PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to say goodbye to Vollmer now and get it over with?

I'd take him back as a backup/swing tackle on a hugely reduced contract with injury clauses in it

if you have any starter OL at 6-7mil/year that is very good you're getting a bargain
and locked up for 5 years?

i mean the cap is flying high and will continue to do so, this will be a decent deal for 1st two years, than an absolute steal if his play continues at same level

A great roster building day for Pats.

1. Cannon: Securing RT spot for the future on a deal that in retrospect might look like a bargain. The move also brings most needed positive vibe to the treatment of the house FAs and gives motivation to other players as well.
2. Kilgo: Bringing in possibly the best DT option out there (with no trade window) who actually played this season and on one of the best DL units - and could be plug-and-play backup option if/when Branch is out. (btw: Pats worked him out before 2015 draft). “He can 2-gap for the Broncos but he'll need to develop a more well-rounded game to stick.“ It could turn to be the Derby thing - not filling all the needs of one team but filling the one need of another.
3. DJ Foster: Getting a prospect and a binkie from 53 (where he would be permanent inactive taking up the spot dearly needed for first Branch backup and later probably Brissett) to the PS (where he currently belongs) .. and being able to do it despite obvious interest from other teams .. is a great move.
4. Backman: Might seem insignificant but adding TE back to the PS (drafted by GB just after Derby, played on ST) to what became a very uncertain position (even if mainly for scouting team purposes) was certainly a need.

If I'm reading this correctly, Vollmer's contract will be tolled into next year. So if the Patriots wanted to keep him they could for $3.13M (not including the pro-rated bonus which be dead money if they let him go).

"Article 20, Section 2 of the CBA: Physically Unable to Perform: Any player placed on a Physically Unable to Perform list (“PUP”) will be paid his full Paragraph 5 Salary while on such list. His contract will not be tolled for the period he is on PUP, except in the last year of his contract, when the player’s contract will be tolled if he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular season game.

If you want some recent history when it comes to PUP players having the final years of their contracts tolled, you just have to go back to 2013 as the New England Patriots tolled the contracts of defensive tackle Myron Pryor and tight end Jake Ballard after both spent the entire 2012 season on the team’s Reserve/PUP list."

Expect Steelers T Mike Adams Back In 2016 Due To Tolled Contract Stipulation In CBA - Steelers Depot

He was one of the reasons why we lost the afc championship last year.. I wanted him gooooone. But he stepped up his game this year.. maybe he was dealing with some injuries last season.

Congrats to Cannon, he has been excellent its well deserved. Goodbye Vollmer, thanks for the great years.

Well deserved. Certainly one of the best tackles in the league right now.

If I'm reading this correctly, Vollmer's contract will be tolled into next year. So if the Patriots wanted to keep him they could for $3.13M (not including the pro-rated bonus which be dead money if they let him go).

Vollmer's 2017 cap hit if he does not retire which I expect that he will would be $2.25M which is his salary. There would not be any signing bonus proration and his 46-man active roster bonuses would be considered NLTBE in 2017 since he did not earn them in 2016.

The number of "gheesh Cannon" comments in the gameday threads has been down to zero this year.

He has earned the RT spot, and yes this means Vollmer is not coming back.

Hightower next please!

People were b!tching and complaining this past Sunday something fierce. Blaming Cannon for Williams getting free when Brady was rolling out right and making it easy for Williams to slip Cannon since he was outside Cannon's RT shoulder.

Certain posters were back wondering why Cannon was still around.

People were b!tching and complaining this past Sunday something fierce. Blaming Cannon for Williams getting free when Brady was rolling out right and making it easy for Williams to slip Cannon since he was outside Cannon's RT shoulder.

Certain posters were back wondering why Cannon was still around.
not at all what i recall

i saw ppl saying that Brady is greatly impeding Cannon with his continued roll outs to the right, pretty much meaning Cannon would have to teleport from one side of the DE to the other to stop him from doing a 180

$32.5m is #4 at RT in total value.

$14.5m guaranteed is #3 for RT.

Marcus Cannon is being paid as a Top 5 RT in all of football.

Hes playing very well but Top 3 or 4??

Seems like an overpay but if TB12's uni stays clean then so be it.

Right Tackle Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

The problem with that list is that it doesn't take into consideration when the contract was signed.. Cannon's contract shouldn't be up against guys who signed their deals 4 years ago.. It should be up against guys like Mitchell Schwartz, who signed his deal this past off-season, and guys signing in the 2017 free agency period. Let's see what guys like Mike Remmers, Andre Smith, and Byron Bell get before we make a decision on whether or not it's too rich..

Also, the devil is in the details. If some of Cannon's money is guaranteed only for injury, that changes things.

I don't disagree with the sentiment. Once a player gets to 30 in this league it's time to at least plan for the future. Remember Solder was one of just 3 picks the Pats have made outside the 20's and 30's (when the NFL actually allows te Pats to pick in the first round), around #17 IIRC And, he didn't start in his rookie year, until injuries hit. If I remember he played the Cam Flemming TE role to start with.

I believe that Solder, while not elite, is better than average, and you are right, if he plays his cards right he can retire a Patriot in 3 or 4 more years. Where we disagree is what the Pats will be looking for in the up coming draft. I think they will be looking to rebuild (or at least maintain) the defense. I think the secondary will remain mostly intact and is very good IMHO. But the loses of Jones Easley and Collins, and the ages of Long and Ninko, will compel the Pats to make this draft more about the defensive front 7 than anywhere else.

Solder is signed until after the 2017 season at the average starting LT money. If he plays well over the rest of the season and into next year, they will give him a 3 year extentiion at pretty much the same money. If not, they'll replace him. BTW- Remember Joe Tunney was a LT at NCSt

This OL has pretty good depth, especially if Jackson can come back healthy next season. We are also pretty deep at WR and TE (if they resign Bennett) We are also probably OK at RB for one more year, though I wouldn't mind a 2nd day pick of a big slasher to groom behind LGB.

No, Defense is where we need immediate help. I really like MBrown, and Valentine has been a pleasant surprise, as well as Flower's development. But we need to add more there and at LB EARLY in the draft.

I'll be honest. I believe that Solder has not played as well since his cancer battle. Not sure if it's a mental thing or he's lost some movement in his slides, but he's not been nearly as good as he was his 2nd and 3rd year..

I honestly expect the Pats to add someone who can be a LT in the draft. Someone to develop behind Solder. I don't see Thuney being an option because the Pats have flat out said they are keeping him on the interior. They may or may not add someone at center. Andrews has been ok, but he's not the level of Stork or even Koppen.

All that being said, I would agree that DE is a more likely place the Pats will look at in the draft. Especially with Ninkovich and Long being on the wrong side of 30. Yes, they have Trey Flowers, but they don't have much of anything else. Long is really only a short-term solution even if he's re-signed.

He was one of the reasons why we lost the afc championship last year.. I wanted him gooooone. But he stepped up his game this year.. maybe he was dealing with some injuries last season.

Von Miller was in the backfield as the ball was snapped (Stork tipping). he was also off-sides several times with no flags.

I can't blame that on Cannon, who had no chance with Stork tipping the snap.

not at all what i recall

i saw ppl saying that Brady is greatly impeding Cannon with his continued roll outs to the right, pretty much meaning Cannon would have to teleport from one side of the DE to the other to stop him from doing a 180

ALP - I could call out specific posters who did it. There were very few who actually mentioned Brady's rollouts, me being one of them..

So you're saying we won't be able to keep Vollmer as a 3rd tackle on the cheap?:(

What if (a big if) Vollmer comes back healthy, willing to take a discount (say 2.5-3M$) and finally returns close to his old self, or if we get a steal RT in this draft that proves to be a day-one starter ?

My point is : could we envision shifting Cannon to RG ? Could he be that versatile "open side" lineman that would give us the flexibility of lining up the five best and most proven guys available ?

The problem with that list is that it doesn't take into consideration when the contract was signed.. Cannon's contract shouldn't be up against guys who signed their deals 4 years ago.. It should be up against guys like Mitchell Schwartz, who signed his deal this past off-season, and guys signing in the 2017 free agency period. Let's see what guys like Mike Remmers, Andre Smith, and Byron Bell get before we make a decision on whether or not it's too rich..

Also, the devil is in the details. If some of Cannon's money is guaranteed only for injury, that changes things.

Sure but I don't think that changes much. No matter how you slice it if he performs and plays a lot, Cannon is being paid as a top RT.

What if (a big if) Vollmer comes back healthy, willing to take a discount (say 2.5-3M$) and finally returns close to his old self, or if we get a steal RT in this draft that proves to be a day-one starter ?

My point is : could we envision shifting Cannon to RG ? Could he be that versatile "open side" lineman that would give us the flexibility of lining up the five best and most proven guys available ?

Cannon played LG to start the 2014 season. He was terrible. He's never played the interior while Scar's been the coach. So I'm guessing they probably won't go that route.

Regarding Vollmer, you mention "willing to take a discount" of $2.5 - $3M. I'm wondering what the market would be for a 33 year old RT who missed the entire year with 2 injuries, one which is considered career threatening? I don't think that's "discount" money, I think that's exactly his market value at this point (plus incentives). He's the prototype for a "prove it" contract with someone, unlikely to be the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes