PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manxman's Day Two Predictions

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Not so much a mock, more how I think things will and/or should pan out today.

1. This is a should and probably won't happen, but Cleveland now have a surfeit of pass rushers with the Mingo pick yesterday. So, how about a Mallett for Sheard trade straight up? An additional pick would be nice, but I think the value's fairly even.

2. Woods or Wheaton will be the first pick. In Woods' case, it might need a trade up using the newly acquired #102. I see Tampa as a possible partner as it gets us ahead of the second Bills pick as well as the Panthers and Steelers.

3. There should be a decent CB available at the end of round two. At least one of Wreh-Wilson, Slay, Logan Ryan, Johnthan Banks and David Amerson should be there.

4. I'm pretty sure that one of Mathieu or Lattimore could be a Patriot by the end of play tomorrow. The team stipulated that this isn't a draft to find starters yesterday. If so, then a high upside pick seems to be the right way to go. My money is on Lattimore because of his character and the interest the Patriots have shown in him.

5. A double dip at WR is pretty much assured now I'd suggest. My money is on Ryan Swope, Josh Boyce or Aaron Dobson but that could be way off. I'm still holding out hope for Marquess Wilson but now think it unlikely.

6. Still think OL and a coverage LB are possible. I still think David Bakhtiari or Barrett Jones are the likely OL picks (Reid Fragel as outside money) and think Khaseem Greene, Kiko Alonso or Jelani Jenkins the likely LBs. Greene might have to be taken at #59 with the CBs going with the first 3rd rounder.

7. I have no idea about the seventh rounders. I think another RB is a possibility (Maysonet, Rouse, Knile Davis possibly) a safety or CB and a returner. But who knows.

8. We won't trade any picks into 2014; I don't see the market.

My confidence level is minimal at this point. i'm just looking forward to seeing how things play out over the next two days.

Edit. Forgot Keenan Allen. If they don't want to trade up for Woods, then he might be a good bet if they stick at #52.

Edit2: When I say my confidence level is low, I'm talking about my ability to predict what will happen. i'm not expressing any disappointment with what's happened. Depending on what happens at WR, I like our position know as much as I did yesterday.

In the last couple of days, Mathieu has admitted he had to be coerced into playing the Championship game and implie to an NFL player he doesn't love the game, just loves the money that come with it and can't wait to get paid.

I wouldn't take him in the seventh at this point.

In the last couple of days, Mathieu has admitted he had to be coerced into playing the Championship game and implie to an NFL player he doesn't love the game, just loves the money that come with it and can't wait to get paid.

Yeah, I've gone from thinking that he'll be a good fit to worrying more about his character. I still think it a possibility, but of the two, I think Lattimore the more likely.

We got 3x 7's : Could see atleast 1 of the used on Mathieu if he drops. Other's could be Mark Harrison and/or Marquess Wilson. High upside/low risk picks.. Dennard anyone? ;)

According to Tom Curran there were 3 guys the Pats had the most interest in during the 1st round, two of them still being on the board at 29.

Of the three names I was told curried the most interest with the Patriots -- Sheldon Richardson, Hunter and Woods -- New England could have a crack at two of the three.
Curran: Pats go down and get quite a haul | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

The Hunter thing interests me because he is a guy that I would love, but not a type of WR the Pats traditionally look at. I also think if this is true it certainly confirms what most Pats fans think, that we need a WR. Woods makes a lot of sense and I think most here agree he would be a great fit. I wouldn't trade up for either though, I would let the board fall and see who is available because there is going to be quality players all the way to the late 4th round. I actually think the real sweet spot is early 4th where you have a chance to reset your board overnight and maybe take some risks on guys like Lattimore. But I would certainly sit at 52 and take the best WR, then maybe look to move down from 59. If a bad team wants to offer a 2014 1st though, all bets are off.

ESPN mag had an interesting article about him. The last half of the article made it sound like being in Florida at the pre draft training place he was at was just a massive inconvenience. One evening he's too couped up, walks around to get some air, and winds up saying "man this is the perfect time for a blunt."

ESPN mag also had an article about Lattimore and that one ends with him sneaking in more reps on his knee than his trainer had asked him to do, implying that there's no time to wait for tomorrow.

Oh, and a few predictions. I hit 3/4 in round 1 so lets see how I go this time.

Geno Smith will be the 4th QB taken after Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon (yes Glennon!)

After no RBs going in round 1, 4 or 5 will go in round 2

Matt Barkley falls to the 3rd round and ends up in the best situation of any QB in the draft

After round 1 was dominated by guys in the trenches, round 2 will be dominated by QBs, RBs, WRs and CBs.

Wonder if a de falls to 52. Tank Carradine, Margus Hunt, Damontre Moore or Alex Okafor. I could handle Carradine and Wheaton/Patton in Round 2. I'd like a couple of db's and an olb. But, could wait for the next couple of picks for that.

Not so much a mock, more how I think things will and/or should pan out today.

8. We won't trade any picks into 2014; I don't see the market.

Can you expand on this? If the next 30-40 picks are the real nice value of the draft, as we've heard opined enough to become common knowledge, there's gotta be teams out there willing to ditch next year's picks for the guy they want now.

Can you expand on this? If the next 30-40 picks are the real nice value of the draft, as we've heard opined enough to become common knowledge, there's gotta be teams out there willing to ditch next year's picks for the guy they want now.

I have no reason for it, let's just say i's a hunch arising from only three hours sleep.

My top day-two prediction is that the the Patriots make a pick before #52. :)

They have total flexibility now to move up and target two players in the next 20 picks -- likely including the guy they would have taken at #29 -- and still end up with more picks left over than before the Vikings trade.

How about one from each of these groups?

WR: Robert Woods, Markus Wheaton (Other considerations: Aaron Dobson, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter)

Defense: S Jonathan Cyprien, CB Jamar Taylor, DT Jesse Williams, DE Margus Hunt (Carradine would be an obvious addition here, but his health is a question mark)

...and the token wildcard:

OT Terron Armstead (just call it a hunch)

Last edited:
BTW

There's plenty of other directions I'd be more than happy for us to go. Tank Carradine, Jesse Williams, Margus Hunt, DJ Searinger/Philip Thomas, Josh Evans and even a mid round DE/OLB or TE are all moves I'd be comfortable with. As long as we get a quality WR or two, I'm happy for the draft to go in a number of directions. It's a good position to be in.

As long as we get a quality WR or two, I'm happy for the draft to go in a number of directions. It's a good position to be in.

Isn't it, though? If they had taken a WR like Woods or Hunter at #29, they'd pretty much have their hands tied from then on. But as is, they can still target their WR and work the rest of the board. I don't see how anybody can seriously complain...yet. ;)

Last edited:

They have total flexibility now to move up and target two players in the next 20 picks -- likely including the guy they would have taken at #29 -- and still end up with more picks left over than before the Vikings trade.

WR: Robert Woods, Markus Wheaton (Other considerations: Aaron Dobson, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter)

Defense: S Jonathan Cyprien, CB Jamar Taylor, DT Jesse Williams, DE Margus Hunt (Carradine would be an obvious addition here, but his health is a question mark)

It seems like they're set up to wait for either Hunter or Woods to be drafted, then trade up for the other -- let's imagine at the cost of a fourth and getting back a 7th. I would love to see them come out of tonight with one of the aforementioned WRs, a CB like Taylor, W-W, McFadden, or Ryan, and an aggressive defender like K Greene or S Moore. Use the late picks on raw OL and DL and a QB, and I'm a happy man.

Also wondering whether the Mallet rumors will go full bore here. The Pats would probably love another 2nd rounder for him. With all of the QB's left though, it'll take a team that
a) doesnt like the QB's left
&/or
b) doesn't think it'll be able to access the QB(s) it likes with it's remaining picks
&
c) likes Mallet enough to pay BB's Iron Price for him

I think there are three taller receivers that BB might prefer (Hunter, Woods, Allen) and two nice pieces that could also fit (Patton, Wheaton). I we just concentrate on the first three, will any one of them fall to pick 52.

There are 19 picks between #33 and #51 inclusive.

There will almost certainly be two QB's and probably three go off the board. Let's say two as worst case. That leaves 17

Eddie Lacy and Giovanni Bernard (15)

Two of the WR aforementioned (13)

Zach Ertz (12)

Terron Armstead/Menelik Watson (10)

Arthur Brown/Manti Te'o, Kevin Minter (7)

Larry Warford (6)

Tank Carradine (5)

Jamar Taylor/Johnthan Banks (3)

It's a close thing. If BB wants to secure one of these three WR's, I do a think a trade up will be necessary, but if they carry similar grades, not necessarily a big one.

5. A double dip at WR is pretty much assured now I'd suggest. My money is on Ryan Swope, Josh Boyce or Aaron Dobson but that could be way off. I'm still holding out hope for Marquess Wilson but now think it unlikely.

manman can you explain in bold...you lead me on to that guy and I am enormed. I think Wilson have a world of talent which will make him a Steal for someone. Wilson looked awesome at the combines I am hoping he's grown up.

manman can you explain in bold...you lead me on to that guy and I am enormed. I think Wilson have a world of talent which will make him a Steal for someone. Wilson looked awesome at the combines I am hoping he's grown up.

Just worried about his character. My heart put him in the mock but today my head is overruling my heart. As a prospect, I still really like him.

I would love Terron Armstead but I don't think we'll go to Arkansas Pine-Bluff for our first pick (BB likes big schools and conferences) and with so many OT's off the board already, Armstead will go early. Chargers, Lions and Cards could all use an OT and Buffalo could use an OG.

Really like his athleticism though.

This guy Evan Silva has us taking;

2a Margus Hunt - DE - SMU - Love it.

2b Keenan Allen - WR - Cal - Robert Woods still on board

3a Markus Wheaton - WR - Ore St - Anyone know a Dr. if it lasts longer than 4 hours?

3b Sanders Cuomings - CB - Georgia - Alford, McFadden and Amerson still there

4 Didn't pick a guy. But, looks like Khaseem Greene is still there.

Shaping up to have a very good day IMO.

Second-Day Mock Draft - NFL Draft Preview - Rotoworld.com

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes