PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
That being said. Marcus Cannon is showing us a lot. He can even show us more by being effective in taking on a speed rusher like Wake next week. If he can, it will be he can become a nice bargaining chip for the Pats in their negotiations with Volmer. However I would MUCH rather see him in concert with Volmer as the starting RG next season.

That would be a HUGE "road grading" OL, with Connolly moving back to C. WHAT a run game we could have with the best blocking TE in the league on one side. Withe 1-2-2 formation and 4 solid RB's how could teams defend us. With Gronk, Hernandez. Welker and Lloyd, Brady would have a plethora of options in the passing game, and if they bring in the DBs you need to stop the passing game, they'd get shredded by the run game.

Cannon to RG is what I'm voting for....for next season.

I think that the "best of both worlds" would be for Cannon to show that he can handle RT at a starting level but to be moved inside to RG, with Vollmer being re-signed. That would be a beastly right side. Cannon's ability to shift outside as needed would provide valuably depth.

As much as I agree with everyone that Cannon would be better as a RG, Belichick seems to feel differently with his comments.

One could assume that they may change in the future, or simply be due to our needs based on specific personnel the past 2 seasons. I still think that there's a good possibility that Cannon stays right where he's at, for at least the immediate future. We seem to be decent with our interiors, as Mankins, Connelly, Wendell, Thomas, (assuming that he comes back) and McDonald are all worthy of starting labels on any given day.

Things may point towards Cannon staying at RT even more with the possibility of Vollmer's departure, should the 2 sides not be able to agree on a reasonable deal. Even if Vollmer stays, the outside of the offensive line would still seem to be more of a need for the immediate time being, although that could change due to offseason acquisitions via FA + the draft.

Either way, I think that he was a good pickup with a lot less gamble than many saw due to the specifics of the very high rate of recovery for that type of cancer. I see some of the same similarities with the A.Dennard situation, as he was a top 1-2 round prospect until many of the teams became scared of his situation. In the big picture of things (much like Cannon) it really wasn't 1/2 the deal that some feared and is proving to be a great late round pickup.

Our line is looking better than many thought, and is also looking like a staple heading towards the future with many good players. Another nice draft pick in April, coupled with an additional free agent signing or typical UDFA pickup and they will be pretty much set for the next few years. With the losses of Light and Waters this offseason, that is close to remarkable.

Last edited:
......chess vs checkers. This Foxborough operation is one for the ages

WereNotWorthyLeft.gif
Torch.gif
fe109b_090811patriotsmw005.jpg
Torch.gif
WereNotWorthyRight.gif

That being said. Marcus Cannon is showing us a lot. He can even show us more by being effective in taking on a speed rusher like Wake next week. If he can, it will be he can become a nice bargaining chip for the Pats in their negotiations with Volmer. However I would MUCH rather see him in concert with Volmer as the starting RG next season.

That would be a HUGE "road grading" OL, with Connolly moving back to C. WHAT a run game we could have with the best blocking TE in the league on one side. Withe 1-2-2 formation and 4 solid RB's how could teams defend us. With Gronk, Hernandez. Welker and Lloyd, Brady would have a plethora of options in the passing game, and if they bring in the DBs you need to stop the passing game, they'd get shredded by the run game.

Cannon to RG is what I'm voting for....for next season.

Yes! Cannon to RG and Kyle Long to RT!

I couldn't get past the 6 year old exploits

Sure a nice draft pick and a free agent signing would have us set for a couple of years at OL. The same is true of safety, cornerback, linebacker and defensive line.

This situation is not CLOSE to remarkable. It is indeed remarkable as of NOW.

Another nice draft pick in April, coupled with an additional free agent signing or typical UDFA pickup and they will be pretty much set for the next few years. With the losses of Light and Waters this offseason, that is close to remarkable.

Sure a nice draft pick and a free agent signing would have us set for a couple of years at OL. The same is true of safety, cornerback, linebacker and defensive line.

This situation is not CLOSE to remarkable. It is indeed remarkable as of NOW.

I realize your point, but I do not see the positions of CB, S, LB, or DL being even remotely similar. Every one of those positions besides LB (where we are already set for the next couple/few years with the extension of Mayo and the rookie signing of Hightower, not to mention the expected resigning of Spikes and having Fletcher return) is a position that is not anywhere near as stable as OL.

All of the positions that you named are positions that are currently in flux. Just a week ago the whole fanbase was in an uproar regarding the weakness of the secondary. I am not seeing the similarity.

DL is the biggest need of the team, hands down, and either one of CB/S can be drastically improved with additional draft picks and free agent signings, especially for depth.

The OL is one of the more set positions of the team, and an additional signing/re-signing or free agent pickup would easily put them over the top and keep the continuity for at least several yrs to come as one of the strongest positions of the entire team.

Last edited:
Curiously, we agree.

My point was that we do NOT need an additional nice draft pick for the OL to be stable for a couple years. The draft picks are needed much more by the defense. I understand that we may need to draft an OT if Vollmer isn't re-signed.

I agree that our need for an addition defensive lineman is much more important.

I would also suggest that, in addition to Talib being re-signed, we need an additional defensive back, an upgrade to Arrington and/or Chung.

If Fletcher is back at 100%, then we're fine at LB. Otherwise we need a coverage linebacker.

I realize your point, but I do not see the positions of CB, S, LB, or DL being even remotely similar. Every one of those positions besides LB (where we are already set for the next couple/few years with the extension of Mayo and the rookie signing of Hightower, not to mention the expected resigning of Spikes and having Fletcher return) is a position that is not anywhere near as stable as OL.

All of the positions that you named are positions that are currently in flux. Just a week ago the whole fanbase was in an uproar regarding the weakness of the secondary. I am not seeing the similarity.

DL is the biggest need of the team, hands down, and either one of CB/S can be drastically improved with additional draft picks and free agent signings, especially for depth.

The OL is one of the more set positions of the team, and an additional signing/re-signing or free agent pickup would easily put them over the top and keep the continuity for at least several yrs to come as one of the strongest positions of the entire team.

One could assume that they may change in the future, or simply be due to our needs based on specific personnel the past 2 seasons. I still think that there's a good possibility that Cannon stays right where he's at, for at least the immediate future. We seem to be decent with our interiors, as Mankins, Connelly, Wendell, Thomas, (assuming that he comes back) and McDonald are all worthy of starting labels on any given day.

Things may point towards Cannon staying at RT even more with the possibility of Vollmer's departure, should the 2 sides not be able to agree on a reasonable deal. Even if Vollmer stays, the outside of the offensive line would still seem to be more of a need for the immediate time being, although that could change due to offseason acquisitions via FA + the draft.
Sebastian Vollmer's departure could possibly force the New England Patriots to select an offensive tackle in the 2013 NFL Draft:

Nate Solder
Marcus Cannon
Markus Zusevics
Kyle Hix
Logan Mankins
Dan Connolly
Ryan Wendell
Nick McDonald
Mitch Petrus

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2013

The New England Patriots have nine offensive lineman under contract for the 2013 NFL Season. Practice squad offensive linemen Matt Kopa and Jeremiah Warren could be offered reserve/future contracts when applicable. Donald Thomas will be an unrestricted free agent in calendar year 2013. Donald Thomas return may be contingent upon term and contract value.

I agree that Cannon should be given some props for his performance. After all, we complain enough when he does poorly.

Yes, I do collect autographs at training camp, and his was one that I got. I'm mentioning this because I play close attention to the guys I get autographs from 'hoping that they play well and their stock rises.' Anyway, during training camp and preseason I was looking for anything positive from him, but it just wasn't there. Not only that, he was getting torched in spot duty during the regular season (especially the Arizona game). I'd given up on him. He was just terrible. I was TRYING to see positives but they just weren't there.

THen comes Thursday. When I found out he was going to be starting I was like 'oh, no. It's going to be a long night.' Sure enough, Cannon was a non factor which is the greatest compliment to an offensive lineman. When you're not getting any attention, that means you're doing your job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back