outside, where you have to have a speedy back (which NE doesn't have) to outrun an instinctive Barnett (you know, he got 6 solo tackles, 11 total in the game we beat you guys in week 3), or Merriman who did look great until his Achilles went out on him again.

What? Why?

Do you have any idea what kind of crap those hillbillies use spew when Kelly and Co. were around?

Then again... i have a hard time letting go of all this hate I carry around. So maybe im alone. #shrugs

No, they don't. Because like 95% of the Patriots "fans," started rooting for the team in 2001.

Last edited:

Apparently all teams will be helpless against the Bills' mighty defense.

Man, I can't freaking wait for September.

No, they don't. Because like 95% of the Patriots "fans," started rooting for the team in 2001.

95% of the posters on this board were die hards when the team was 1-15, a lot of us way before that.

Apparently all teams will be helpless against the Bills' mighty defense.

Man, I can't freaking wait for September.

I admire SuperMario's exuberance about the recent personnel changes with the Bills, and feeling the need to make it known on a Patriots board. It's a tad premature seeing as his team, as presently constituted, has yet to play a down, but I'm encouraged to see Bills fans having turned from frowns to smiles overnight.

Should make for some interesting games in the coming season.

xlarge_untitled-3_02.jpg

-Jamman

Last edited:

Alright, "Einstein." Let me shed some light into you. I'm sure you don't know much about defense, because it was evident that you had no defense last year to learn about. If Golden Boy got hurt, the team would have been a .500 team. If you run a 4-3 defense, and your front line consists of Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus on the inside, and Mario Williams and Mark Anderson on the edges, it causes a lot of problems for your running game. Teams have to double team both Williams and Dareus by themselves, unless you have an elite LT or an Elite Guard, which only a handful of teams have (yes, New England have Mankins). That leaves 6 people having to block for 3 players, and 4 of those blockers are on the inside blocking 2 people. Do you think a RB is going to be able to run in the middle with 4 O-Lineman blocking 2 guys, and a MLB untouched? How about the outside, where you have to have a speedy back (which NE doesn't have) to outrun an instinctive Barnett (you know, he got 6 solo tackles, 11 total in the game we beat you guys in week 3), or Merriman who did look great until his Achilles went out on him again.

Anderson is lousy against the run so you probably shouldn't be tossing out the "Einstein" line and then noting him when talking about runstopping. As for Dareus:

The frustrating thing about Dareus is that he's flip-flopped between brilliant and non-existent this season. That's not even necessarily a bad thing for a rookie to be, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. He was dominant for entire games (against the terrible lines of Washington, San Diego) and flashed dominance in others (NY Giants), but was completely handled in other games. The flashes of dominance are encouraging, and in answering the question, I've said that Bills fans are largely hitching their hopes to those flashes.

A Few Thoughts On Buffalo Bills DT Marcell Dareus - Buffalo Rumblings

Dareus has an impressive record against New England: two games, one tackle, one assist, no sacks, no run stuffs, limited gap control. In the two games combined Dareus led a tremendous Bills defense that held New England and Tom Brady to slightly under 1,000 yards.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/895052-bills-dareus-says-brady-whines-officials-page2.html#post2945058

And Merriman has been crap since day 1 in Buffalo.

So you came here during the offseason just to troll? If that's the case, you'll be gone soon enough.

95% of the posters on this board were die hards when the team was 1-15, a lot of us way before that.

95%? Really?

So 95% of the folks on this board supported the "we'll move to Hartford" threats? Remember who the owner was then?

Come on man, call a spade a spade.

Look, the Pats are the class of the AFCE and have been for years, there's no disputing that. Five SBs in 11 years is amazing, and NE fans should be proud of the team's many accomplishments since 2001.

However, let's not pretend that before Bill Parcells arrived an opposing fan could not walk up to the box office on game day and buy a choice seat and be surrounded by fans of his own team.

The point?

If a team with the Pats' history can have a run of success like we have seen this decade, then any team in the NFL can do the same. With the right mix of ownership, coaching, and hitting big on a 6th round draft pick, a team can work wonders.

There is nothing magical about their formula other than having a quality owner and a good coach. Drop the pretense that I couldn't go to the old Erector Set with my Thurman Thomas jersey on, fry wings and drink Labatt's Blue in the parking lot all morning without a ticket, and walk up to the box office ten minutes before game time and sit it the lower bowl.

Last edited:

I admire SuperMario's exuberance about the recent personnel changes with the Bills, and feeling the need to make it known on a Patriots board. It's a tad premature seeing as his team, as presently constituted, has yet to play a down, but I'm encouraged to see Bills fans having turned from frowns to smiles overnight.

Should make for some interesting games in the coming season.

xlarge_untitled-3_02.jpg

-Jamman

Could not agree more. It's great to be excited, and it's fun to bandy about with opposing fans, but what if in game 1 the Bills record 0-1 sacks and give up 175 yds rushing?

I want to see it on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing