PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marine Color Guard not allowed to stay to watch Superbowl [resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Marine Color Guard not allowed to stay to watch Superbowl

I agree. I don't like the military nationalism at sporting events. It's the kind of thing more often seen in military dictatorships than in democracies. Nonetheless, if we're going to do it, it's absurd not to let those Marines watch the game. My guess is the NFL will quickly back down, and allow those troops to watch the game.

Nationalism? Hilarious...how quickly some forget that the people like them and the ones that came before them are the reason you can b!tch about it on this board. What problem exactly do you have with this?

Nationalism? Hilarious...how quickly some forget that the people like them and the ones that came before them are the reason you can b!tch about it on this board. What problem exactly do you have with this?

Let him express his problems with it. Thats what we served for, so that he *can* express them.

I have no problem with him expressing his displeasure. I may not agree with it, but I'll put my life on the line to defend his right to say so. :)

You mean, the risks these people are paid to take to protect us.

I have a friend who does tough jobs. Generally 3-400 feet underwater. He risks his life daily to repair tunnels, pipes, etc. I don't see him getting a free superbowl pass, or even a free drink at the local pub.

Thousands of different professions risk their lives daily to make life better for others. At this point, your average Marine/Army/etc is risking his life to pay for college, not for some noble reason.

I'm guessing your friend probably makes quite a bit more than your average soldier.

Thousands of different professions risk their lives daily to make life better for others.

I disagree with this....those people you mentioned don't do it to better others, they do it to better themselves (which is fine, I'm not saying anything negative) I will agree that the average national guard, reserves member is probably doing it for college, extra money, ect... more than anything else. However the vast majority of regular soldiers; marine, army, ect.... do it for their country. Most of them are 2nd, 3rd, generation soldiers and joined to better their country and themselves in the process. In addition there are a lot that joined after 9/11 simply because they wanted to do what they could to help.

Nice to see....patsfans strikes again!

Indeed! Our Job is done.

Now this can be moved to the NFL Forum........or political. Anywhere but here. Please, Mods.

Last edited:

I have a friend who does tough jobs. Generally 3-400 feet underwater. He risks his life daily to repair tunnels, pipes, etc. I don't see him getting a free superbowl pass, or even a free drink at the local pub.

Thousands of different professions risk their lives daily to make life better for others. At this point, your average Marine/Army/etc is risking his life to pay for college, not for some noble reason.

Wow, I had no idea you had such a keen insight into why we joined the military! I guess stereotyping is ok since we're Soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Seamen.

Welcome to my ignore list, jerk.

You would not even make it out of basic training.

I joined the US Army at the age 24, Pre-9/11, out of a sense of duty to my country, I always felt it was something I had to do for my country.
Most of the men and women I served with joined becaused they loved America, I have never met more Patriotic people.

The benefits in the miltary are not that great: food, a low salary, housing, health and dental, and a chance to go college if you survive your tour. Most European citizens get those benefits for free or for paying taxes.

So, what good are the benefits if you are killed, shot, or blown up. Zippo.
The men and women of the US Armed forces appreciate the benefits and opportunities given by serving, but to say that is the only reason is wrong and just dumb.

Thankfully the NFL fixed their mistake.

You would not even make it out of basic training.

I joined the US Army at the age 24, Pre-9/11, out of a sense of duty to my country, I always felt it was something I had to do for my country.
Most of the men and women I served with joined becaused they loved America, I have never met more Patriotic people.

The benefits in the miltary are not that great: food, a low salary, housing, health and dental, and a chance to go college if you survive your tour. Most European citizens get those benefits for free or for paying taxes.

So, what good are the benefits if you are killed, shot, or blown up. Zippo.
The men and women of the US Armed forces appreciate the benefits and opportunities given by serving, but to say that is the only reason is wrong and just dumb.

Thankfully the NFL fixed their mistake.

I have deep respect for you and others who serve our country from a sense of duty. But that's not always WHY people enter the U.S. military, and I agree with some of the sentiment here that military representation can be unduly deified at public events. It is, after all, an all-volunteer force. I'm willing to wager that just as many sign up for the job opportunity as for love of country. Recruiters sell it as a way to learn skill sets and earn post-service benefits. As for the NFL giving the color guard a pass to the game, it only makes sense that if it wants them there, they should get to stay for the show. That should go for anyone brought in to contribute to the spectacle, not just the military.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey