PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax?

Te'O statement:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Last edited:
Well, um, thanks for going to such great lengths to bring literacy to the discussion. ...

Thanks for indulging me. Patjew prolly call me a tool again tho. tehee.

But gee whiz, when yer gonna make up a fictional girlfriend (and who of us hasn't done that at one time or another? At 3 years old, I concocted one named Jill Carcey. And not only that, I claimed she drove a Firebird and a Thunderbird.) Anyway, hey, if yer gonna pull a chick outta thin air like that, ya could at least give her a more believable name than freaking Lennay Kekua.

It's the ol' Doctor Prettorious angle.

Dude's a grade A bull****ter. He said they met in Palo Alto, and that he would travel to Hawaii to be with her. He obviously met her in person, and the picture used for Kekua's Twitter was of some other chick, so wouldn't he find it strange that she wasn't using her own pics? There's also interviews in which he describes her physically. Dude screwed up bad, he won't be able to backpedal out of this one.

So did he meet her online or at a football game? Hmmmmm

He just released some long BS statement on ESPN, he's screwed!

Man, this is like watching The Usual Suspects, backpedaling at the end trying to figure out which parts were actually true.

Last edited:
The odds of Manti being the first professional athlete to come out of the closet just went through the roof.

Cant think of a more elaborate cover story than making up a girl, killing her off, and then have no one question your single life the rest of your career because your jilted lover died shockingly of a terrible disease.

something that crazy has to work!

The odds of Manti being the first professional athlete to come out of the closet just went through the roof.

Cant think of a more elaborate cover story than making up a girl, killing her off, and then have no one question your single life the rest of your career because your jilted lover died shockingly of a terrible disease.

something that crazy has to work!

At this point, coming out and saying he did it because he's gay and didn't want anybody to suspect it would be better for his reputation than just admitting he did it to gain sympathy, and put himself in the spotlight.

At this point, coming out and saying he did it because he's gay and didn't want anybody to suspect it would be better for his reputation than just admitting he did it to gain sympathy, and put himself in the spotlight.

I think the best thing would be is simply tell the truth for once. Say you're a douche bag and did something stupid, got exposed, and move on.

This is hilarious, keep on diggin Manti!

I think the best thing would be is simply tell the truth for once. Say you're a douche bag and did something stupid, got exposed, and move on.

That's what I'm saying. If in truth, he did because he's gay (which a lot of people are speculating is the reason) would be better for him than just making it up because he wanted to be Tebow 2.0 in the eyes of the public.

That's what I'm saying. If in truth, he did because he's gay (which a lot of people are speculating is the reason) would be better for him than just making it up because he wanted to be Tebow 2.0 in the eyes of the public.

Oh okay I didn't know about the gay speculation. If he is gay I totally agree

Very creative. :D

Almost as creative as choosing a well-known character from a generically formulaic Hollywood Blockbuster for your avatar. Oy.

Hi Konta. Wat's poppin'? (lol. I jus' like sayin' hi ta Kontra every once in a while)

An' plus, unlike u said in 'nuther thread, I don't think Woody's boo-boo on his thumb will impede his blocking ability. (there. 2 birds.)

Almost as creative as choosing a well-known character from a generically formulaic Hollywood Blockbuster for your avatar. Oy.

Hi Konta. Wat's poppin'? (lol. I jus' like sayin' hi ta Kontra every once in a while)

An' plus, unlike u said in 'nuther thread, I don't think Woody's boo-boo on his thumb will impede his blocking ability. (there. 2 birds.)

Speaking of coming out...

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Some people make up a girlfriend because they think it makes them cooler, brings them some kind of social legitimacy to have a girlfriend.

Te'o is a decorated linebacker for Notre Dame. What reasons would he have to make something up to fit in??? The kid is gay, and created the fictional long distance girlfriend to cover it up. When he realized the story could eventually fail, he "killed her off" to cover his tracks. Makes too much sense/

Unfortunately for him, American journalists really have nothing better to do :)

Last edited:
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Some people make up a girlfriend because they think it makes them cooler, brings them some kind of social legitimacy to have a girlfriend.

Te'o is a decorated linebacker for Notre Dame. What reasons would he have to make something up to fit in??? The kid is gay, and created the fictional long distance girlfriend to cover it up. When he realized the story could eventually fail, he "killed her off" to cover his tracks. Makes too much sense/

Unfortunately for him, American journalists really have nothing better to do :)

I just find it hard to believe that a gay Mormon exists. Not a bad idea for damage control, though.

Last edited:
left unsaid is the long long line of "journalists" who reported on the dead girlfriend story without investigating anything at all about her

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back