Welcome to PatsFans.com

Many voting for Clinton to boost GOP

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Mar 17, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

I find it hard to believe that many Republicans are voting Democratic just to sabotage the Democrats. I don't think many people are unethical in that way (though there are certainly a few). But, what I do think is that the Republican Party is trying to spin the fact that some Republican women are voting for Clinton and some anti-war Republicans are voting for Obama.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

This is the Democrats' choice, they can have closed primaries if they like. When I voted in CA, none of the Democrats were on the ballot. For a party about to take control they don't have their house in very good order.
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Some definitely have, but this story is willfully ignoring the facts. It tries to make the point that Hillary won Texas in part because of the Republican vote.

"It is also possible, though perhaps unlikely, that enough strategically minded Republicans voted for Clinton in Texas to give her a crucial primary victory there: Clinton received roughly 119,000 GOP votes in Texas, according to exit polls, and she beat Obama by about 101,000 votes."

Um, but what about the FACT that the Republican vote HURT her in Texas? Here are the exit polls from msnbc:

No matter how you voted today, do you usually think of yourself as a:
    Category % Total / Clinton / Obama
    Democrat 66 / 53 / 46
    Republican 9 / 46 / 53
    Independent or something else 25 / 48 / 49

So Clinton won the Democratic vote 53% to 46%, but LOST THE REPUBLICAN VOTE 46% to 53%!

Same thing in Ohio, she won the Dem vote handily, 56% to 42% for Obama, while they split the Republican vote 49% each.

The author clearly knows the premise is flawed, as they feel the need to say not that Clinton is winning the Republican vote, only that she is losing it by less! What? How about maybe mentioning the fact that the reason she won Ohio and Texas was strong showings among DEMOCRATS, not Republicans! Look at the graphic they include with the exit polls, according to their hypothesis, Obama should have won the Republican vote in all the early states by wide margins. That is NOT the case, look at the first 3 states, Edwards was more popular among Republicans in Iowa and South Carolina, and once Edwards dropped out Clinton won the Republican vote in Alabama. Any chance Edwards-supporting Republicans went over to CLinton? Any coincidence she won the Republican vote in Alabama and Mississippi, 2 similar states right next to each other, and got beat in every other state? Nah, wouldn't want to even think about that one, it goes against the idea that the Republicans are playing dirty to ruin Obama's campaign!

Sorry for the long post, but this is such an obvious job of dishonest journalism I couldn't help myself!
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How is it unethical? Were you equally outraged about Democrats crossing over and voting for McCain in NH?
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well done.
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That is an interesting point Patters, and one that actually can be supported by the data. The RNC definitely doesn't want to admit that high numbers of Repubicans are voting for Dems not to try and ruin the Dem primaries, but because they are legitimately upset with their own party.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't see why it's unethical.

In the general election I often vote Libertarian. While some respect that, many people tell me I'm wasting my vote and should vote for the best of the two bad choices like in 2004 (when I did vote Libertarian). Well, to me this is the same. The Republication nomination is wrapped up. Any (R) voting for McCain is wasting his vote but they can still cast a meaningful vote by voting for the least objectionable Democrat - which, shockingly, is Hillary for me.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

I just think very few people are motivated in that way, and yes if Democrats were voting for McCain to sabotage the Republicans, it would be unethical. I would assume there are small numbers of activists in both parties who might play that game, but by and large I think people will either vote for their candidate or not vote at all.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Independents, Libertarians, etc. are another matter. If you want to be seriously involved in the political process, you pretty much have to vote for one of the candidates. And, at any rate, you did not vote for Hillary to screw the Dems, you voted for her because you thought she'd be better than Obama.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Actually, I voted for Romney. But voting at the end of the day is to influence the election in your small way to the direction you'd prefer - and if that makes voting for who you perceive as the weaker of the opposition parties' candidates, so be it. That said I don't think I could actually get myself to do it.
  12. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

I am going to vote for Hillary on April 22nd in the Pennsylvania primary, only because I believe Obama in the most dangerous person ever to run for president.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

Obama will never be the president now or any time, he has been giving his wonderful goose bump speeches for months now and still nobody know what the hell he is talking about, NOBODY knows what is in this mans head, NOBODY knows where his loyalty really lies and if anyone were to publicly ask him they would admonished and ridiculed, many would be accused of Racism.

America will have a Black President some day but it won't be Barack Hussein Obama.

America will have a Women President someday but it won't be Hillarry Rodham Clinton.

McCain Is no bargain but he is your next President, I won't be voting for him, he lost me with his Illegal Aliens.

After the election remember where you heard all this sh!t.

:bricks:
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nothing the Repubs do in this election could ever begin to match the Dems getting votes from people dead and buried for decades.

Wonder how many times Mary Jo Kopechne has voted since 1970???

//