Welcome to PatsFans.com

Marine gets off on numerous charges

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jul 20, 2007.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Cpl. Trent D. Thomas was found guilty Wednesday of kidnapping and conspiracy to commit several offenses -- including murder, larceny, housebreaking, kidnapping, and making false official statements -- for his involvement in the April 2006 death in Hamdaniya, Iraq.

WTF!...So who thinks that it's OK that a guy gets no jail time for a guilty verdict on charges like this?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/07/20/Iraq.Hamdaniya/index.html

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The most important thing for me is knowing exactly what happened so steps can be taken to minimize or hopefully eliminate this sort of stuff. Its a serious black mark against the entire US, not just his unit or the military. I'd also contend that there has to be a difference between someone who was following specific orders, even if they were illegal ones and the person who gave those orders. A member of the military should be able to distinguish whether an order is criminal or not; but there is a difference between a person who fails to do that correctly and the person who choses to give the order. So if this guy's assisting the investigators I suppose I'd have to have faith in them deciding what he deserves.

3. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We hear a lot from posters here about pedofiles, rapists, cop-killers, and abortionists getting off on crimes they commit. But when a soldier in the field acts like an animal, he is somehow given a pass by society. I think this POS should be executed. What say you?

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think the fact that he was a soldier is a mitigating circumstance (in that situations happen much faster out there and it's not always as easy to make good decisions on-the-fly when you're in the pressure cooker that is a war zone), but I don't think it mitigates it enough for him to just get off with a dishonerable discharge. I would have liked to see some sort of prison term so the military could send a message that they're serious about conduct, but if they honestly think he's not likely to commit any crimes outside the military, then I don't see the point in being vindictive and giving him a life sentence. I think those higher up bear the brunt of the responsibility.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  5. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's BS, Pujo!
    How about a first-time offender of a similar set of crimes in a civilian context? What if that offender is a first-time felon? This POS is a felon dressed in uniform. What if he was a cop doing the same thing in a civilian setting?

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I think this is the same marine who was quoted as saying he didn't feel guilty because he saw all Iraqis as the enemy.

7. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's actually not even a dishonorable discharge, it is a bad-conduct which is not as severe.
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/l/aadischarge1.htm

I don't know the message they are trying to send with on this. They must have a lack of evidence or something. He was only convicted kidnapping and conspiracy? He must have bargained to testify for another trial. Maybe they are going to fry the Sergeant, because they say he did the shooting and ultimately he is in the one in charge.
    What a mess...

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 20 / -30

In war things happen that should not, the easy answer is to avoid war and all that is associated with it. I am not sure I could turn it off and on that easily, it is what it is the behavior of men who feel vulnerable dealing with extremely dangerous unknowns.

Glad to see the justice system is working, it is at best uneven.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Here's the message, and guys like you are insulted and embarrassed by it, I'm sure:
    "Keep on doing what you're diong, especially you psychos who instill fear in the locals to keep them in line".

What this POS did was terrorism by any definition. While the brass says they're fighting the "terrorists" in iraq so the people can be safe, our government gives our own terrorists a slap on the wrist and sends them home.

"What a mess" is right!

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +978 / 2 / -9

I AGREE, PELICAN BAY PRISON WITH ALL THE GANG BANGERS, THEY'LL TAKE CARE OF HIM, BURN HIS UNIFORM AND MAKE HIM WATCH.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"...Thomas, like all but two of the other defendants, had pleaded guilty in the case. But he withdrew the plea on the eve of sentencing after having an "epiphany." His lawyer said Thomas was only following orders.

...The defense also argued that Thomas' judgment was clouded by brain injuries from repeated explosions. An expert said Thomas witnessed more than 25 bomb blasts during his three tours of Iraq.

The four Marines and a Navy medic who pleaded guilty to reduced charges in exchange for their testimony received between one and eight years in the brig."...

I think I'd have an epiphany too, if I was looking at 8 years!

Look, Iraqis! Over here!
    You, too, could have democracy and justice just like ours! Whaddaya think?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/18/marines.iraq.shooting.ap/index.html

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +978 / 2 / -9

Br patient, another 9/11 will straighten all this sh!t out.

Everything will go away if we elect a democrat for president, then we can go to Dafur and kill some people over there, that will be the "Glorious War" Auntie Pelosi and Little Weasle Reid will Join The Army.

BRING BACK SADDAM he knew how to run that country.

14. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's a big black eye to all the hard work that our guys are putting in down there. The 1% percent idiots are the ones who get the headlines.

15. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's the same thing as having a felony in the civilian world. Most job applications ask if you ever received anything but an honorable discharge. He played the "I was following orders" card. Things happen in the fog of war but if it had happened accidentally, they could have told their chain of command that. They still would have some type of action taken against them, but they would have still retained their individual and service's honor. The testimony and evidence says they knew what they were doing. From the Corporal statements he isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, he portrays himself as a killing machine and seems to believe that is okay.

The military court system is falling into the same traps that the civilian system has. We have a big gang beating death trial going on over here and just like this case, and many in the US, you can flip over on one of the other collaborators and get a reduced sentence on a plea. I don't agree with it at all, military or civilian.

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +831 / 7 / -3

They going after the Sgt, Huttchins. It could very well be that the SGT acted on his own, in pulling the man out and killing him. If Thomas is under his command, what recourse does he have in stopping his superior, or even knowing what his squad leader is going to do. The article doesn't provide enough information to truly know the specifics of how things broke down. If Hutchins gets off then I think we'd have some issues. However, if they went into the house, and Hutchins flipped, dragged the guy outside and shot him, it'd be difficult for me to toss his underlings in jail.

Prosecutors accuse the group's squad leader, Sgt. Lawrence G. Hutchins III, of dragging Awad from his home, shooting him in the street and then making it look like he had planned to ambush American troops.

Hutchins has pleaded not guilty to murder, conspiracy and other charges in the case. He faces a sentence of life in prison if convicted.

Thomas changed his plea from guilty to not guilty in February, arguing that he had merely followed orders.

He told his attorneys that after reviewing the evidence against him, he realized "that what happened overseas happened as a result of obedience to orders, and he hasn't done anything wrong," defense attorney Victor Kelley said.

Thomas said in January, shortly after entering his guilty plea, that he was "truly sorry" for his role in the killing.

17. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It could be that way and I'm not going to say it's not. The problem is that you are only talking one pay grade difference, a SGT E-5 and a CPL E-4. The corporal has the authority and the duty to stop the sergeant, they are both junior NCO's. Command does not come into play, only authority. I don't mean to play symantecs, but they are vastly different in regard to UCMJ.

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I was thinking the same thing. I feel sorry for all the troops who have to hear this and know it's in the headlines. Makes a very tough job even tougher. The best thing the court could have done is slam ALL those responsible. I put the same blame on the soldiers as I do their commanders. All are guilty and all could have stopped it at one point or another, I think (this from an outside perspective, of course).