PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manti Te'o, would the Pats draft him at #29 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as to your question of why BB wouldn't take Te'o, it's because he's soft. He's going to get eaten alive by linemen at the NFL level.

This is spot on, and the Alabama offensive line gave us all a nice look at how poorly he stood up to superior talent and competition.

I don't personally think he'll be an outright bust or anything, but he sure did play terribly against a bigger, faster OL.

This is spot on, and the Alabama offensive line gave us all a nice look at how poorly he stood up to superior talent and competition.

I don't personally think he'll be an outright bust or anything, but he sure did play terribly against a bigger, faster OL.

I'm not sure we should be evaluating prospects based upon one game - at least we shouldn't be writing them off based upon one game. Prior to that game (and it can be argued that he was in a bad place because he knew the girlfriend story was about to break), Te'o had been absolutely dominant.

He was slotted as a first rounder last year before he decided to return and prior to the 'Bama game was a possible top 15 pick this season. He's not perfect but he's still a damn good linebacker.

I have a better idea. On draft day, let's call him and tell him the Patriots picked him.

I have been away for a few weeks, so I might have missed something, but the hell is Highsmith?

Mods, please don't put this in the draft board. This thread has as much to do about Te'o as it does about our current ILB's.

Why shouldn't this post be on the draft board? Won't every conversation about a potential draftee also contain contextual conversation about the current state of the roster for the position that draftee plays?

Are we going to have individual threads about every possible draftee?

Mods please DO put this thread in the draft board section where it belongs! Sorry Scott...no way BB is going near this media circus freakshow!

Mods, please don't put this in the draft board. This thread has as much to do about Te'o as it does about our current ILB's.

What is everyone's thoughts on Te'o ? Don't get me wrong, I love our current crop of ILB/MLB, but, none of them have the overall package of talent that Te'o has. He's big enough to be a Pat's ILB/MLB 6'2" 255. He has more speed than Highsmith or Spikes, so he can cover TE's (Highsmith and Spikes, not good at that), he had 7 INTS last year, so obviously he has good hands and is always around the ball. The prior season he had 5 sacks, so he can get to the QB like Highsmith.

So what do you all think ? Would you take a shot at Manti Te'o at #29, IF he was there ? With Spikes contract up after this year, I would. He could turn out to be a great ILB/MLB.

I have been away for a few weeks, so I might have missed something, but the hell is Highsmith?

If I remember correctly, that would be Ali Highsmith of LSU. He was an ILB for LSU who was a little light in the pants and often injured. Easily confused with the rock solid Donta Hightower of Patriots fame.

I wonder what Manti's awareness rating is going to be next year on madden.

If I remember correctly, that would be Ali Highsmith of LSU. He was an ILB for LSU who was a little light in the pants and often injured. Easily confused with the rock solid Donta Hightower of Patriots fame.

Still an "SEC linebacker"!

Gruden joke.

What is everyone's thoughts on Te'o ? Don't get me wrong, I love our current crop of ILB/MLB, but, none of them have the overall package of talent that Te'o has. He's big enough to be a Pat's ILB/MLB 6'2" 255. He has more speed than Highsmith or Spikes, so he can cover TE's (Highsmith and Spikes, not good at that), he had 7 INTS last year, so obviously he has good hands and is always around the ball. The prior season he had 5 sacks, so he can get to the QB like Highsmith.

So what do you all think ? Would you take a shot at Manti Te'o at #29, IF he was there ? With Spikes contract up after this year, I would. He could turn out to be a great ILB/MLB.

He is a liability in coverage, the only need at LB is a coverage one so no I don't think that he adds anything in need or value.

I'm not sure we should be evaluating prospects based upon one game - at least we shouldn't be writing them off based upon one game. Prior to that game (and it can be argued that he was in a bad place because he knew the girlfriend story was about to break), Te'o had been absolutely dominant.

He was slotted as a first rounder last year before he decided to return and prior to the 'Bama game was a possible top 15 pick this season. He's not perfect but he's still a damn good linebacker.

I'm not claiming that I think he'll be a bad player. I am claiming that I think he's overrated. Could be a difference of opinions.

Lord, do they need another inside linebacker?
If he was absolutely clearly the best player available, trade the pick.

That position is the single deepest on the team with Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, and Fletcher.

He's definably worthy of the 29th pick, but he plays a position that is the furthest thing from a need for us.

NO! Teo will be a day 1 bust if he is taken in the 1st round. I would have more confidence if they picked up Tebow and converted him to LB rather than that dumba$$. Even by chance Teo is a decent LB, he would eventually end up in some controversial incident because he really is that phucking stupid if he really believed that girl was legit.

Even by chance Teo is a decent LB, he would eventually end up in some controversial incident because he really is that phucking stupid if he really believed that girl was legit.

You've got to admit that kid did a pretty decent impression of a chick.

I walked into the living room and my wife was actually watching Dr.Phil a couple of weeks ago. They were examining the whole Teo situation, so I decided to sit down and watch for a few minutes. They actually did a digital voice comparison and he had all of the FBI and CIA experts fooled.

Pretty crazy stuff, but I do agree that you'd have to be somewhat stupid to get caught up in a catfish type situation.

I hate to bring up the elephant in the room but I worry what kind of effect he would have on the locker-room. I know its 2013 and we are all supposed to be over such things. And I know he was born that way but a lot of guys will always be uncomfortable sharing a shower with a Samoan.

I hate to bring up the elephant in the room but I worry what kind of effect he would have on the locker-room. I know its 2013 and we are all supposed to be over such things. And I know he was born that way but a lot of guys will always be uncomfortable sharing a shower with a Samoan.

Brilliant!

I think he'd be a solid pick with the 29th pick...of the 7th round maybe. He's just another guy. Big slow linebacker. And he's not even that big.

Te'o said that he has met with 20 teams and that the Patriots are not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes