Welcome to PatsFans.com

Marilyn Davenport, Republican official in California, didn't think Obama as chimp e-m

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Apr 17, 2011.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

These chimps are smarter than the teabagger women who sent the e-mail

Marilyn Davenport, Republican official in California, didn't think Obama as chimp e-mail was racist

Read more: Marilyn Davenport, Republican official in California, didn't think Obama as chimp e-mail was racist

A California Republican party official who sent out an e-mail of President Obama's face super-imposed onto a chimp says she's sorry, but insists she wasn't trying to be racist.

Marilyn Davenport, an elected member of the Orange County Republican central committee, sent the e-mail on Friday. The "family photo" features the commander-in-chief as a baby chimpanzee with two chimp parents.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Re: Marilyn Davenport, Republican official in California, didn't think Obama as chimp

This is not racist;););)

Maybe a "porch monkey" discussion can now ensue.

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Re: Marilyn Davenport, Republican official in California, didn't think Obama as chimp

She doesn't see how its racist, her friend said Marilyns a kind gentile women who loves her grand kids and would do anything for anybody.
    One what a poor example she is for her grand kids, and two i'm sure shes a kind gentile women who would do anything for anybody who is white and conservative.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Why is "Chimp" racist with Obama but not Bush--------:confused:

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

As old as you are, as much as you've had to have done, seen and heard in your lifetime just by virtue of longevity if nothing else, if you can't figure it out there isn't anyone in the world that's going to waste their time trying to explain it to you.

6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Because the liberal race-baiting a$$holes, said so!

[​IMG]

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I suppose you don't have to be that much of a history buff to understand how that the portrayal of any African American as a chimp could be hurtful....but it helps. I've been discovering Civil War era history lately including some pretty racist films(early) chronicling so called events. I've been reading up on the KKK and the civil rights movements through the 60's. I was embarrassed to learn how bad it was and how so much has had to change to get us to where we are today. Knee jerk reaction by some is probably we've come nowhere but if you read what I've read lately there is no way anyone can make that claim. We have a lot to still do.... blacks and whites..liberals and conservatives.

Having said that, I can see a double standard to a certain extent. There are more and more people that don't get it because they ignore it, are simply isolated from or have never witnessed or maybe haven't heard of the stereotyping. Don't laugh at that. Times are changing and they may just have most fresh in their minds the frequent Bush-Chimp caricatures over the past 10 years. I get it more now than I thought I did, lets say this time last year because of the education but having said that those that haven't may not be getting it. Get it?

Certainly racists will instantly see the connection they want to see and blacks that have been subjected to it feel it but will there ever be a time where a white person can say anything...can ever get the same rights of free speech without instantly being labeled a racist? Can there ever be any benefit of the doubt or any kind of a pass be given or do we go straight to the ugly? We should never forget our racist past and present to a much smaller extent but at the same time we have to start to get past it too.

8. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

How old is this woman? If she were 19, I'd agree with you. presumably, though, she's much older than that.

As for Bush caricatures, those -- like some Obama caricatures I've seen -- were based on physical appearance, not race.

I wanted to see the image in question, and now that I have, I'm not sure how it can be viewed in anything but a racist context. A black man whose father was African, and it portrays his parents as chimps?

As for benefit of the doubt, she's further damned by her own apparent support for other officials who've done similar things (Obama and watermelon patch? really?)

As for your last sentence ("We should never forget our racist past and present to a much smaller extent but at the same time we have to start to get past it too") -- I really take issue with this. I'm sure it wasn't intended this way, but you're basically blaming the people who are calling her out for this. (Just like she's trying to somehow divet attention to whomever leaked it -- as if they're the only ones who did something wrong here, not her.) That is b*ll****, and it needs to stop. The problem with racism isn't that some people are overly sensitive -- it's that some people are oK with racism and racists. We have started to get past our racist past. That's clear. But the people holding us back are the racists, not the folks who aren't ok with their racist behavior. (I want to reiterate, I don't think you're intentionally doing that, but it's basically what the sentence says.)

9. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not defending the picture. It's the automatic reaction I have issue with. See I don't think it's right to instantly play the race card. It may be accurate, it may not be(it depicts Obama's white mother as a chimp too) but for all our good intentions, insisting on it means we are not making any progress. It's deeper than that. I recommend you read some Shelby Steele. As a matter of fact I just looked up a piece for you he did a little while back that opened up a new way of looking at race for me. I was enlightened.

The age of white guilt: and the disappearance of the black individual

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

1) I didn't think you were defending the picture.

2) I've read some Shelby Steele.

3) Where do you get the idea that it was an automatic reaction? I thought my post made it quite clear that it wasn't one.

11. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Do you agree with Steele?

The automatic reaction thing was more a general observation of attitudes coming from everywhere, not you specifically. Steele would say white guilt compels us to show our outrage. "See, I'm not racist"

To be fair I think the author of the picture damn well knew it was racist. At the same time I think partisan politicians are more than happy to advance anything that they think will hurt the other side, in this case it's this cartoon. I think Steele might be more comfortable with that explanation because it leaves race out of it and forces us to confront the politics of it(birth certificate), leaving Obama an individual, not a piece of a black cause that needs guilty whites to defend it. Maybe I'm over-thinking in this particular case but I think I'm headed in the right direction, generally speaking.

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I agree with some of what he says, disagree with a lot of it.

and I think the "white guilt" notion is largely bs -- in some ways it's as racist as anything else, as it essentially means whites are incapable of understanding justice and equality for blacks

I agree with all of that except the "guilty whites" part.

13. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +699 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I understand where PSB42 is coming from, but I think, in this case, the picture has pretty clear racist overtones.

Just hearing about the picture, I wondered about the double-standard myself, and assumed the photo was a partisan response to the years of Bush-Chimp photoshop jobs, which I thought were based partly on appearance and partly as a shot toward his intelligence. I thought maybe the picture in question was a jab at Obama's intelligence, which prompted the playing of the race card. But once I saw it, it became pretty clear to me that we're not talking about responses to Bush images.

14. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think it's pretty much as widespread as Steele does and I think many good tolerant, well intentioned people are blind to it. I think your premise is wrong. I think it means many whites feel it necessary to constantly prove they understand justice and equality for blacks and unintentionally wind up treating them as if they can't cope without their helping hand.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Racism is a two way street but the slobbering phony ass kissing do-gooders would rather cut their own eyeballs out than admit or acknowledge it (that in itself is racism) when one person is favored over another based on the color of their skin Thats Racism, when a person goes to the polls and votes for a candidate based on the color of the candidates skin, Thats Racism.

Affirmative Action Is Racism
    School Busing Is Racism
    A Caucus Based On The Color Of Skin Is Racism
    Polish American Clubs Is Racism
    Mongolian Polka Dances Is Racism

:rocker: "that should fire up the do-gooders harry"

:bricks:

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

maybe -- like I said, I agree with what some of what he says and disagree with some of it

Regardless, it's not an excuse for this woman's behavior, which is the story here, and her track record -- if what I've read is true -- shows an attitude that goes beyond an isolated incident.

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Another example of how conservatives accuse liberals and/or the "liberal media" of hypocrisy whenever they get called out on something like this. There have been numerous depictions of Obama as a monkey/primate/savage, etc, in addition to the Hitler/witch doctor references that became infamous during teabagger rallies, and whenever someone says, "Hey, you just called a black man a monkey. That's racist!" right wingers will pile on saying, "OH PEOPLE PORTRAYED BUSH AS A MONKEY, SO WHY CAN'T WE DO THAT TO OBAMA???"

As if that justifies what they did.

Some will even say that a monkey depiction of Obama isn't racist at all, neither is saying that he's "half black."

Suggest the skeptics take this picture and poll a dozen or so black folks, to ascertain whether they believe it is racist. Racism is usually in the eyes of the beholder, not the casual observer.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

My wifes brother looks like a Moose he has a long face and a lot of fur on his back.

Obama isn't half Black he's half White.

:bricks:

19. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Just so everyone is clear on this, I am not justifying the picture or the motivation behind it. The racist overtones cannot be dismissed just because Bush was characterized as a monkey too....though everyone knows Obama's mother is white so what's the generic mother chimp doing in the picture? Maybe so they can spin it I guess.

White history says loud and clear that Bush as a chimp means he, personally has not evolved, not that white people haven't. Black history only makes the case that Obama as a black man has not evolved. I get that but it does not prove it. Seriously, what if someone genuinely does think a back man is on the same intellectual level as Bush. Does it have to be racist to use the same caricatures? I'm not asking if it's smart to do. I'm asking if it has to be racist to do. And if someone does why do we insist on proclaiming it racist? So we can feel good and say "see, I'm not racist"?