PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Anderson.. better value than Lawson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I am sure this might raise the ire of some of you Manny Lawson fans out there. But I was looking at Mark Anderson and he seems like he might be better value as a 3-4 OLB. I am using the info from the NFL.com reporting:

Anderson: 6'4.25" - 254 lbs, 42" vertical, 10'7" broad jump, 40 yrd - 4.61, 3 cone - 6.95, short shuttle - 4.22, long shuttle of 11.75

Lawson: 6'5.375" - 241 lbs, 39.5" vertical, 10'4" broad jump, 40 yard - 4.43, 3 cone - 6.90, short shuttle - 4.18, long shuttle, 11.08

Looking at the two, I would be happy with either one. Anderson was rated to be a solid 3rd rounder while Lawson has been rocketing up the charts and is being talked about as a late 1st rounder. I think that if the Pats can get Anderson in the second round, they will be happy.

I'd be interested in hearing from BOR on if he's watched Anderson play at all. Anderson got a stellar review from NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com regarding his play at the Senior Bowl.

I was wondering about this guy. He's certainly a workout warrior. I saw Alabama twice this year, and his name doesn't ring a bell. I don't even recall hearing much about him before the combine. What's his story?

dryheat44 said:
I was wondering about this guy. He's certainly a workout warrior. I saw Alabama twice this year, and his name doesn't ring a bell. I don't even recall hearing much about him before the combine. What's his story?

Started the last 2 years at Alabama. in 2004, had 41 tackles. 11 of which were tackles for losses. Had 1.5 sacks and 8 QB pressures. Had 2 forced forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries and 2 passes defended.

In 2005, he had 7.5 sacks, 40 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 7 QB pressures, 1 forced fumble and a blocked kick.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=30437

DB,

LGP and I discussed Anderson in this thread and in his article. I believe patchick also had some thoughts on him in another thread, possibly one of the 3-4 OLB discussions. I'd be hesitant to move him out of the 3rd round given that while playing in the SEC (NFL minor league :rolleyes: ) he didn't make too many radar screens before the Senior Bowl; on the other hand, he did score an invite to the Senior Bowl so somebody must have noticed him.

Here's the most consolidated OLB thread, Anderson gets a mention in patchick's list, but I recall the two of us having a brief exchange about his Senior Bowl, I just don't know which thread to look in.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=30795

At this point I still like Lawson as the tall OLB with the most upside, but I think Anderson is an acceptable option along with Wyche of Syracuse. I believe either could be developed to play a game similar to Vrables. I'm still interested in the potential of Federkiel of Calgary to be groomed for Willie's strong side role and I love the idea of locking Gocong in a tape room with Bruschi. With the DEs in this draft, I haven't been able to work up much love for 'true' LBs.

How does Lawson's numbers compare with Brandon Johnson of Louisville, who has played OLB. Granted Johnson needs to add about 30-40 lbs of muscle before he could start for the Pats, but that's OK, because he'd need 2-3 years of tutoring before he'd know his assignments well enough to get on the field.

Ochmed Jones said:
How does Lawson's numbers compare with Brandon Johnson of Louisville, who has played OLB. Granted Johnson needs to add about 30-40 lbs of muscle before he could start for the Pats, but that's OK, because he'd need 2-3 years of tutoring before he'd know his assignments well enough to get on the field.
I thought Anderson looked more athletic then Johnson, but he did catch my eye as a possibility, perhaps as a UDFA.

Anderson looked extremely athletic during the combine

the three guys who really caught my eye (i watched a couple of 'groups' of dl) were: parys harylson, dusty dvorcek, and anderson

whats funny is i look at mocks all the time (and many of them) and i saw that website's one a few days ago

it has us taking all three of those aforementioned guys

That's weird because I've watched Anderson play several times and I was not that impressed by him. I do admit that I never tried to porject him at OLB in a 3-4, I always considered him a 4-3 end once he added some strength and weight.

I thought Johnson would do well in the 40, however I thought he'd do extremely well in the agility tests. I didn't get to see the combine, so I'll wait for the results to get published.

Ochmed Jones said:
That's weird because I've watched Anderson play several times and I was not that impressed by him. I do admit that I never tried to porject him at OLB in a 3-4, I always considered him a 4-3 end once he added some strength and weight.

I thought Johnson would do well in the 40, however I thought he'd do extremely well in the agility tests. I didn't get to see the combine, so I'll wait for the results to get published.
I didn't get a negative impression from his statistics (posted in one of the other threads where his name has come up), but so far the only people who noticed him before the Senior Bowl are the ones who invited him.

DaBruinz said:
Ok, I am sure this might raise the ire of some of you Manny Lawson fans out there. But I was looking at Mark Anderson and he seems like he might be better value as a 3-4 OLB. I am using the info from the NFL.com reporting:

Anderson: 6'4.25" - 254 lbs, 42" vertical, 10'7" broad jump, 40 yrd - 4.61, 3 cone - 6.95, short shuttle - 4.22, long shuttle of 11.75

Lawson: 6'5.375" - 241 lbs, 39.5" vertical, 10'4" broad jump, 40 yard - 4.43, 3 cone - 6.90, short shuttle - 4.18, long shuttle, 11.08

Looking at the two, I would be happy with either one. Anderson was rated to be a solid 3rd rounder while Lawson has been rocketing up the charts and is being talked about as a late 1st rounder. I think that if the Pats can get Anderson in the second round, they will be happy.

I'd be interested in hearing from BOR on if he's watched Anderson play at all. Anderson got a stellar review from NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com regarding his play at the Senior Bowl.

You want my opinion? The OLB/DE/Elephant position is the touhgest position to fill on the 3-4, harder than NT,harder than ILB. You want the very best you can get there. Lawson or Carpenter are much better there than Anderson. But I think Carpenter will star at ILB and eventually be moved there. Plus he is merely better than Anderson as the DE/OLB/Elephant than Anderson will probably ever be.

But Lawson might, after a few years seasoning, be the second coming of Willie McGinnest and those don't happen very often, at all. But its not a certainty, that's why he isn't projected as the #4 pick in the draft llike Willie was originally. He could fail,but I don't think so.

I'm torn between certainty with Carpenter as a star, and the possibility of true greatness with Lawson. Anderson isn't in the same realm of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes