Welcome to PatsFans.com

Marines Attacked

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mtbykr, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

http://www.moveamericaforward.org/index.php/MAF/MAFNews

Unfreaking believeable!
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Good for them. Democracy in action.
  3. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A stuffy matron is with a new man in a top restaurant. The onion soup gets to her, and as the waiter is serving the main dishes she lets loose a bombastic fart. Trying to save face, she says to the waiter, "Sir! Please stop that immediately."

"Certainly, madame," replies the waiter with a bow. "Which way was it headed?"
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

Hey, William Arkin, is that you? :rolleyes:

“It is disgraceful that in the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement, anti-military activists would attempt to silence the same military men and women who serve this country and give their lives to protect the free speech rights of all Americans, including these ungrateful and despicable people on the Berkeley City Council,” said Melanie Morgan, Chairman of Move America Forward.

Amen sister. Can I say amen in here? :D
  5. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Quick question: Why aren't you as scathing of a source like "moveamericaforward.com" as you are of an equivalent leftist source?

So anytime someone left-leaning on this site posts a source that you deem "liberal" you go all out to show the bias and discredit it, but here it's "Amen sister." Very credible.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

please... RW is one of our "moderate" righties... he's fair and balanced, and he never relies on biased news sources... :rolleyes:

biased being anything left of center...
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 1 / -9

Berkley
    Scumsucking vermin swine White Mother F-ckers.

Damn them to hell oh jesus almighty god smite the the filthy bastards to hell and damnation for all of eternity and beyond, christ remove their slimey bowels with the edge of thy sacred sword.

:bricks:
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Jesus would be an anti-war activist if he were around today ;)
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That website that posted the article is deifnitely coming from a political angle, but I can believe it. I haven't researched this particular topic, but this certainly sounds like something Berkely would do. Code Pink has a right to express their opinion, but I would hope that they would keep it civil and not vandalize. And if they did, I hope that they would be held accountable (which I doubt).

Wildo, great sig pic. St. Pierre is as natural an athlete as they come, and a great fighter. You train?
  10. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 1 / -9

They would of killed him again, his father moves in mysterious ways, I wonder why he put the
    "thought of war" in mans head then his son says it's wrong, when I see God I've got a lot of sh!t written down I want to ask him.

:bricks:
  12. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Or why he put the "thought of terrorism" in their heads. I wouldn't hold your breath, he doesn't exist. The universe is a random series of impersonal events.
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I can see where these people would get annoyed with the Marine recruiters. Perhaps they do not like that they offer their children a choice. Perhaps they believe that they have worked too hard to get their kid from point a to point b and now the Marines are messing up their plans for their kid.

I don't agree that a parent should do that. I have not done it with my kids. My son almost signed with the Marines ... and he still might, I told him he has to make a decision that is best for him.

Anyways ... I searched for more opinion on the story and there is not much to go on ... so I offer this opinion as to why I think they hate the Marines being there.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

What if they had voted to disallow tobacco solicitors or credit card companies from setting up shop everywhere? The only difference here is that it's the military recuiting and not another company. These people have every right to restrict the military from recruiting their children to die a war that's a lie.

Even if you agree with the war, or have nothing against your son joining the military, should this be a decision that is made at a recruitment table? What is the military afraid of? Do they need to talk kids into joining them at these recruitment tables? What's to stop someone who wants to join the military from joining? It's no secret what it's all about.

This to me is where "the troops want to fight for their country" notion falls apart. The sole purpose of these recruiters is to get young men who wouldn't otherwise join to join for a reason other than "patriotism." They offer them scholarships, and money, and incentives, and girls etc. as a way to entice them into a romanticized lifestyle that is anything but. They also discriminate against gays. I think anyone who believes in "family values" and "freedom" should support the idea of restricting predatory recruiters from setting up shop wherever they want to try and seduce their kids.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  15. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Was reported by the local paper and is a public meeting of the city council so I doubt it is right or left leaning or bias in this case.

"
    del.icio.usDiggRedditYahooMyWebGoogleFacebookWhat's this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RePrintPrint Email
    Berkeley council tells Marines to leave
    By Doug Oakley
    STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 01/30/2008 01:48:16 PM PST

Related Links
    Photoblog: Share your Berkeley photos and videos
    Forum: Discuss Berkeley news
    More Berkeley coverage
    Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
    That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 6-3 Tuesday night to tell the U.S. Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines because of the military's don't ask, don't tell policy. And it officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Councilman Gordon Wozniak opposed both items.

The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December of 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," said Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates after votes were cast.

A Marines representative did not respond to requests for comment."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8120433?source=rss
  16. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Have you ever even been in a recruiting office? I have and have no F'ing idea what you are talking about. You just made abunch of stuff up and threw it agains a wall. The military CAN be a positive influence on a person. Your really over the top.
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm guessing that the Marines just laugh at the fact that the Berkley people are ok with those 'wimps' from the Army, Navy and Air Force setting up shop in their town.

