Welcome to PatsFans.com

Many potential Padilla jurors unsure of 9/11 attacks blame

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 4, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Saw this link this morning and found it interesting, they are having trouble seating a jury in Fla for the Jose Padilla case.. would not have guessed this, but maybe those who really believe that there is some kindof 9-11 conspiracy has a broader base of support, or maybe it is just an excuse not to sit on a jury for an inordinate amount of time. OTOH maybe it is just the continued dumbing down of america.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070503/APN/705031555

MIAMI -- A significant number of potential jurors in the Jose Padilla terrorism support case say they aren't sure who is responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, many because they don't trust the news media or U.S. government pronouncements.

"There are too many ifs, too many things going on," one male juror said. "I don't know the whole story."

Others say they just don't pay close enough attention to world events to be certain.

"I'm oblivious to that stuff," one prospective female juror said during questioning this week. "I don't watch the news much. I try to avoid it."

As of Thursday, more than 160 people had been questioned individually since jury selection began April 16 for the trial of Padilla and two co-defendants on charges of being part of a North American support cell for Islamic extremists. A jury is expected to be seated next week, with testimony to begin May 14.
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think the answers are heavily skewed towards people not wanting to be involved in a case that was so high-profile. I know that when I went in last summer I was willing to 'donate' a week or so of my life and therefore answered as honestly as I could; but if the case seemed to be one that might last as long as OJ's, I doubt I would have been so virtuous. I expect that the court is aware that someone like myself, being a contractor, might not have any customers left if I disappeared from servicing them for six months and would therefore probably excuse me; but I'd still be uninterested in taking the chance.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I had jury duty last year, and it was the first time I ever had to show up. It was dull, boring, and almost painfull. None the less, I'd have no problem serving were I chosen. Sadly, I don't know if most of the people around me felt the same way. They may have, but people don't seem to feel a sense of duty, or obligation like past generations did. IMO anyway. I think life is too demanding these days, and their is a aura of entitlement like never before. Again, my personal opinion and observation, and very, very generally stated.