PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Robinson clears waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigglesWorth

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
ROBINSON CLEARS WAIVERS

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that former Vikings receiver Marcus Robinson has cleared waivers, making him a free agent. He is now eligible to sign with any team.

Look for Robinson to scope out a playoff team with a need for a tall, jump-ball, "all he does is catch touchdowns" type of a guy. His best bet at making a real contribution could be in New England, where the starters are Reche Caldwell and 54-year-old Troy Brown.

Meanwhile, Vikings coach Brad Childress has denied that Robinson's statements to the media about the offense and his role in it played a part in his late-season release.

Since Robinson is a vested veteran, the Vikings are on the hook for termination pay in the amount of $117,000, which represents his final game check for Week Seventeen. But because termination pay is available only one time in a player's career, Robinson might choose not to exercise his right to the remainder of his $2 million base salary, in the event that he gets cut in the future under circumstances that might pay him even more money over the balance of the season.

I honestly didn't think it would happen. I highly doubt the Pats would pikc him up. But intriguing to sign him for next year.

It's hard to imagine us bringing him in this late but it's nice to know there's a semi decent guy out there to sign if we want him. My gut feeling is that Belichick thinks he's OK with what he's got, though. Not good by any means but not in the toilet either.

It's hard to imagine us bringing him in this late but it's nice to know there's a semi decent guy out there to sign if we want him. My gut feeling is that Belichick thinks he's OK with what he's got, though. Not good by any means but not in the toilet either.

I agree. They could always sign him and shelve him for next yr.

I agree. They could always sign him and shelve him for next yr.

Nah.
If we sign him, we sign him for THIS year ...
forget all about learning the playbook ...
and play him only on shots to the endzone
where his call is, "Fade route, you line up wide left and head for the back left corner."
Just like we did in the empty lot ... those of you who were there in the empty lot.

Nah.
If we sign him, we sign him for THIS year ...
forget all about learning the playbook ...
and play him only on shots to the endzone
where his call is, "Fade route, you line up wide left and head for the back left corner."
Just like we did in the empty lot ... those of you who were there in the empty lot.
If they were there how was it empty?

As long as he comes cheap, why not give him a shot? He isn't expected to see significant playing time anyway, but it can't hurt to have another weapon on offense. He would certainly pose as a vertical threat in the red zone that the Patriots sorely lack.

Though, I'm imagining the emergence of David Thomas might render a Robinson signing meaningless for anything other than depth. Have to imagine Caldwell, Brown, Gaffney, Jackson, Watson, Graham, and Thomas will be active in the playoffs.

This guy is not appreciably bigger or stronger than Doug Gabriel, and he might just be dumber and/or lazier, as he flunked out of the Brad Childress offense they're running up there in Minnehaha. Fred Ex-Football Player Mitchell was the 2nd wide receiver in that offense once upon a time, so it can't be that hard.

If we had wanted an undisciplined, jump-ball kind of wide receiver, we'd have kept Doug Gabriel, who had more experience in this offense, cost us a 5th, and was cheaper than anything Robinson will likely sign at if that termination pay statement is right. He blocks like a scatback, drops more than he should, and doesn't run over the middle well at all. He's also the wrong side of 30 and has had ***one*** good season, and is "graduating" from the worst pass offense in the NFL. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes