Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwedd

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Mods: If this is in the wrong place, please move it. I just figured the readership might be interested in this little gem.

I was incredulous when I read this, and after further searching, it seems to be quite true. Every year, the color guard provided by the military for the National Anthem to open the game is given complimentary seating, or at least allowed standing room to watch the game. Not this year.

The Thunder Run: Are You Ready to Get Angry?

What makes this petty to my mind is that Pat Tillman, a former Cardinal, lost his life in Afghanistan while deployed as a member of the Army Rangers.

Maybe I'm being a little petty here, but the Department of Defense is a BIG time sponsor of the Superbowl, as well as the NFL, and it just seems to me that the offer of watching the game should be returned.

Respects,

Re: Marine Color Guard not allowed to stay to watch Superbowl

As a veteran, I find this is complete and total Bullsh*t. The Marines should pull the color guard, screw that.

Goodell is ruining this league. How many fans is he going to drive away chasing the almighty dollar? What, the NFL can't afford seats (hell, standing room only?) for 5 Marines?

What a crock of sh*t.

Edit: I just tried leaving a message to the NFL (http://www.nfl.com/contact-us), but the GODDAMN FORM IS BROKEN, and reports an error when trying to send the message.

Here it is so I can copy/paste it later, when the form works, or I find an email address to send it to. Grrr.

"I just read that the Marine Color Guard that will be performing ceremonies at the Super Bowl will not be allowed to stay and watch the game.

http://thunderrun.blogspot.com/2009/01/are-you-ready-to-get-angry.html

As a veteran, I find this completely reprehensible, and a disgusting act by a league that is slowly losing my confidence and viewership. What kind of sick joke is it that you cant afford to find room (hell, standing room only!) for 5 Marines, that put their LIFE ON THE LINE in service to this country?

I fully expect to see news that these Marines will be welcomed with open arms, and allowed to stay for the game. To do otherwise smacks of corporate greed, and will cost the league at least this fan, if not many others.

Sincerely,

Robert S XXXXXXX"

Edit 2: sorry for the tone/language of this post, if you can't tell, I'm fairly incensed.

Last edited:

I am also a veteran and this struck a chord with me too. I figured that the Marines could at least be given the opportunity to stand on the sidelines or one of the end zones, etc.

Respects,

I'm not a veteran, but seriously, what the ****? Ridiculous.

This is terrible! The Marines deserve good seats.

How dare a private entity not give away its assets for free! How dare it!

:rolleyes:

This is going to get ugly very quickly.

Not the point... but do carry on, mmkay? ;)

I'm not a veteran either, but stunned by the audacity of the NFL! Lame, really lame.

I know they don't have to let Marines, or anyone for that matter, stay and watch the game, but then why invite them? That's like inviting your grandparents over to your house to say grace for thanksgiving, but telling them they can't eat and have to leave.

I can picture it now "Let us take a moment to show our support for our troops around the world, the Marine Color Guard is present, taking part in the pregame ceremonies..." (National Anthem finishes, the announcer turns to the Marines) "Now f*ck off."

Last edited:

I personally do not like all the nationalism at sporting events and would really like to see it go away. But if they're going to put on a patriotic show and wave the flag and all that then kicking Marines out of the stadium before the game starts seems to be about as hypocritical as you can get.

No doubt, the members of the Color Guard should be forced to pay some sort of fee just for being able to stand on the field before the game huh?:rolleyes:

I know they don't have to let Marines, or anyone for that matter, stay and watch the game, but then why invite them? That's like inviting your grandparents over to your house to say grace for thanksgiving, but telling them they can't eat and have to leave.

exactly the point...the NFL shouldnt assume the color gaurd comes if they are not willing to let them watch the game

and screw standing...how much will the NFL lose if they give away 5 seats? i mean really now

if i was Kraft, and i was going to the superbowl...(and prob had a booth, then i would invite them)

Very dishonorable to our troops with this move. :mad:

I agree. Either let them watch the game or get someone else to hold the flag during the singing of the national anthem.

Troll Score: 1/10

D- for effort.

This is so messed up on the part of the NFL that it's beyond words. Angry veteran Marines should invade Baddell's office and frag him. He is completely and utterly useless.

This is so messed up on the part of the NFL that it's beyond words. Angry veteran Marines should invade Baddell's office and frag him. He is completely and utterly useless.

As soon as this gets publicity on FESPN, PFT and Peter King etc.....Goodell will come out and say something to the effect of " we have no idea how this baseless rumor got started but it was always our intent that the color guard stay and enjoy the game." Way to be reactive rather than proactive.......

Shameful conduct. Roger G and his merry band of mega corp sponsors have lost their way in terms of decency and what is right. As a Canadian, I can't think of anything more un-American.

if they gave up a few seats to the military for a few extra bucks that is wack. they oughta be ashamed of themselves if that is the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes