PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mario Williams; and his Statistics. hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Mario Williams gets a lot of credit for being a pass rushing DE. Here are his sack stats and total tackles. I understand sacks aren't everything but this seems to be what everyone focuses on when they talk about him. From what i've heard he's not much of a run stopper.
I didn't feel like searching for the records for 2003 and 2004, i am tired but i guess they are probably similar.

2003: 5 Sacks , 56 tackles

1 sack games: Wake Forest, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Kansas

2004: 6 Sacks, 57 tackles

1 sack games: East Carolina, UNC, Maryland
3 sack game: Florida St . --great game against a good team

2005: 14.5 Sacks, 62 tackles

1 sack games: UNC (4-4), Middle Tennessee State (4-7), South Florida (6-6)
3 sack games: Wake Forest (4-7), Southern Miss (7-5)
4 sack games: Maryland (5-6)
1 assisted Sack games: Florida state (8-5), Southern Miss (7-5)., South Florida (6-6)

I guess i was just expecting to see more coming from the #1 pick in the draft.
Was he overhyped? I feel like he was/is. The majority of his sacks were against mediocre/crappy teams which probably had Bad OLines.
Does he really deserve to be the number 1 pick? I do not think so. I would expect a little more against a little better competition for 9 million a year for 6 years. Lining up against Joe Blow from maryland is not the same as the tackles on the Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonvilile Jaguars, or Tennesse Titans.

I could very well be wrong.... But is he overrated??

Let me know what you think im interested in hearing other's opinions.

Actually your statistics are slightly wrong. They are even more damning.
Against BC, FSU, and Clemson, the best teams on NCState's schedule, M. Williams' stats combined were 11 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and 1/2 sack with 0 passes broken up.
Against Southern Miss (Conference USA), South Florida (First year in Big East), and Wake Forest M. Williams combined for 20 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss, and 9 sacks. Hmmmm....;)

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Actually your statistics are slightly wrong. They are even more damning.
Against BC, FSU, and Clemson, the best teams on NCState's schedule, M. Williams' stats combined were 11 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and 1/2 sack with 0 passes broken up.
Against Southern Miss (Conference USA), South Florida (First year in Big East), and Wake Forest M. Williams combined for 20 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss, and 11 sacks. Hmmmm....;)

sorry if it was misleading, im tired, still working my overnight shift so my brain isn't quite normal right now.

But yeah he seems like a terrible first pick. Too much hype. They are going to regret this. It seems like you take any first rounder, then if they happen to run a great 40 and have a good vertical all of a sudden they are in the top 5. What a bunch of garbage.

im glad it is like this tho..... lets players fall to the pats.

Keegs said:
sorry if it was misleading, im tired, still working my overnight shift so my brain isn't quite normal right now.

But yeah he seems like a terrible first pick. Too much hype. They are going to regret this. It seems like you take any first rounder, then if they happen to run a great 40 and have a good vertical all of a sudden they are in the top 5. What a bunch of garbage.

im glad it is like this tho..... lets players fall to the pats.

Great job for pointing this out. My take: Mario Williams has the potential to be an All-pro. He is a physical marvel who had very good college statistics. But he has a questionable motor which does not bode well for the NFL. He is a boom or bust prospect, whereas barring injury Reggie Bush IMO is a sure thing as a RB, Tony Dorsett style. The Texans thought they were making a safe pick with their money, but actually they took the bigger risk. Williams is no Peppers.

I'm always skeptical when a guy makes a big jump AFTER the games are through being played. No one thought of him as the #1 pick after seeing him play during his college career - he was in the 4/5/6 range.

Obviously his workouts were off the charts to move up those few spots but I just question why if this guy is a #1 overall DE no one seemed to think so after watching him actually play the game.

yeah i want to watch Marios videos again and see how many of them involve him and Manny rushing against a crappy Oline from some 4 and 7 school that just clearly doesn't have a talented line.

I bet there's a lot of that.

The Texans picked him ... anymore need to be said? :)

At the same time most on here could make the same argument for Bush who benefitted from having a great offensive line, a heisman winning QB and another power runner behind him to be used on short yardage situations.

Also note Reggie Bush only carried the ball more than 20 times in only a few games of his career.

Whoever you took at one was going to be a questionable pick in some peoples minds.

BTW Julius Peppers didnt look amazing coming out of college either and neither did our own Richard Seymour. They both had very low stats but they needed at least double blocking to hold them back and they still made plays just like Mario Williams.

Statistically, Peppers was the most productive college DE since 2000. Seymour played Defensive Tackle, so his statistics weren't really comparable.That being said, your point couldn't be more valid; everyone has a blemish... But some blemishes seem worse than others, and an inconsistent motor is not encouraging for a #1 pick...

yeah i heard he's pretty badass when facing Duke's offensive line.

Keep in mind that Mario played with Lawson, McCargo, Hoyte, Hudson, Davis, Tulloch, Pressley, Tyler and another solid DB, whose name escapes me at the moment. That's 4 more that'll get drafted this year and 4 or 5 more next year. That was one hell of a defense and if their offense wasn't so pathetic, they would have been even more impressive. So Mario had a NFL caliber defense around him and wasn't always the focal point of other teams. I don't think he's a better player than Bush. I even think D'Brick will be a better Pro.

borisman said:
Keep in mind that Mario played with Lawson, McCargo, Hoyte, Hudson, Davis, Tulloch, Pressley, Tyler and another solid DB, whose name escapes me at the moment. That's 4 more that'll get drafted this year and 4 or 5 more next year. That was one hell of a defense and if their offense wasn't so pathetic, they would have been even more impressive. So Mario had a NFL caliber defense around him and wasn't always the focal point of other teams. I don't think he's a better player than Bush. I even think D'Brick will be a better Pro.

What's amazing is that you hear people saying "Lawson got his stats because Mario was double teamed". That's not the case. Mario was single teamed most of the year. In fact Kiwanuka faced double teams much more frequently than Mario.

this is hilarious.

politics and finances aside (and signability was absolutely a factor -- if you're a Bush fan, you should blame Seagal every bit as much as Casserly/Kubiak)

are the comparisons to HoFers like Reggie White and Deacon Jones overblown...until he does something in this league to prove otherwise, absolutely.

Is there a ton of hype on Bush too? ABSOLUTELY. we can compare stats here but Bush isn't getting 190 yards a game in Houston...the reality is he'll be doing well to average 85 yards a game down there. I'm sick of hearing people say Bush can do everything -- what about pass protection? sorry, he's lousy at blitz pickup -- how does that fit the reality of their team needs? once in a generation player? archie griffin didn't lose a heisman to matt freakin leinart.

Is Williams a better fit for their team? I don't see how not.

If they were really smart, should they have passed on BOTH and traded down? perhaps.

Is Mario 6'7", 290, fast as lightning, and a guy every team has to account for on every play? absolutely.

Does the fact that Indy has to face MW instead of RB help little boy blue sleep any easier at night?...don't bet on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back