Welcome to PatsFans.com

Marine: All Iraqi men seen as insurgents

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Jul 15, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

"Cpl. Saul H. Lopezromo testified Saturday at the murder trial of Cpl. Trent D. Thomas. "We were told to crank up the violence level," said Lopezromo, testifying for the defense. When a juror asked for further explanation, Lopezromo said: "We beat people, sir."

Within weeks of allegedly being scolded, seven Marines and a Navy corpsman went out late one night to find and kill a suspected insurgent in the village of Hamdaniya...Unable to find him, the Marines and corpsman dragged another man from his house, fatally shot him, and then planted an AK-47 assault rifle near the body to make it appear he had been killed in a shootout, according to court testimony.

Four Marines and the corpsman, initially charged with murder in the April 2006 killing, have pleaded guilty to reduced charges and been given jail sentences ranging from 10 months to eight years. Thomas, 25, from St. Louis, Missouri, pleaded guilty but withdrew his plea and is the first defendant to go to court-martial.

Lopezromo, who was not part of the squad on its late-night mission, said he saw nothing wrong with what Thomas did.

"I don't see it as an execution, sir," he told the judge. "I see it as killing the enemy." He said Marines consider all Iraqi men part of the insurgency."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/15/marines.iraq.ap/index.html?iref=topnews
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

Liberal Democrat Sore Losing Bush Haters eat this one up, 'Oh Boy", this will be right up there with "Underwear Head" and the "Dog Leash Lady".

Maybe Auntie Pelosi can Vomit on the Today Show while Matt Lauer crys.
    :bricks:
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

The way they have fought there, this is not news............ IT"S SURVIVAL for our soilders.
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

this is a disaster, a sick joke.
    why are we in iraq if our own soldiers see all iraqis as enemies, and if iraqis don't want us there?
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Look at it this way. If you got you're arm lopped off and the ambulance crew showed up. The first thing they'd do put a pair of gloves on before they treat you, right? Why, you know you ain't no dirtly, little, diseased skank, right? So why are they treating you as if you some bio-threat? As far they know, YOU ARE.

It's called universal precautions. In certain situations you must treat everything as potentially hazzardess {even if some are not} simply as a measure of precaution for yourself.

It's not unique to Iraq. Since time imortal, in war time situations while in hostle territory, all soldiers of any army, at any time....... will view military-aged men within the civilian population as potential threats. In Iraq, where most of the enemy combatants have no problems hiding within the civilian population, it's doubly important to do so if you want to live. Add to that the stress of war and you got potential for bad things to happen. Keep in mind the source of the article is the unsubstantiated testimony of a low-ranking non-com. I don't doubt stuff like this happened though.

Stop being a military hater for a second and think it through. It's common sense dude.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Be careful about what you read sometimes too. Remeber the whole Haditha incident? Remeber how one of the guys was accused of lining up 3 guys and executing them in cold blood. Everyone was aghast and Murtha basically called the troops murderers publically.

Turns out, it's not so OPEN and SHUT. In fact, the case against has been recommended dropped and all of them cases in real trouble. Bad stuff happens in the fog of war. It doesn't justify wanton killing of course, but you really gotta be careful about just beleiving everything you read, particularly in this war.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

---Get Bush---
  8. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

I can't believe this crap...please put it in perspective. I have friends over there..they consider all Iraqi men insurgents because the insurgents pose as normal Iraqi men, they use woman and children as human shields, ect... There is no "honor" in the type of tactics they use, thus our guys need to be sure they are safe before turning their back on any Iraqi man. Anyone of us here would do the same thing if put in that situation, and if not you probably wouldn't last long.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree...this has nothing to do with Nam and everything to do with Nam. The White House / Pentagon has fu-ked this thing up from the get-go, and now our neighbors and kids are over there wondering who's gonna stab them in the back? What a sick replay of bass-ackwards policy. Proves the clowns in charge never read a history book and our troops and their families pay for their arrogance once again.
  10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

1. How does that justify killing an innocent Iraqi man and planting a gun next to him to cover your ass?

2. How do we win the 'hearts and minds' of Iraqis when they know we see all of them as enemies? Even moderate Iraqis have got to hate us by now, what normal Iraqi person wouldn't.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +448 / 5 / -2

It's like sealing off a party where a crime has been comitted. A detective will assume that all the people present are suspects. When you are in a combat theatre, and the enemy has no uniform, you will suspect everyone as enemy first, friendly second. I'm not sure why people have a hard time understanding that.

Oh wait, I almost forgot who it is that can't.
  12. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Not surprised that you're defending soldiers who killed an innocent person and then planted a gun next to the corpse to cover their ass.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +448 / 5 / -2

Are you talking to me? If you are, quote me please. Where did I defend anyone who murdered another human being? Seriously. Please point out where I did that.

The only thing I tried to explain, which is near impossible to do when dealing with an M & M, is the practice of thinking enemy first, friendly second. If you walk down Essex Street in Chelsea at night, you do the same. You assume everyone is a mugger first. If you don't, then you're a retard. A soon to be walletless retard at that. :D
  14. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I hear what you're saying, but it just shows what kind of sh*tstorm we are in now for Iraq.

How do you expect to control the country, or help set up a government, or win 'hearts and minds', when you can't trust anyone, when everyone looks equally dangerous to you?
  15. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Sorry I don't want to ruin the "all iraqi's hate us" mantra here....but it's just not the case. The people that hate us and don't want us there are the ones trying to kill us. The general public wants us there and welcomed us with open arms since day1. Everyone focuses on the negative because that's a more compelling story (and i am sure politically motivated) ...but the fact is that there is more good than bad over there.

Before all the posters here try to tear me apart, this is true...i didn't get it from CNN, MSNBC, ect... (i generally don't pay attention to the news) I heard this from several friends who are either there now, been there, or heading back. These are my friends, and they are going into harms way...but continually share stories (the majority about women and children). Because they say seeing the difference they are making makes living in those conditions, and being away from thier family's, easier.
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I don't know who your friends are, I know soldiers who have come back and are PISSED and feel betrayed by the United States.

If you are a young Iraqi man, everyday to get to work you are searched and humiliated just to get past checkpoints, you are bombarded with news about soldiers killing innocent civilians or raping women, you remember that most of your country's historical relics and treasures were raided after we invaded, and even though Hussein was a tyrant the lives of Iraqis was better than it is now...

here's another example: if Russia decided its way of life was superior, concluded that Bush was a tyrant and a danger to the world, invaded the United States and destroyed Washington DC, all its buildings, and continued to occupy our land for 5 years, how would YOU feel about the Russians? How would any normal person feel?

This is why it is impossible to succeed in Iraq.
  17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Rosie? Rosie? Is that you Rosie? :rolleyes:

You are an anti-military hater and not even worth responding to anymore.
  18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

PinNY, why do you refuse to even try to put yourselves in their shoes? It's because you know how you would react if something similar happened to you. This kind of short-sighted, narrow thinking is exactly the kind of mentality that got us here in the first place.

If a country like Russia invaded, executed Bush, and stayed here, you can bet your ass most Americans would pick up a rifle and form militias.
  19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Who the soildiers or the Iraqis? I don't have to put myself in the soldiers shoes son, I've already walked in them.
  20. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The facts say otherwise.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-09-27-iraqi-opinion_x.htm