I spent a week or so replacing floors in a recruitment center in Waltham, MA. In that time I didn't hear a whole lot of enticing. What I heard was a whole lot of 'meet this standard or you aren't welcome.' Some of it was grades in school, most was about conditioning. I never once heard something I'd call a 'hard sell.'
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

First of all, I've read about what's been going on with recruiting offices in that area for some time now. This isn't something that just started yesterday. This has been oging on for months. We've actually this stuff many a time in here. So, with that in mind, the source here, for me anyway, really is irrelevent, since I'm not basing my views from it. Second, I only took a direct quote from the article. So if you said something and were directly quoted in the National Enquirer persay, what difference would it make who the source is, if it was your direct words? Lastly, my comments directed towards you were inlight of what I perceived to be, your agreement with the trashing of our military, through the guise of "democracy in action". Afterall, anyone who actually followed the history of this issue, would know that the office has been trashed and vandalized before.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No right-thinking adult is being coerced to do something he doesn't want to do by a recruiter. Any 18 year old who doesn't realize what they're in for joining the Marines today is so far out there or so stupid, that their parents should be thrown in prison for being negligent in their duty. I have no love for the Pentagon, but this is blaming the wrong people, IMO. Of course, the people of Berkley have every right to control their town with ordinances, but they can't arbitrarily pick and chose things because of political expedience...unless they have a rule that covers that.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

Another M&M who just can't get past the fact that some people in here actually do read about current events in the news, and can remember them. Maybe if you wandered away from ThinkProgressive for a few minutes a day, you'd have seen that the trashing of recruitment offices, and the push by some schools to remove recruiting, or ROTC offices from campuses, has been going on for some time now. However, let's disect the M&Mdom of your response. For some reason, the article is worthless because it comes from an obviously slanted site. Hmm....Now, I completely agree that the site is ultra biased. What you don't understand is that the principle information is not. Did the office get trashed? Yes. Did the city pass a resolution? Yes. Did I use a direct quote from a person, and not the slanted views of the website itself? Yes. Now, if the article was complete heresay, and the facts were just rumor, then you would have a point. Clearly though, that isn't the case. None of what I quoted, nor any of my comments, are rumor or inuendo. Of course, understanding that would take about an ounce of common sense. So with that in mind, your excused.

[​IMG]

City Council Passes Motions Criticizing Marines Office

By ASAF SHALEV
    Contributing Writer
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Members of the Berkeley City Council showed their opposition to a Marine Corps recruiting office in Downtown Berkeley last night.

http://www.dailycal.org/article/100144/city_council_passes_motions_criticizing_marines_of

Marine recruting office vandalized

Last updated Jan. 26, 2005, midnight

A U.S. Marine Corps recruiter discovered red paint splattered on the front window and entrance of the office Tuesday morning. The recruting office is located in the Louisiana Purchase shopping center at the interesection of 23rd and Louisiana Streets. The incident is currently under investigation and may be related to a previous painting incident. This past May vandals made handprints with red paint throughout downtown Lawrence as a protest against the war in Iraq.

https://tv.ku.edu/news/2005/01/26/marine-recruting-office-vandalized/

Marine recruiting office vandalized after protest
    Thursday, April 05, 2007
    By I. Harrison Kriegish, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    A Marine Corps recruiting office in Shadyside was vandalized overnight Tuesday, following a protest there earlier in the evening that was organized by the Pittsburgh Organizing Group.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07095/775380-85.stm

Oct 3, 2007 8:42 pm US/Pacific

Berkeley Marine Center Draws Anti-War Ire
    by Simon Perez
    BERKELEY (CBS) ― Marine Captain Richard Lund recruits college students and graduates as candidates for officer positions in the marines. But carrying out that job in Berkeley is not always an easy task.

He has listened to a variety of complaints from members of the anti-war group Code Pink in recent weeks.

"We are so shocked and horrified that the Marines have come to Berkeley to prey on our children," said Zanne Joi, a Code Pink member.

Last week, the Code Pink group protested by defacing the recruiting center and calling the recruiters liars.

[​IMG]
    February 21, 2005

For Recruiters, Antiwar Protests Raise Perils on the Home Front
    By DAMIEN CAVE

AST ORANGE, N.J. - The five United States Army recruiters who work from a storefront office here arrived on the morning of Feb. 5 to discover that a plate-glass window above the main entrance had been shattered, along with a window in the Navy office next door.

The shattering of windows here followed two similar incidents in New York City and a third in the Midwest that week. On Jan. 31, authorities said, recruiters at a station near the Flatiron section of Manhattan reported that a door had been cracked, and that anarchist symbols had been scrawled in red paint on the building.

That same day, before dawn, the police arrested a 19-year-old Manhattan College junior who they said threw a burning rag into an Army recruiting station that was closed for the night in the Parkchester section of the Bronx, and jammed the door locks with powerful glue. He was caught carrying a handwritten note declaring that a "wave of violence" would occur throughout the Northeast on Jan. 31, aimed at the "military industrial complex" in response to American military actions, the police said. A day later in Toledo, Ohio, a bucket of manure was thrown at the window of a recruiting station that housed all four branches of the military, the police said, and antiwar obscenities were scrawled on a nearby wall.

Since the beginning of 2003, there have also been more than a dozen other often violent incidents aimed at military recruiters or property throughout the country, according to the police, recruiters and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. In a few cases, vehicles have been set on fire; in others, blood has been thrown through windows. Spokespeople for the armed services have downplayed the incidents even as some recruiters have increased security at their stations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/21/nyregion/21recruit.html?pagewanted=print&position=