PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manti Te'o, would the Pats draft him at #29 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how does Teo this past year compare to Keuchly from the year befor?

I thought Keuchly had a great rookie season. If you think Teo is that type of MLB, then why would he last until #29?

Granted Teo is going to have to answer a lot of really hard questions in the interview portion of the combine/pro day/predraft vists.

But isn't this type situation why agents earn their cut?

He's got J-E-T-S written all over him.

when did we cut Mayo?

Mayo is woefully undervalued by some people around here. The idea that

none of them have the overall package of talent that Te'o has

when Mayo is on the team is absurd.

More importantly to me, though, is that Te'o isn't a safety or WR, which are need picks in a strong year for both positions.

Did people not watch the National Championship game? I know it was a boring blowout but Te'o got exposed by the Crimson Tide.

Did people not watch the National Championship game? I know it was a boring blowout but Te'o got exposed by the Crimson Tide.

One game, bad (or good), does not mean a player is not good, or is great, I look at the whole body of work, and listen to what the scouting reports say about a player. There have been several blowouts in championship games, where players from the losing team have gone on to be good to great NFLers.

One game, bad (or good), does not mean a player is not good, or is great, I look at the whole body of work, and listen to what the scouting reprots say about a player. There have been several blowouts in championship games, where players from the losing team have gone on to be good to great NFLers.

You're right. There have also been instances in which players that seemed great at the time were really just a product of playing weaker competition. Te'o, in the biggest game in his career facing the most elite competition he would ever face, was invisible in that game. But that's beside the point that Belichick just shouldn't use a first rounder on a LB as a whole.

It's more a case of upgrading what we have already. I don't see Te'o as bust potential, in fact I see him as a helluva linebacker. With Spikes being slower, and in his last season of his contract, I don't see how I would have to justify taking a possible great player. Te'o is a 3 down linebacker, who can do it all. Like someone else said in this thread, he may be gone by pick 29, and I agree, I see him going in the top 20, regardless of the moronic controversy he got into. I see him as an upgrade over Spikes.

I really don't understand why people are so quick to marginalize Spikes. He's a very good, albeit limited player. The proper solution would be to find a linebacker with coverage skills to sub in for him on obvious passing downs, and that's not something I'd spend a first round pick on given the investments already made and the glaring needs elsewhere.

What happened to Te'o has absolutely nothing to do with his draft status. That he found himself in a quick pickle and told a little fib has little to do with his character on or off the field.

He will be drafted long BEFORE #29.

Yes.
I don't believe what happenned will impact his ability to play the game.

Nor do I think he was that much at fault -- Starting relationships online nowadays is fine. I know plently of people who met on online dating sites. I even know a middle aged couple who met over 18 years ago online and were living in different states (ma, mi).

Getting that emotional over a girl he never met is a bit suspect, but I can easily see the reason that he pretended he's met her (because he didnt want to be embarassed).

The only question is if the additional media attention will affect his play.

I really don't understand why people are so quick to marginalize Spikes. He's a very good, albeit limited player. The proper solution would be to find a linebacker with coverage skills to sub in for him on obvious passing downs, and that's not something I'd spend a first round pick on given the investments already made and the glaring needs elsewhere.

This is Spike's last season, I'd be surprised if BB resigns a linebacker that can only do one thing, thump running backs. He can't cover TE's or RB's out of the backfield, rarely sacks the QB, just a one trick pony, and probably our slowest LB. Not saying we should, or that we would draft Te'o, but stranger things have happened in BB drafts. BB may not give a crap about the controversy Te'o went through, Te'o has all of the other intangibles that BB likes, size, speed, power, and LOVES football. Those who think Te'o will be a bust will be scratching their heads when he goes on to star for another team. I may be wrong, but he reminds me of safety out of USC a couple of years ago, Troy Polamalu. I felt Polamalu was gonna be great, and I get the same feeling about Te'o. Plus almost ALL of the scouting reports say great things about him. Controversy aside, he probably would go top 15, he may still go top 25.

A Roman Phiffer to the existing Ted Johnson (Spikes).

Teo doesn't buy the pats a thing in terms of ability, and the guy is an idiot to boot

This is Spike's last season, I'd be surprised if BB resigns a linebacker that can only do one thing, thump running backs. He can't cover TE's or RB's out of the backfield, rarely sacks the QB, just a one trick pony, and probably our slowest LB. Not saying we should, or that we would draft Te'o, but stranger things have happened in BB drafts. BB may not give a crap about the controversy Te'o went through, Te'o has all of the other intangibles that BB likes, size, speed, power, and LOVES football. Those who think Te'o will be a bust will be scratching their heads when he goes on to star for another team. I may be wrong, but he reminds me of safety out of USC a couple of years ago, Troy Polamalu. I felt Polamalu was gonna be great, and I get the same feeling about Te'o. Plus almost ALL of the scouting reports say great things about him. Controversy aside, he probably would go top 15, he may still go top 25.

This is so wrong I'm not sure where to start with it, but as to your question of why BB wouldn't take Te'o, it's because he's soft. He's going to get eaten alive by linemen at the NFL level.

Those who think Te'o will be a bust will be scratching their heads when he goes on to star for another team. I may be wrong, but he reminds me of safety out of USC a couple of years ago, Troy Polamalu.

He reminds me of Andy Katzenmoyer.

Yes, we could use a linebacker, AFTER we draft our more important needs: corner, wide receiver, safety, DT, DE, OT depth, and OG depth.
=============
And IF we were to draft an ILB, it would be at a time when Te'o were long gone.

Yes, we could use a linebacker, AFTER we draft our more important needs: corner, wide receiver, safety, DT, DE, OT depth, and OG depth.
=============
And IF we were to draft an ILB, it would be at a time when Te'o were long gone.

This isn't the year to target OT in the draft. OG (RG), but not OT. I would rather go to FA or put my faith in Cannon. Next year is the year to target OT.

What happened to Te'o has absolutely nothing to do with his draft status. That he found himself in a quick pickle and told a little fib has little to do with his character on or off the field.

He will be drafted long BEFORE #29.

That wasn't my impression after watching the Alabama game.

Free agency always comes first. I expect us to sign an OT. Even assuming Cannon is the starter, it is customary to have backups in case of injury at LT or RT. :)

This isn't the year to target OT in the draft. OG (RG), but not OT. I would rather go to FA or put my faith in Cannon. Next year is the year to target OT.

Mayo is woefully undervalued by some people around here. The idea that

when Mayo is on the team is absurd.

More importantly to me, though, is that Te'o isn't a safety or WR, which are need picks in a strong year for both positions.
I hold Mayo's level of play in such regard that he became my current favourite player on the Patriots some time ago.

Te'o has become seriously underrated over the past few months. Sure he had a terrible National Title game and all the GF drama, but he is still a seriously good football player and one of the safest picks in the draft. Having said that I wouldn't draft him at 29 because of the depth of this draft. I would rather trade down and take a player of similar value, much lower at a greater position of need. He's going to be at least a solid starting MLB with star potential, but he just isn't a fit here. Trade back, take a player at a greater position of need (WR, S, CB, OL) and give me Vince Williams out of Florida State with the extra pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back